Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Doug, thanks for the info re the 2012 awning gasket and sealant. That wasn't mentioned when I called AS about 2012 improvements.

Barry
AirEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The Zipdee awning lower brackets leak because they work loose and the rivets pull out. Sometimes they leak because they are not sealed properly. This is problem that others on here have had as well. A longer bracket that distributed the load over a larger area would help. I will design some custom brackets when the time comes. I wish I had done something when I had the wall skins off to reinforce the skin behind the brackets.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I had one of the first zidee awnings they were made a little beefier then, but my 76 had carefree installed harder to open than ZD also they lag screwed into edge of floor always pulling out [no floor rot] put wood dowels in with epoxy same old story so pur. ZD last year, I can extend by myself much happier, I also drop back corner water runs off When I rolled my 67 30ft complete 360 ZD had no damage but AS junk yard
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The awning brackets on our trailer are attached by 3 screws—they probably go into a rib. The brackets do not fit entirely flush with the body and do not have a gasket. And the design means water runs off the end of the awning assembly and directly down over the brackets. In addition, there is a seam between aluminum panels under the brackets. This is designed to leak.

I used Form-a-Gasket under the brackets and Acryl-R sealant around them and in the screw holes. I think I'll have to renew that every couple of years and maybe add a rubber gasket. When I took up the vinyl floor I found water stains on the plywood subfloor where water had leaked in via one or both brackets. After resealing them, the leak stopped. If that had gone on for another 5 or 10 years, rot would have set in. And if we lived in a wet climate, it probably would have set in sooner.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
Seems like this 12 volt powered awning is like a 12 volt powered hand cart for golfing.

Kinda like something about a female boar hog…

;-)
Where would I find that 12 powered hand cart ??? I want one.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #46
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have been looking at a new 2016 Classic and was toying with the idea of the power awning as I am still struggling with the manual version. After thinking, talking to others and reading this thread I think I will pass on the power version and get up off my fanny and learn to use the manual version. Just another gadget to go wrong with the power version.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
See post 32 for the price I got from ZipDee a couple of years ago. For that money, I could hire someone to open and close the awning.

Gene

Old 07-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I'd always consigned the "Electric Awning" to the same "not really needed" pigeon hole as an electric drill to lower and raise the stabilisers; until I saw a guy using one of these delightful things on his motorhome. Realising that they cost way too much for what they are, I won't weaken, but it was certainly impressive watching him deploy it from his passenger seat!
But really a cordless drill to put the stabilizers u and down is sort of handy - and if for some reason the drill doesn't work, you still have the manual handle to use. The drill can always be handy for other maintenance chores when on a longer trip too.

I take a 20v Dewalt with us all the time - it is also handy for running the Hensley spring bar jacks up and down. The lithium batteries also fit a handy big flashlight that goes with us.

With most electric "gadgets" on trailers though I am not a big fan and am a big believer in "simplest is best."

Electric gadgets are great when they work, but just an added frustration the day they don't work when you press the button - especially if there is no way to operate the device manually in case of electrical failure!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
A dewalt combo kit is my right arm on the road. Its like a workshop in a bag.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot390 View Post
A dewalt combo kit is my right arm on the road. Its like a workshop in a bag.
Agreed!

The only accessory I bought that I am not really thrilled within the vacuum cleaner.
I had planned to take it with us on RV trips - and still might on longer trips, but when it arrived I found it to be larger and heavier than I expected - I should have checked into it more before ordering! Also the suction, while not bad, isn't as strong as some other small vacs we have.

Still handy though is that it will run on the dewalt batteries or on 110v and is also a wet/dry vac.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brian,

Griots used to sell (and may still) a small and very powerful vacuum. It weighs about 6 lbs. (I'm unsure how I remember such trivia and it crowds out the memory space necessary to remember anything else). It only runs on 120 v., but works very well. Google Griots and check out their online catalog—so many toys, so much money, but cool stuff.

Gene