Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
New "sun room"

Here are pictures of the shade room I built for our Airstream, inspired by our first trip this season. We had the west on the door side, and it was impossible to sit out in the late afternoon.

The fabric is 90% sun blocking and grey to match the AS. It's attached with marine snaps in the front and hangs from the arms on the sides. The corners have added poles so that there is something to attach to. We can put up any combination of the three sections - just the front, all three sections, just the sides, the front and one side, or just one side. All the pieces attach to the corner poles so they don't flap around in a mild breeze.

I also put a zippered door way (separating zipper) into the front section so we can get in and out when all three sections are in use. The front section weights 10 pounds, and each side piece weighs 5 pounds. That is more weight than I would have liked, but the corner poles help with that. I'm guessing we will only use one or two sections at a time.

The only change I had to make to the zip-dee was to add the snaps to that bit of fabric that hangs down at the leading edge of the awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen room front.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	265039   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen room from side.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	265040  

sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Well done, have fun.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very nice!

Maggie
Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Nice work, I have some questions:
  • What material did you use and where did you get it?
  • Did you have to sew the zippered door yourself?
  • How stable is it in high winds? Do you anchor your Zip Dee?
  • How long does it take for you to set it up after deploying the Zip Dee?
  • Can you post some close-ups of the snaps?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Q and A - Finally!

Oh dear, I just discovered the post you wrote to me asking some questions you asked back in June about the shade room I added to our 20' AS.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...om-152730.html

So sorry about that. I'll answer them now - better late than never !?!?

• What material did you use and where did you get it?
I got sun shade from arizonasunsupply.com. They have a wide selection. I recommend dark colors as they are easier to see through than light colors.

• Did you have to sew the zippered door yourself?
Yes, but I sew a lot so not a problem. I did get DH to help me hold and move the fabric as I did given the size of the piece. Also, I purchased UV resistant thread - which is a must unless you want it to rot. Also, I sewed the zipper on flat - both sides of the zipper, and THEN cut the opening along the open zipper. zipper opens from either side.

• How stable is it in high winds? Do you anchor your Zip Dee?
No idea, as we haven't had it long enough to test that, I did attach corner poles and those can be anchored, which would help. They also help support the weight.

• How long does it take for you to set it up after deploying the Zip Dee?
That depends on how many sections I attach. I can attach any of the 3 sections and any combination of the 3. I'd say, maybe 5 or 10 minutes each.

• Can you post some close-ups of the snaps?
I can't do that right now as the AS is covered in snow. I just used the regular marine snaps that they use on boat covers. Also, I purchased a Hoover Pres-N-Snap - that is a must but pricey. It's also good for a lot of things however!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote