Old 07-10-2007, 05:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings cccamper!

If your ZipDee hardware is still servicable, your most direct line of action would be to do one of tow things:
  1. If only the seams are opening up, the awning fabric can be removed and re-sewn by either a commercial awning shop or an upholsterer with a heavy-duty sewing machine.
  2. New material can be purchased from ZipDee allowing you to replace only the material -- if the roller tube or springs are an issue, those parts could be replaced as part of the same project.
One of the nice things about having a ZipDee is that the company supports its products even if they are decades old.

Good luck with your project!

i've read and responded to a thread almost the same as this. (really the same). between the two there is a fair amount of information, also opinions. in the other thread i asked if there was anyone who would take my supplies and sew an awning for me. ($16.10/yd for Sunbrella stripe at x 18 yds, much less than having some provide it, i think)

one vendor said that it is nearly impossible to just have zipdee fabric replaced. it won't roll up right and he hasn't tried it in years. ? wastes most fabric. ? others suggest getting the fabric off, replace it, and everything is fine. ?

frankly i don't know what it costs to have the awning and roller replaced. i do know that the nice vintage awning at VTS would only be a little over $700. this is probably the best price. they only have 4 fabrics but their red is what i'd like anyway. (so happy my husband doesn't care

the very most perfect solution would be to have a new zipdee on a roller that fits right onto our "hardware". there would not be two people climbing up on ladders to thread it on and off for starters!

guess we'll ponder over this for a few weeks before we decide.

meantime, think i'll buy a few lottery tickets.

thanks for the good input i've received from a number of you. it is appreciated very, very much.

AIR # 8643
Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611 Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote