Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
newbie needs help

Has any one ever straightened a tube in a zipdee awaning the website said it was easy every one said no I am going to try any advice will be help full.I have a 1983 exella billy in south Louisiana
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
It all depends on how bad it is bent, is it bowed or is there a kink in it. if you put a stright edge on it,how many inches is it out? Scott
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Unhappy

Haven't actually done it ourselves, but closely observed while it was done. Twice. The first time at a ZipDee recomended RV dealer and repair joint down the street from the ZD factory. And it did look easy. We had gone through a storm, complete with wind, hail, horrendous rain, all while the awning was fully deployed in a normal position, not sloped or slanted, and while we were absent from the trailer! We couldn't even get the awning to roll, simply (well, not so simply really) managed to lash the thing to the side, and headed from Michigan to home, passing near ZipDee. They were booked solid, so sent us as I said, down the street. Three guys got on it, standing on ladders. I swear, they used the tube for a chinning bar! There was one guy hanging from the tube, and one guy jumping up and down on the ladder to add shock weight, one guy, the expert, telling us all what to doand where. No no no! Mario, move two inches to the left. Now hold on and jump down! That type of thing. I couldn't bear to watch. They kept at it for a half hour or so, then declared it done. Showed us to adjust the tension, wound up the spring, rolled the awning, and sent us down dee road. A couple weeks later we were in the factory to have awnings added... super nice people, plugged us in to their electric, hooked up city water, and told us to enjoy their parking lot overnight! Anyhow, they factory tweaked the tube, would not sell us a new one no matter how hard we tried! And they tweaked it the same way the factory trained guys down the street did it! told me the tube was steel for just that reason..... it could be brought back! Keep in mind, this was a very serious bend, more than a bow! No kinks though, just really, really bent! If you have any doubts about trying it, call and talk to their customer service people.... or take it to a ZipDee dealer, and have a heart attack watching THEM do it! ROFLMAO!!!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-04-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Oooooh..... just noticed..... all this was done on a 1983 Excella! Original! So not to worry. Too much.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 02-04-2005, 11:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You might consider taking it to a pipe shop to have it straighten out..
One thing for sure, by the time you finish taking it apart and reassembling it..You'll be an expert on ZD~!!
I repaired mine several years back and, it's slow work but..the results are worth it~
Good Luck to you
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 04:58 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
French Settlement , Louisiana
thanks for the advice may try today will send message if it works or not
housebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

A few years ago I had a 73 Excella 500 and the tube had a slight bow in it (just enough to make the awning a little baggy). To make a long story short a Mobile Al. thunderstorm came up, the little sag became a giant pouch and collasped the awning, crimping the tube. I took the tube out of the awning fabric, took it to a pipe shop where we straightened it as best we could. We then got 2' of schedule 10 (thin wall) SS pipe, split it, clamped it over the damaged section like a bandaid and welded the pipe back together. As the diameter of the tube was a little larger at the repair, it still slid back into the awning fabric. Worked like it was new. total cost was less than a $100.00