Old 01-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #1

Cool Retro Awning

Hi -- I'm seriously considering making myself a retro awning with fringe, poles, etc, as I really like the look, for my "new" 1967 26' Overlander. I know that a Zip Dee would be much easier, but the old fashioned look appeals to me, and to be able to make it deeper than the zip dees would seem to be a plus. What a drag, though, trying to feed the awning into the awning rail. Is there an easy way? And, do we really have to do this, and take the whole thing down every time we move? Any info or suggestions would be great, before I invest in fabric, etc. Thanks, Gail

Old 01-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Slide in/Slide out: NOT!

You might try to reach Shari ("InsideOut" is forum name..) as she indicated in past thread she was going to make pole/fringe awning for her vintage trailer... (Or search and read threads with key-word "awning" or "pole")

The awning rails are not really designed for sliding an entire awning in and out every time you rig an awning, so even if you make free-standing model with fringe and poles, I'd have shop (or friend with powerful sewing machine..) rig a stub to stay in the channel permanently, and a zipper or velcro'd seam for awning fabric, so you can set up and take down in hurry. Neither would be fully waterproof in the rain, but then that might be manageable in light of other rain issues noted here this month...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
J.C. Whitney sells pre made of that style.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...p-2085/c-10107
I'm weighing the pros and cons myself. I have located a used awning but shipping and the price are going to be big factors. I think I could make one for around the same price. I also think 12ft out from side of the coach is a better width allowing for a standard picnic bench to be under the awning with plenty of room to walk around it to get in and out of the camper.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Here's an old thread with 'everything I know about vintage (looking) awnings'. Good luck ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Gail,

Welcome to the forum!

I am also going to make a pole awning. I bought the fabric months ago, and finally got a sewing machine for Christmas. With a little more practice I think I will be ready to give it a shot. I saw a lot of vintage awnings at rallys this summer, and had a chance to kind of figure out the good and the bad about them. Everyone I saw took them completely off for travelling, but I was mostly checking out the smaller trailers like mine.

Have fun reading that other thread, LOTS of info there!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
My Grandparents Airstream

2007 28' Safari SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Selking
Hi Gail,

I Have a 59 28ft. Ambassador and I Bought one from JC Whittney for about $170.00
it is white with gold strips they come in several lengths. It comes with the poles and ropes . It is a little hard setting up, but is worth it if you want the vintage look and all of the complements from fellow airstreamers about how good your trailer looks with the vintage awning.
WBCCI #6062
International 3rd Vice President

"Airstream the Best trailer ever built."
Andrew Selking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Here's an old thread with 'everything I know about vintage (looking) awnings'. Good luck ~

Shari
Shari -- I haven't yet figured out how this forum works, and how to reply. Thanks for all the info. I am planning to make my vintage awning, or if I'm not able to sew it on my machine, I have a local group who will sew, after I design it! I would love to see some pictures of vintage awnings. A local awning maker has some material which is now used to thread the awning through the track. My old one has rope, which is a real pain. I too am interested in individual awnings for my other windows, and would be interested in finding out about the snap system. Gail
Old 01-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailmbuck
I would love to see some pictures of vintage awnings.
Did you see all the pictures linked to the old thread? Especially in post #56 as well as some others?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Craftsman

Instead of a channel in the fabric that a pole slides through,it seems that a quicker way of setting up the awning might be to use velcro tabs that wrap around the pole in spaced locations like some of the commerical vendors tents use.These are sewn in on the underside at the seam between the roof and the valance.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Retro Awning

Shari,

Your pictures are great. The perfect awning for our Airstreams!

The Paces
69 Overlander
WBCCI 7287
Old 01-11-2005, 04:12 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
After seeing a bunch of awnings in person my impression was that extra poles slid into the edges of the awning fabric doesn't add any stability to the awning, only complexity in setting it up. If the anwing has enough upright poles along the front edge for it's length, and they are staked up tightly, then the awning will be secure, even in fairly strong winds. I saw one awning that relied on a frame to keep it's shape, so they wouldn't have to stake out the uprights, and it made for some excitement when the wind picked up!

Basically you just need a way to attach it to the trailer, gromits for the upright poles to go through (one on each corner, and some in the middle if your awning is long), and two ropes per pole securely staked to the ground with tight ropes. Very simple, and it works.

Some people use a higher pole in the center position to make the awning more tentlike so rain will run off, which seems like a good idea.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote