Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 AM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Pole Awnings

I'm very excited because today I finally was able to find and order enough outdoor canvas to make my pole awning. My local fabric store ran out of the canvas I was using on the window awnings, but we located a store near Seattle that had another nine yards of it, and they are shipping it to me.

I'm planning the awning will be roughly 9 x 9 ft. There is a rail on the trailer already and I have gotten a 1/4 metal rod that I will sew into a pocket on one end of the awning and then the awning and rod will slide into the rail.

I haven't quite decided how to the pole ends of it will work yet. I walk the dog through the campground at the park a couple times a week hoping to see another pole awning to check out in person. Does anyone here have one or have any suggestions for how that end of it will work? I'm thinking maybe a metal pipe frame that slips together and the awning can attach to it with Velcro wraps?

I've heard that some don't require ropes and tent stakes to hold them up, and I'm wonder how that design would work. Obviously, I don't know much, and I haven't seen any in person, but I'm rediculously enthusiastic about making one Suggestions are appreciated.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

There were 2 or 3 "pole awnings" at the Rocky Mtn. VAC rally. Each of them used ropes which were staked into the ground.

Each awning had 3 or 4 vertical poles. In at least one case, the top of each pole passed through the top of the awning, through metal grommets in the fabric. There was a 4-5" "nipple" at the top of each pole, which passed thru the grommet. It looked sturdy to me.

Two or three horizontal poles connected the vertical poles, under the valance edge. I didn't see if the horizontal poles were attached to the fabric, but I think your velcro idea would work just fine.

Question for you. What does the other side look like--the side that attaches to the trailer? Does the entire metal rod slide into the channel, or are there "buttons" or something that go into the channel?

Tom
63flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 05:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Stephanie,
I have a 64 Overlander with what propbably is the original awing.
The awing is yellow, green and brown striped canvas and is rectangular in shape. There is a bolt rope around which the canvas has been sewen that slides into the track on the trailer. The leading and trailing edge have been reinforced with leather to cut down on wear. Along the outer edge, are four grommets, one at each corner and two in the middle. These also have been reinforced with leather. The poles have two inch rods at the top which are passed through the grommets and then the guy ropes are placed over the rods. This arrangement captures the poles between the ropes and the canvas so they can't be blown loose in a wind. You use two ropes at ninety degrees to each other on the corners and one rope each on the middle poles. In addition, the poles are adjustable for height and allows you to fine tune the whole arrangement once you have it up. There is not a frame of any kind associated with this awning. By adjusting the tension on the guy ropes, you can make the awing as taught or loose as you think necessary and the entire thing folds into a two foot by two foot bundle for storage. The poles telescope down to four feet and can be stored in a closet.
I hope this will help you in your design.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:38 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Mark,

Thanks much for the information. That gives me some ideas. If you could post any pictures of the awning, I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

Tom: Here's a pic of the rail on the trailer.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
And here's a pic of the rod with some canvas wrapped around it. It slides into the rail, but won't pull out (at least not so far). I know the previous owner said he tried to make a pole awning, but it was a disaster, though he didn't elaborate on which part was the disaster. I think he put the awning rail on himself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awn_test.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2929  

Old 09-02-2003, 06:00 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Pole Awning Progress

Couple of ideas Stephanie - first, I would trim the excess of the awning rail down to where it connects to the trailer. This area will have more tension on it than any other area. Looks to me that you might lose a few inches of awning width, judging by the photo, but could save your awning during a gust of wind.

Second, I think sewing in a leather wrap at the awning rail and pole grommet area to cut down on wear is a great idea. Use your Dremel tool to trim the slot edge corners at both ends of the rail. This will cut down on excessive wear on the leather and/or fabric.

Third - the use of a rope instead of a solid bar will allow you to fold it up as opposed to rolling it up. A tab could be sewn in on each end at the leather to awning material seam that could be pulled on to get the wrapped rope through the rail. Make sure the inside of your awning rail is clean when working out the appropriate diameter of rope and wrap allowing enough room to slide with little resistance.

Keep us posted on your progress. Several folks are considering doing this during this fall season. Share your pictures

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Here is a link to a thread on the VAC site. It has detailed info about how two different awning styles work.

VAC awning style thread

I notice that most every reference to these vintage awnings says that they are on ropes. If you have room to store the long rod, I don't imagine it would make a difference if you use the rod instead of a rope.

And here is a link to another thread on the VAC site. It has info on finding poles.

VAC awning pole thread
Old 09-02-2003, 06:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Check out the Ralph Lauren Caravels for Awnings

The three Ralph Lauren Airstream Caravels all have pole awnings. Check them out at this web site:

http://about.polo.com/vintage/airstream/default.asp
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Steph, here is a close-up of the awning on my former '60 Overlander (now in Colorado). Hope it might be helpful to you.

Rog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	2930  
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 07:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Steph,

Let me give you the "cheap" pole answer. Go to Lowes--HD and purchase adjustable fiberglass paint poles and same number of paint roller handles. Attach handles to poles and hack saw off the metal about 2 inches above plastic handle , this will pass through grommets on awning and provide attachment for ropes. You now have adjustable awning poles.

The cheap version........
Old 09-02-2003, 07:21 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steph,

Brad is right the awning rail on your trailer is too long. It should run from shell edge to shell edge. And it should be flat against the trailer the whole way.

Sounds like a neat project
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Steph,

You might check out Walmart....they have tent poles 2-piece adjustable....I use them to help direct the rain and they are only 5 or 6 bucks ea.

Levon
Attached Images

Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:54 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Wow!

Thanks for all the great ideas (keep 'em coming if you think of anything else)! They're all wonderful. I guess I'll head out to the trailer with the dremel tool and shorten up that awning rail. And using rope for he end that goes into the rail is a great idea, I don't know why that never occured to me. Great idea for the poles too. I like anything that's cheap. Since I waited so late in the year to buy the outdoor canvas I caught it on end of season 1/2 price sale (yipee). Well, I guess tomorrow I'll have to head over to home depot and wander the aisles and THINK this over a bit