Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Your awning fabric is on upside down.

(by the time I hit post, someone else had noticed and posted too.)

Did you take it off to clean the roller, adjust the springs, etc?

And really study that video - your side arms definitely must stretch out just to keep the top of the door from rubbing on the awning fabric and give you walking around room under it.

Best of luck, Paula
Thanks to both of you - indeed that's exactly what's wrong. This is exactly how the trailer was when we bought it. One of the rafter arms was broken, and the owner had bolted it back together - but mirror image of how it was supposed to be. Even w/ the fabric flipped, I expect we'll need to resew that seam, but this explains a lot.

Now to gently release the tension on the spring and get the fabric off the trailer....

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bart,

I agree, the fabric is on upside down, but flipping it won't change the length of roll out much at all. Also, I am concerned with the roller springs. Did they put the fabric on the roller flipped and tension the springs in the wrong direction. If not, the fabric must be removed from the roller as well as the wall and flipped.

Is there any evidence with the attaching hardware that this awning is not original to this trailer? I am afraid that either, or both the rafters and the strut are mismatched.

Zip Dee folks are very helpful and can probably give you model #s and measurements of the components which should be on that trailer. Is there still a label visible on the arm assemblies. If so, there is a model number or serial number on that label which allows them to pull up the part numbers and dimensions.

Something on yours just don't look right....including maybe the fabric. It definitely looks newer than the vintage of your trailer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
It's quite possible. The previous owners didn't exactly grok much about the Airstream. Whether or not the fabric is upside down or not, the arms still appear short to me; reversing the fabric won't make a lot of difference I think. However, it certainly indicates that the folks who replaced the awning had no idea how it was supposed to work. Perhaps they had someone make a new awning that is too short. How long are they supposed to be, anyway?

- Bart
Maybe someone that is near a trailer can measure for us. Ours is 2 miles down the road and is working on being snowed in.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Something on yours just don't look right....including maybe the fabric. It definitely looks newer than the vintage of your trailer.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. Ours has a travel lock that keeps the roller tube from moving. It is on the roller tube at the front end of the trailer. I have to use the long rod to release it, and the wheel locks before it will unroll. I dont see one in the pictures.

But the new travel locks are different. (More like a hook and eye type latch.)

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
From your 2nd photo, it looks like the aluminum wrap is missing. On mine the fabric attaches to it and then the wrap attaches to the awning rail. If someone attached the fabric to the rail without the wrap, the fabric would be nearly a foot too short for the roller to extend far enough. When rolled up, the fabric is not exposed. Your photo looks like the 1st foot of fabric from the awning rail has been exposed.

The fabric is definitely upside down, the pull strap should hang from the inside of the roller tube. Do a utube search for ZipDee operating instructions. You will see how the wrap works and there is a few good views of how the fabric hangs at the roller tube.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Now to gently release the tension on the spring and get the fabric off the trailer....

- Bart
If the awning is on backwards, maybe the awning tube is as well. In that case, the spring will be at the front instead of the rear.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If the awning is on backwards, maybe the awning tube is as well. In that case, the spring will be at the front instead of the rear.

Or, too much pretension and the spring is "bottoming out"??????

I think the pic looks like the "wrap" is there....but if not....or a section is missing....that would definitely cause the fabric to be "short".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
This link to ZipDee shows the parts (obviously not to scale). It also indicates it applies to awnings 1985 to present... Can't tell what was different prior to then.

http://www.zipdeeinc.com/diagram_caseandfabric.htm
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #23
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Well, the awning is off the trailer... but whoever made the awning didn't use Dacron thread to match the Sunbrella, so all the stitching is coming apart... and they crimped the tube that holds the fabric with Vice Grips, sigh, so getting the fabric off the aluminum wrap is an interesting proposition. Most of it is movable now, but it's going to make things interesting.

The fabric just looks too short... could save it by re-doing all the stitching, but it would still need several patches. Barbie's game for making a new one, but I'll need to get the right dimensions. Pacific Blue Fancy is a nice pattern at Sunbrella.com...

Hmm. Looks like a problem to mull over for a bit. I'll drop the folks at Zip Dee an email.

Thanks for all the help!

- Bart
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #24
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Well, it looks like this fabric works for both webspinner (Barbie) and I:

http://www.fabricmaven.com/stripes-b...-pr-17079.html

so that's going to be our new awning .

Now to see how to fix up that aluminum wrap.... and exactly how to determine the right length of awing.

- Bart
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Well, it looks like this fabric works for both webspinner (Barbie) and I:

http://www.fabricmaven.com/stripes-baycrest-pacific-fabric-c-258-p-1-pr-17079.html

so that's going to be our new awning .

Now to see how to fix up that aluminum wrap.... and exactly how to determine the right length of awing.

- Bart
Surely Zip Dee can tell you. I'm not sure I'd rely on forum member measurements unless you are sure of original hardware and someone here has a same model and year of AS which they can measure for you. I know your rafters look different than mine.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #26
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Surely Zip Dee can tell you. I'm not sure I'd rely on forum member measurements unless you are sure of original hardware and someone here has a same model and year of AS which they can measure for you. I know your rafters look different than mine.
Yup... putting email together for the folks at Zip Dee.

- Bart
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
It will be nice to have the awning fully functional at last. We have often avoided using it because it was so temperamental and the arms never locked onto the roller bar.

Looking more closely at the awning, it's obvious that the fabric has been redone. The fabric doesn't feel like sunbrella to me; it is far more fragile than sunbrella that has been rolled up away from the sun ought to be. Also, there is no Zip-Dee info tag anywhere on it, as there should be with an original. I'm looking forward to tackling the job, getting to know the awning better and having a fully functional shade/rain attachment at last.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
when i clicked on the fabric link i got this message from NORTON:
"Malicious Web Site Blocked"

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote