Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2006, 07:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
reinstalling carefree awning

Can anyone tell me the steps to reinstall my Carefree awning? Are the tension cams wound in opposite directions? Do you wind them with the awning in the up or down position?
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
Can anyone tell me the steps to reinstall my Carefree awning? Are the tension cams wound in opposite directions? Do you wind them with the awning in the up or down position?
The procedure is a little lengthy. PM me or better, e-mail me at lew@gorge.net for the full monte .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I installed a small Carefree awning on the back window of my TT. I used the same proceedure that Zipdee recomends for their awnings. http://www.zipdeeinc.com/RV%20Produc...g-tension.html
I did experment with the tension untill I felt it was correct. This was on a window awning, not a patio awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	done.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	20094  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

While we are at it!
I have a A&E awning on my '72 27' that will not roll up straight.
The awning has not moved in the shell channel or on the roll up tube but it refuses to roll up straight....it is off by "12.
What gives?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
So VERY thankful!

Sorry to hear of your awning troubles.

Whenever I read a post like yours, I realize again that these little ( or big!) conveyances are really quite complicated, in SO MANY ways. I am blessed ( so far!) with a quite trouble free coach.

I thank my lucky stars every time I walk by SilverToy - she gets a pat now and again too!

Sorry I can't help with your awning troubles, but "Thanks to you!" for giving me a window on being thankful for life, family and SilverToy, again!

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76251
While we are at it!
I have a A&E awning on my '72 27' that will not roll up straight.
The awning has not moved in the shell channel or on the roll up tube but it refuses to roll up straight....it is off by "12.
What gives?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

It sounds like you have 2 awning springs and one of them is either broken or not properly tensioned. To do this, you have to very carefully remove the rafter arm so you can turn the fitting to re-tension the spring. If this is like most other awnings, right side tensions counter clockwise and left side tensions clockwise. To be sure they are equal, you have to release all of the tension in both and apply the same # of turns to each.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Awning tensioning work

Lew -

I want to be sure that I understand this process of awning tension in the bar.

The awning, when it is being repaired, is NOT deployed right? This process sounds very much like getting those roller shades set up correctly, or?

So you disconnect the awning arm and then give the spring a certain number of turns, then reconnect and do same on the other end. Trial and error to getting the tension/ # of turns correct.

Corrections?

Peace

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Axel,

When you wind the springs, you can have it deployed if you want. It should not make a difference. I usually have them out and resting on a ladder for stability when I re-wind the springs. It helps if you have another person who can hand you the rafter bar for re-insertion into the end fitting when you are done. Also, if the rafter arm is secure by a rivet (most are by a screw), then you need a rivet and gun handy.

PM me with your awning length and I'll look up the # of turns that it should have.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Mike,

It sounds like you have 2 awning springs and one of them is either broken or not properly tensioned. To do this, you have to very carefully remove the rafter arm so you can turn the fitting to re-tension the spring. If this is like most other awnings, right side tensions counter clockwise and left side tensions clockwise. To be sure they are equal, you have to release all of the tension in both and apply the same # of turns to each.
Thank you so much.......man I love this forum!!!
Old 02-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
azflycaster, I am looking for very simple, cheap, low profile awning for my rear window just as you've shown in the photo from this post way back in 2006. We have a 1968 Overlander, which stays parked almost exclusively as a guest suite. Could you share information about your awning? Thanks!
AirstreamPDX is offline   Reply With Quote