Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Not Liking my Zip Dee these days

My ZipDee has been a royal pain lately. I never can get the big awning to roll up properly. It seems that it is always off center and the little wheel clamps won't line up. Sometimes they even get in the way because the awning hits them and makes it jump to one side or the other of the little bolt that sticks up. Also my awning cover is sliding back and forth and got jammed under the little locking lever. It should not take 30 mins to close one of these not to mention the cursing that goes on. I think the awning cover needs a screw in it so that takes it out of the equation. We are in the FL humidity right now so 30 mins struggling with anything really gets you sopping wet.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
You might want to try guiding the fabric while it rolls up. It helps to have two people, i.e., one on the other support, while you guide one end.

Slowly let the spring retract and wind up the fabric while watching it roll onto the roller. Move your support side-to-side, as necessary, so that the end/edge of each layer lines up with the preceding one.

With a little practice, you'll be able to have all the layers lined up like you had cut the end of a roll of fabric. This should make the end caps, supports, etc. align properly for an easy stowing of your ZipDee awning.

Additional tip: After we get the locking wheels tightened, and the locking hook is rotated into position, I put zip ties through them so that they cannot loosen while underway. I leave the long tails on the ties, instead of cutting them off, so that I can see that they are still in place. This provides an easy visual check to verify that the hardware is still tight when inspecting your brakes, hitch, etc. and while refueling.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote