Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Replace perfect ZipDee awning with power awning?

Would appreciate words of advice on whether I'm nuts to consider replacing my perfect awning (2012 23D FC) with a power awning. I travel about two to three months a year solo, and I don't have the upper arm strength to set my awning manually, so I find myself very reluctant to deploy it. I'm a 5'5" woman and not a wimp but I find myself wishing I could just push a button and have a fully set awning.
Pros and cons? Approx cost? If you've done this, are you glad you did? And--who does it best...Jackson Center?
Thanks, 'stream on.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Before you spend money, have you tried something like this: Get a stable step-stool/short stepladder and get a step or two up before trying to extend or retract the awning. I"m 5'9" and I notice that if I'm standing in the right place to be able to push on the awning roll, it's extremely easy to extend the main arm but if I'm not, it requires a lot of force. The first couple of times I just pushed because I could, but eventually realized that being able to push out and up at the same time on the roll required MUCH less force. I'm barely tall enough for the last click so I wonder if having a step might make it easy for you and save you thousands...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Are there any good tips in this video?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The factory installed power awning works pretty well. I see no downside to having Jackson Center do the work other than convenience. The normal cautions about wind and rain still apply to a power awning. The risk you multiply with a power awning you can't retract manually is a failure of some sort. At that point you are very much stuck where you are. I'd make sure that you can still do the manual retract stuff in an emergency....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Gotta disagree with Uncle Bob. There have been many reports of problems on this forum with the power awning. It could be that Airstream is over the growing pains, but there is no accurate way to tell. On the road solo, you do not want a problem with a power awning that will not retract.
I am 5'6" and 135 lbs; the awning was a bit of a challenge until: Zipdee sells two handles that flip down and attach to the arm. Gives you plenty of leverage to extend and retract. In addition I added a small folding step stool that I only need some of the time, depending on the site. Between the two, you can do a manual awning without problems.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I didn't watch the whole video but there are some good you tube videos out there. One of which gave me the hint pushing the awning arms is a lot easier than pulling. There are also handles which give you a better position.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Replace perfect ZipDee awning with power awning?

Thank you, everyone, for the very helpful comments....will try using my step ladder and explore the handles. Love this Forum!
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the very helpful comments....will try using my step ladder and explore the handles. Love this Forum!
Amazon has 2 step plastic stool that snaps open and shut folds flat very sturdy not heavy, easily stores in closet plus handles makes job easy, much better than metal step stools, plus can reach wheels w/out wand, but I'm 5/10.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Rubbermaid makes a very stable step stool with 2 steps. We use it for the Airstream and truck camper. About $30. Ace seems to be the easiest place to find one.

Important tip here... If you have an Airstream that has the small diameter pegs that secure the rafter arms in travel, contact Zipdee and get the larger diameter pegs that will not allow the rafter arm claws to be stored improperly. You can break the claw casting if you store it in the wrong spot. Including mine, I know of 6 or 7 folks who have broken them.

It's about a 10 minute job to replace them.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Sugar Land , Texas
Well Yes and No on the not being able to retract the power awning. The awning comes with a cord that connects from the battery to the primary motor in the roll. I've had to use mine once and the awning has worked fine since. Don't believe those who rag and rag because their are some bad reviews in years past. Zip Dee had completely redesigned the system. They gave me all the motors and parts free to update mine and it runs fine. Call zip dee they are great people and will tell you everything truthfully
us3rnam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
I would be very leary of the power awning. At the beginning i too had issues deploying the regular awning, but as others have pointed out it takes more technique than strength, and once you "master" the art of opening the awning with the help of some tools (read a step stool) it does not take much strength at all. We carry a 2 step aluminium ladder that I find useful for many jobs, and doubles as a stool to sit on. It lets me reach up and grab the initial strap, then I walk down and away to delpoy it. You might find a handy weight helps so that you can run a strap through the weight and the awning pull to keep the awning open while you work on the side posts. A jug gallon jug of water and a cord or luggage strap would do. I have found over time there are a lot of "tricks" to this trade.

Hope this helps
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
I try and stay away from anything that uses more battery power - and things that are noisy, I try to avoid the generators as they annoy fellow campers, and when boondocking we are energy misers to stretch out our battery use. Also when something mechanical goes wrong it is often much easier to fix than something that is mechanical AND electrical....
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Noooooo!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
we love our power awning, and power stabilizers, the only thing we did was have Zip Dee change the electronic board (an update recommended, was not an issue) and have Airstream install a switch to turn the power off/on. If I spent all of my time worrying about what "some" people say could go "wrong" I wouldn't enjoy my Airstream
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #15
CAV
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Dubuque , Iowa
I'd call ZipDee and ask what your options are.
--I'm solo and love my electric awning and use it a lot. But roll in at night and when I'm gone.
-- ZipDee has just upgraded their circuit board to fix previous issues (gave me one free at Alumapalooza).
-- see if ZipDee can retrofit your existing awning.
--there is a kit to manually take it down. Greg the ZipDee rep just gave a seminar at Alumapalooza 2017.
CAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Ive found the manual Zip-Dee awning pretty easy to extend manually. The most difficult or time consuming item is the circular locks which secure the awning on each end. Trying to line these up and loosen or tighten those with the supplied rod is really a pain.

What I've done is buy a two step aluminum ladder. I stand on this and have enough height to turn the knobs by hand. First it's easy to unscrew and secondly you can make sure those knobs are tight and holding the awning securely. With your height you probably will need a taller ladder since I'm 5'9".

As far as standing on a ladder to pull out the awning, I'd advise against that since that becomes a balance issue and if you lean the wrong way, you will go tumbling off and may lose control of the awning having it snap back hard against the trailer. The rod is plenty long to allow you to pull the awning away from the trailer or hold it security when retracting. In those cases I think having two feet on the ground is a lot safer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
we love our power awning, and power stabilizers, the only thing we did was have Zip Dee change the electronic board (an update recommended, was not an issue) and have Airstream install a switch to turn the power off/on. If I spent all of my time worrying about what "some" people say could go "wrong" I wouldn't enjoy my Airstream

Ditto,
I am always looking to simplify things and having additional motors switches what have you did not appeal to me. However our 2017 Classic came with the Power Awning. My first reaction was we will use it until it conks out and than replace it with a manual unit. After using it for 3 months I don't think that will happen. I love the thing. It is so fast and simple that I am hooked. Going on a day trip I don't agonize over what to do, just push the button and in about a minute or less its tucked away.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have solar, the amount of power used by the awning is pretty modest compared to the sunshine variation day to day. Yes, every bit counts. In this case we're talking about < 1% in normal use.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #19

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Ive found the manual Zip-Dee awning pretty easy to extend manually. The most difficult or time consuming item is the circular locks which secure the awning on each end. Trying to line these up and loosen or tighten those with the supplied rod is really a pain.

What I've done is buy a two step aluminum ladder. I stand on this and have enough height to turn the knobs by hand. First it's easy to unscrew and secondly you can make sure those knobs are tight and holding the awning securely. With your height you probably will need a taller ladder since I'm 5'9".

As far as standing on a ladder to pull out the awning, I'd advise against that since that becomes a balance issue and if you lean the wrong way, you will go tumbling off and may lose control of the awning having it snap back hard against the trailer. The rod is plenty long to allow you to pull the awning away from the trailer or hold it security when retracting. In those cases I think having two feet on the ground is a lot safer.

Jack
My recommendation wasn't to stand on a stepstool or ladder for unfurling the awning from the side of the trailer (since the awning strap+rod make that simple) it was for extending the arms, since it seems that works much better when pushing on the awning roll than trying to push the arm directly.

Someone on this thread suggested the extra handles that attach to the sliding part of the arm and give better leverage for extending from there (which I haven't used, and didn't think of.) That might be the be-all end-all solution if that makes it easy to extend and retract the arms.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
It is! They should be standard with the awning. It is never a problem now.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote