Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Question New awnings are too long - need to shorten!

So, I scored a couple of never-used Zip Dee awnings last summer, and now I'm thinking about doing the installation before it gets to be 120 degrees here.

Both of the awnings are too long (better than too short, I guess!), and someone said there's instructions on how to cut down the roller and fabric to make them the correct size.

I really did try the search function, but I didn't come up with anything.

Does anybody have a link or another clue on how to go about doing this?

Thanks!!

Don
Old 03-25-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I can't see that it would be that hard. I would think you just cut the roller tube on the end without the spring in it. A good upholstery shop could easily shorten the fabric and make it look right by taking off equal amounts on each end.

I took my awning off to have the seams restitched. It was not hard. The stitching job cost me 75 bucks.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Did you ever shorten your awning? I am looking to do the same thing.
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Not a topic that comes up too often and 2 posts today on the subject.

Yes you can.

Call up Zipdee and tell them your year and model and Linda will tell you exactly how long the roller and canopy need to be.

Be careful with the spring loaded arm. It can do considerable damage.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I haven't done mine yet. We sold a house, bought a house, and moved over the winter. I'm still digging through The Home List.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Just throwing in a thought. Since Airstreams can be restored to last forever; be sure to cut the roller to a "standard" size, so next time the fabric gets changed, it doesnt have to be custom made.
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy man View Post
Just throwing in a thought. Since Airstreams can be restored to last forever; be sure to cut the roller to a "standard" size, so next time the fabric gets changed, it doesnt have to be custom made.

Thanks for the feedback. I am planning on replacing the fabric. Using all old hardware saves a good amount of money.

I'll be sure to post the process
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabney0315 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am planning on replacing the fabric. Using all old hardware saves a good amount of money.

I'll be sure to post the process
Agreed. I just replaced my fabric. My old Faulkner hardware wasnt listed as a match for any fabric I wanted to buy; but the hardware seemed to be in nice shape, so didnt see a need to replace.

Other than "springing" the roller in the wrong direction the first time- everything went great. Got away with only spending about $175 on new fabric and some new stainless bolts. It works and looks better than it ever did
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote