Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
kootenays , BC
Options for awnings?

Hi, I have been reading the thread on awnings and it appears that there are mainly two options-!1-from vintage trailer supply, which appears to be more affordable, or 2- zip line model.
The zip line model is out of the budget,
How user friendly is the vintage model (from VTS) ? I will have to take it in every night.
Are there any other options that I have missed?
Thank you for you help.
fancy pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:39 AM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hi there, from one Safari owner to another! Quick question, why would you have to bring it in every night? Our new Safari came with a ZipDee that is awsome and we have on order a vintage awning for the Trade Wind. The vintage takes a bit of doing because you need to slide the bead edge into the rain gutter, put up a few poles and then the tie-downs. But with the '60, we want it to be correct in vintage styling. Gice me 60 seconds and the ZipDee is up and my chair and wine ready!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Another option

There actually IS another option for an awning for an Airstream. All of the 'Big Three' awning manufacturers, Carefree, Zip Dee anad Girard make what thhey call a 'lateral arm awning'.

These use 2 or 3 folded arms that reside under the fabaric to support the awning......NO VERTCAL ARMS! The roller tube is mounted on the trailer with just a front bar that extends the fabric. An electric motor retracts it.The only thing you see is a box at the top of the trailer or MoHo when it's retracted.

The down side........works on 120VAC only and they are $$$$$$$$$$$$$ like on the upside of $3500. It sure would make an interesting project if you have the bucks!

I've replaced a few on big MoHo's and they improve the useability greatly!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello fancy pants -- see this thread. In spite of that misfortune I don't think you'd have to stow your awning every night. I'll leave mine extended in fair weather. I do take it in in bumpy weather, moreso if I won't be present at the campsite. I do rig Hold-Awn straps on the outer corners. They're nice because the spring will softly absorb sudden gusts. Some hilly campsites have required use of the 4' stepladder I bring; the augers don't drill into some rocky or granite-chipped site pads. Be sure to rig your awning with one arm longer than the other so it sheds water sideways and doesn't pool in the middle.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
For now considering 2 awnings, 1 for each trailer, my time and money budget is better spent on other endeavors, like camping. I know it doesn't have the same curb appear of a nice Zipdee but I have a 10' gazebo I bought from Wallyworld for $100. I can move it around where I want it, 1 unit works for both coaches, sets up quickly and I don't have to drill holes
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
We were going to have a pole awning custom made for our Overlander but there are so many other things the trailer needs, we figured this would be the last thing on our list. Instead we purchased an ez-up like thing from Campmor, a Paja Que. It is awesome. We use it at the beach and camping, much more versatile for now and much cheaper. It does the job for us eventhough it is not as esthetically pleasing.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

We have a VTS awning and really like it. It goes up easy. I can do it by myself with the help of a ladder. The bead that goes in the awning track is quite stiff and I can usually push it thru the track. As far as taking it down every night , I don't unless there's adverse weather coming. Its as secure or maybe better than a zip dee as far wind is concerned since you always tie it to the ground with the stakes and ropes. Only downside over a new style awning is that you have to invent a way to secure the ropes (buckets of water, look for the cracks, etc. ) if you are parked on a parking lot. Also the look of a pole awning is more right for a vintage Airstream.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
kootenays , BC
Thanks everyone, I should've mentioned- it isn't a camping trailer but a boutique. We can't afford a zip line and esthetics is really important!
I guess we could leave it out for the night. Can the Vts awning be managed easily with one person? I remember a few months ago seeing an awning site that had a geat selection and they were starting at $350, I can't find it now! yikes, time is running out!
fancy pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancy pants
I remember a few months ago seeing an awning site that had a geat selection and they were starting at $350, I can't find it now! yikes, time is running out!
Is this the website you are thinking of? Vintage Trailer Supply
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancy pants
Thanks everyone, I should've mentioned- it isn't a camping trailer but a boutique. We can't afford a zip line and esthetics is really important!
I guess we could leave it out for the night. Can the Vts awning be managed easily with one person?
I don't think a Vintage Trailer Supply (VTS) stake & pole awning would work on a boutique...unless the boutique is in a trailer, of course. These are primarily intended to be used where mobility is important - on RV's, not as permanent fixtures. For that matter, a Zip Dee wouldn't be your best option either IMO.

You may want to look at TCT&A Industries. I had my trailer awning made through them...they were very reasonable, lots of fabric options & great to work with and they do awnings for everything - buildings, stand-alones, windows, etc. May be a better direction for you to explore...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #10

1967 28' Ambassador
Austin , Texas
Was reading along on the tread and wanted to add something that I did on my AS that was really low cost...found a resale place that recycles expired billboard advertising material.Everything is printed on impregnable vinyl but the only drawback is you might get a giant bluejean model.I was lucky and got the Dharma and Greg promo and my friends were quite happy with their Calvin Kleins and Janssen swimsuit cuties...anyway,the cost was an unbelieveable $40 for a piece 15 feet wide by 50' long.It already has a "pocket"sewn in into which I inserted a length of TV cable added some dishdetergent for lube and easily slid it into my channel.It's always nice to see Dharma and just a slice of Greg.....the printed side must go up to be waterproof. Good luck!
travelbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Is this the website you are thinking of? Vintage Trailer SupplyI don't think a Vintage Trailer Supply (VTS) stake & pole awning would work on a boutique...unless the boutique is in a trailer, of course. These are primarily intended to be used where mobility is important - on RV's, not as permanent fixtures. For that matter, a Zip Dee wouldn't be your best option either IMO.

You may want to look at TCT&A Industries. I had my trailer awning made through them...they were very reasonable, lots of fabric options & great to work with and they do awnings for everything - buildings, stand-alones, windows, etc. May be a better direction for you to explore...

Shari
hi shari,
i looked at this web site TCT&A but am unsure what you ordered. was it all custom or did a retractable building awning work?

am *so* confused about what to do to replace our zipdee with ripped up seams. new awning may end up being a screen tent for cost.

e
Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611
https://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Hi Travelbug,

I think that is a great idea. There are rubberized paints for canvas that may work for covering an image.
If you recall the source for the recycled billboard material, please share. I'm sure that several members would be interested.

Thank - You so much,

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Options for awnings?

Greetings cccamper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccamper
am *so* confused about what to do to replace our zipdee with ripped up seams. new awning may end up being a screen tent for cost.
e
If your ZipDee hardware is still servicable, your most direct line of action would be to do one of tow things:
  1. If only the seams are opening up, the awning fabric can be removed and re-sewn by either a commercial awning shop or an upholsterer with a heavy-duty sewing machine.
  2. New material can be purchased from ZipDee allowing you to replace only the material -- if the roller tube or springs are an issue, those parts could be replaced as part of the same project.
One of the nice things about having a ZipDee is that the company supports its products even if they are decades old.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccamper
hi shari,
i looked at this web site TCT&A but am unsure what you ordered. was it all custom or did a retractable building awning work?

e
It is a little hard to find on their website (I think it's changed)...but here is a thread that I documented what I ordered (see post #122) and my website page that gives more detail. I found TCT&A to be very accomodating and helpful on the phone.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings cccamper!

If your ZipDee hardware is still servicable, your most direct line of action would be to do one of tow things:
  1. If only the seams are opening up, the awning fabric can be removed and re-sewn by either a commercial awning shop or an upholsterer with a heavy-duty sewing machine.
  2. New material can be purchased from ZipDee allowing you to replace only the material -- if the roller tube or springs are an issue, those parts could be replaced as part of the same project.
One of the nice things about having a ZipDee is that the company supports its products even if they are decades old.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
hi,
i've read and responded to a thread almost the same as this. (really the same). between the two there is a fair amount of information, also opinions. in the other thread i asked if there was anyone who would take my supplies and sew an awning for me. ($16.10/yd for Sunbrella stripe at sunbrellacentral.com x 18 yds, much less than having some provide it, i think)

one vendor said that it is nearly impossible to just have zipdee fabric replaced. it won't roll up right and he hasn't tried it in years. ? wastes most fabric. ? others suggest getting the fabric off, replace it, and everything is fine. ?

frankly i don't know what it costs to have the awning and roller replaced. i do know that the nice vintage awning at VTS would only be a little over $700. this is probably the best price. they only have 4 fabrics but their red is what i'd like anyway. (so happy my husband doesn't care

the very most perfect solution would be to have a new zipdee on a roller that fits right onto our "hardware". there would not be two people climbing up on ladders to thread it on and off for starters!

guess we'll ponder over this for a few weeks before we decide.

meantime, think i'll buy a few lottery tickets.

thanks for the good input i've received from a number of you. it is appreciated very, very much.

e
Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611
https://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote