Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Cortland , Ohio
Smile Replaced carefree with rope and pole

We recently replaced a Carefree awning with a rope and pole awning from Marti's Awnings. Love it! She even made window shade/awnings for us for the windows not under the large awning. Setting up took about 15 min. the first time out and I suspect we will get quicker with experience. Did take 2 people and 1 ladder to install, maybe because it is a 9 x 15 on an Overlander, but it is well worth the effort. We were parked in one location for several days so we simply took the poles down, left the stakes in and loosely rolled the awning up and secured it above the door near the awning rail when we were concerned about wind. The awning folds up to about the size of a sleeping bag for storage and travel. We kept what was left of our Carefree roller and arms and may have parts for anyone looking to make their old Carefree work, but if you are considering a rope and pole awning, go for it. Can't beat the look or the cost!
64ovrlndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I love my rope and pole (except for setting it up- I travel solo mostly). Rope and pole rigs can take A LOT of wind just fine. I rig mine with a fail-safe that allows me to leave it up and not worry. It works like this: pole goes through grommet in awning and the guy line is looped over the tip of the pole (I prefer a taunt line hitch). This holds is strong wind BUT should the wind get too strong the pole/awning/rope assembly disengages and the worst that happens is the loose end of the awning goes over the top of the camper. This has only happened a coupe times in over five years of pretty heavy use. I don't worry at all about leaving my awning up when I leave camp.

For rain, loosen up the outside poles so there is four or five inches of sag between poles (I don't use a middle pole anymore). When water accumulates it auto dumps. Alternatively, if the terrain works, just drop one end of the awning about a foot and tighten up the ropes. I should point out that I don't use adjustable poles but ones I have made out of wooden dowel.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Pictures?

We ordered an awning from Marti just a couple of weeks ago and are eargerly anticipating it's arrival in the next week or so. Would love to see photos of your awning.

Tina
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Canfield , Ohio
rope and pole awning pics

Here are a couple of pics of our new awning by Marti.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rita's pics&kathy's airstream 004.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	135627   Click image for larger version

Name:	rita's pics&kathy's airstream 005.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	135628  

dynastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I love those awnings...and I will get one or two in the future. I HATE them in crowded camp and Rally areas. At night the ropes are flat out dangerous in low light. I have seen folks triped and hurt from the stakes and ropes. I wonder about liabilities. The worst I saw two years ago was an older fella who tripped on the rope, fell on his 1940's Martin Guitar..(worth way more than any of our Airstreams)...and broke his shoulder.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I put a rechargeable solar light on each of my tent stakes to illuminate them at night.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Cortland , Ohio
awning pics

Dynastream posted the awning photos for me. That awning is from Marti and she also made window covers out of the same sunbrella fabric but I didn't have them at the time those photos were taken. I am really pleased with the rope and pole awning and the idea about using solar lights at the stakes is one that I will use. Thanks!
64ovrlndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1978 25' Tradewind
NEW LENOX , Illinois
Sent you a PM. I'm interested in your Carefree parts.

Thanks, John H
johnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
I put a rechargeable solar light on each of my tent stakes to illuminate them at night.
Rodney,

Do you happen to have a photo of these solar lights or the name of them? It seems there are so many styles and price ranges, I wondered what you were using. It seems like a great idea.

Thanks!

Tina
Old 07-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree View Post
Rodney,

Do you happen to have a photo of these solar lights or the name of them? It seems there are so many styles and price ranges, I wondered what you were using. It seems like a great idea.

Thanks!

Tina
Tina, We got ours from Wal-Mart! They were @ $3.00 each. I have since also seen them @ K-mart, Target and Lowes/Menards/Farm stores in our area. Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Rodney,

Thanks!

Tina
Tina, mine are several years old now. I believe they came from Lowes and were in the $3 range. Like Biged says, there are lots of places to get them on the cheap. As far as I know, you are as well off with the cheap ones as the pricier ones for this application.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Thanks for the info Ed and Rodney! I didn't know if there were special "camper" solar lights that were a bit different, you know there are so many special camping items out there (read: more expensive) so I'm glad to know I can do a bit of shopping around to find the ones I like best .

Tina
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Thanks for the info Ed and Rodney! I didn't know if there were special "camper" solar lights that were a bit different, you know there are so many special camping items out there (read: more expensive) so I'm glad to know I can do a bit of shopping around to find the ones I like best .

Tina
On further thought, cheaper might even be better. Mine do not put out a lot of light. This is fine as their job is just to mark off the boundary of the awning area. They do this fine without putting out so much light that they are annoying. Some of the more expensive lights do put out a great deal of light and would be to harsh for my taste.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Special Solar Lights!!!!

Quote:

Tina

Tina, As a matter of fact there are special "camper" solar lights! My DW found some with pink exteriors and flamingo prints around the solar cell on the top of the light chamber. She found them at Hobby Lobby. They are not quite what I want around my trailer! However, a recent find at our local Farm and Fleet store has a 2-1/2 foot stake topped with a plastic flamingo that lights up at dusk and doesn't push the tacky meter too high up the scale. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #15
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
The Best Awning

So Glad to hear more people are using this great service Marti has She made us ours which was at the time the longest she has made 26 ft , her husband made the 4 poles it is a chore to put up though takes Rondi and I about 20 minutes, we made our own rope tie downs using color appropriate blue and white to match the fabric made tighteners out of 3/4 inch wood dowels drilled through middle for the rope to thread through, we use 2 ways of set up depending where we are at one way is 2 guide ropes on each pole for high wind areas, which we have been in 40 mph gust with no issue just trailer felt like it was flying held in place by awning. other configuration is 2 ropes on each end and 1 rope each in middle. we also use re-bar in ground to hold down ropes with soler lights fitted over the re-bar and the ones with flamingo's from hobby lobby, one note I would love to have some made for windows on other side just don't know how to attach them will have to check with Marti
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070-2.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	136697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	136698