Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
No Awning? Ever?

I cant find anything on my trailer that would indicate a previous awning...How am I going to put one on?
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You can add an awning rail. They are just an extruded piece of aluminum which is then attached to your trailer. Most RV shops sell them and they are cut to fit...then go get yourself an awning!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:17 PM   #3

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Redlands , California
Red face Get Awning?

Anyone have an awning I can buy? I have the rail, just need the frame and a place to get the material.
Aluminum Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum Fun
Anyone have an awning I can buy? I have the rail, just need the frame and a place to get the material.
What kind of awning are you looking for? An "old fashioned" vintage type awning doesn't always require a frame...take a look at this old thread It documents my quest for a frameless awnings and somewhere about post #100 it shows all the poles & stuff we use.

A ZipDee or Carefree or ??? don't really have frames either, they roll-up. They would also be tough to sew yourself becasue of the rolling mechanism.

As far as fabric goes, most awnings are made from Sunbrella fabria which comes in all kinds of colors & stripes. It can be purcahesd here: http://www.outdoorfabrics.com/index.asp

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
ZipDee for me! Fantastic fan too!

Hello and welcome to AirStreamin!

If there is even the slightest hint of a need for an awning - ZipDee. Period.

They are familiar with AS, and have been for the longest time. They SUPPORT what they sell!!!! For a LONG time. They still have fabric for awnings built MANY years ago. They stand behind the product - fabric, brackets, tubes, the works. Expensive in intial outlay, yes. Are they worth every penny? You Bet.

I just ordered awning 'pull straps' for a '92 - In stock, out the next day.

BTW - If vents/fans are a need for you, Fantastic Fans is similar to ZD. They have been used on AS's for a long time. They are familiar with the special needs for AS's. They support the fans in the LONG term.

I have a FF on SilverToy and am getting a second (used). Called FF HQ and they sent me an entire 'inventory list' for install items to be sure I got 'all of it' from the seller -1st time install for me. Will call them for a replacement gasket and they will likely offer to send it free of charge.

I'll offer to pay, and they will likely 'win' that arguement.

Anyway, back the awning question. GO with a ZipDee and save yourself short and long term problems - search "A&E" and/or "Carefree awning" problems and see for yourself!

My .02 cents.

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd have to agree. We've been camping for decades before I got into Airstream and found the Zip Dee that came with it. It's a great awning and more importantly, the support behind the Zip Dee is unmatched. Same goes with the folks that make the Fantastic Vent.

You won't be disappointed with these two components of your trailer.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 09:27 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
palm springs , California
found the awning rail YIKES

guess what guys mine does have an awning rail I just couldn't tell what it was with the end of the old awning still stuck in it...Anyone have this issue? How will I get that out without messing up the rail? I'm thinking I want one of those old type rollout awnings from the Vintage Trailer Supply...anybody get one... how is it? I mean really is it a bunch of work?...also do you carry a ladder with you to install?
happydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaze
guess what guys mine does have an awning rail I just couldn't tell what it was with the end of the old awning still stuck in it...Anyone have this issue? How will I get that out without messing up the rail? I'm thinking I want one of those old type rollout awnings from the Vintage Trailer Supply...anybody get one... how is it? I mean really is it a bunch of work?...also do you carry a ladder with you to install?
Go up on your ladder so you can see the top of the rail. You might find a screw going thru it at each end that holds in the spline piece. Remove the screws and the spline should pull right out......ready for your new awning and spline. Just remember to flair one end of the rail open before you slide the spline into it. I always lube the interior of the rail with DuPont Teflon Dry Lube to make the slid-in process go smoothly.....................................:brow s:
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

just replaced my zipdee awning cloth

hi gang. my previous awning ripped down the middle seam in a windstorm - it kind of got dropped on a tree limb - so i finally got around to replacing it. zipdee was a dream to deal with! efficient, knowledgeable and quick. unfortunately i hired a guy with a drug problem and his alcoholic friend to do the replacing and needless-to-say, the job is unfinished. HOWEVER, in a day or two a real awning guy will come out to set the tension and make sure the awning is centered. live and learn.

anyway, i have the old awning which is "fancy blue" striped, close to 15' in length, and attached to the first slat. here are the problems with it: the tear down the middle seam is easily fixable but because the awning was rusted onto the roller, we had to cut it off the roller (along that seam) which means another sewing job and some rust removal. i do have the shipping tube from the new awning and so if anyone wants this awning for the price of shipping, it's yours. just let me know. (i paid about $150 in shipping from zipdee - indiana? ohio? - to middle-of-nowhere arizona.)
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #10

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Redlands , California
Smile

Thank you all for the info on Zip Dee. Checked out their website. Looks like they may be the ones to go with.

J. Robert
Aluminum Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
So.....

I have a 14 year old dometic that was functional untill the fabric riped. How big of a deal is it to replace the fabric? And before all you Zip Dee fans with unlimited funds chip in and tell me to buy one of thiers new, I dont have anything like that kind of money to spend at the moment. Thanks

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I have a 14 year old dometic that was functional untill the fabric riped. How big of a deal is it to replace the fabric? And before all you Zip Dee fans with unlimited funds chip in and tell me to buy one of thiers new, I dont have anything like that kind of money to spend at the moment. Thanks
Fabric replacement is no big deal, as I'm sure that you are handy with a rivet gun by now . You need to measure the old fabric with the awning roller tube fully extended, and the width as well. I have had good, quick results with Carefree of Colorado for fabric replacements on everything but Zip-Dee products, which they provide for their own stuff.

If you can't get a replacement for your awning, PM me and I can get you a quote as I'm a dealer for all of the major awning companies .
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

FYI, I had an A&E dometic 17 ft installed by Camping World for less than $600 2 years ago. Initial installation was awfull but they corrected most problems on a second trip. The awning is performing well although my vista window no longer open since a bolt is in the track. If you have one installed make sure you mention to watch for the window track.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Phoenix , Arizona
New Member here! I just purchased my first airstream, I have always wanted one....it is a 31 ft. Now I need to get busy and fix up the inside. Needless to say the first time I moved the curtains, all the plastic clips broke on the gold rail...curtains are junk, refrigerator door the urethane expanded inside the plastic and blew off the plastic cover or where you put your eggs, etc......it was stored in the Arizona sun....I noticed the rear window is fiberglass..........I assume they were originally glass.....the push out cranks, plastics on handles where they rest in the clips, broke into million pieces first time I opened them....what about rubber seals around windows, the door, open to help or suggestions, etc....

Great to be aboard the airstream family!

Fred
safety6761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Got one and loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaze
I ordered one and got it just in time for my trip to Disney. Worked great and the quality was good, should last a long time. Took only a minute to put up, real simple to store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	21179  
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote