Old 05-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
First, a big thanks to all of you for the feedback. I will leave the awning on for a season and then reconsider the pluses and minuses. I really want to stay cool and dry, and I'm hoping that my tiny awning will help in both regards.

I'm trying to stay within AS's GVWR of 3,500 lbs. Our trailer is listed at 3,117 lbs. dry with no dealer-installed options. We have several options installed on the trailer. I'm just not exactly sure which of these options were "dealer-installed" so I don't know what additional weight I need to factor in. Unfortunately I haven't yet weighed the trailer to see what our real dry weight is. I plan to do that in the next week or two. Then I'll have some solid data.

Nevertheless, I have a maximum cargo carrying capacity of 383 lbs. with NO liquids. Add propane and enough water to flush the toilet a few times plus the weight of the dealer-installed options, and I won't have the capacity to carry much - certainly not a generator, a big cooler filled with ice, food and beer, etc.. Our TV (a 2005 Toyota Sienna) has almost no cargo capacity left either, so I can't afford to shift any weight to it. I know that a beefier TV needs to be in our future, but I'm just not sure that will happen quickly. Also, I really like the idea of keeping the Bambi ready to roll - all packed up with our normal gear so that I can just hook up on a whim, and hit the road.

As suggested I think the key for me is to run with minimal fluids. I'll investigate the air mattress suggestions too. I've already gotten about as minimal as I think I can get for cooking/eating supplies. I'll also have to make sure not to carry any frivolous junk. So far I've been considering weight on all of my trailer's equipment purchase decisions. I'm trying to take a lightweight backpacker's approach to Airstreaming.

I wish my trailer had a GVWR of 4,300 Lbs.! That would solve this problem. I wonder what AS did to increase the GVWR by 800 Lbs. What would I need to do to beef up my trailer to safely mimic AS's 4,300 lb. build?

Old 05-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, you might consider changing your axle; Canadian Bambis have a higher GVWR.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I know that the axel, wheels and tires are different on the 2012 Sport and International 16's. Not sure what else might have been changed to support the additional weight.
Bruce
Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Have you actually measured the weight of the thing on a scale as opposed to picking a number out of a hat?

Perry
Old 05-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Have you actually measured the weight of the thing on a scale as opposed to picking a number out of a hat?

Perry
No I haven't weighed the thing - I already explained that. I didn't pick a number "out of a hat" either. I pulled it "out of the closet." That's where AS put it.

When I feel grumpy I find that adding some fiber to my diet often helps.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Your numbers seem to correlate with the factory specs for the 16' Sport... Dealer options are generally in area of rock guards or extra window awnings.. Factory usually (though not always..) installs heavier ones like Awning, A/C, Spare Tire, Television/Stereo, etc...

I agree with others that heavier rated axle ( I suspect your axle is rated/tagged as a 3200# axle..) is where the GVWR limit came from, since remainder of load is on the hitch/tongue... There are 3 ratings to consider before upgrading: Axles, wheels and tires.. Each tire needs to be able to carry half of higher rated axle load, and wheels need to be rated strong enough as well.. I don't believe there was any difference in frame/sub floor or structure, so those are the path to more "stuff" inside...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote