Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2004, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Question New Awning Zip Dee or Carefree..???

Our newly acquired Argosy has no awning.. what would be the best to put on???? Thanks Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

No contest.....ZIP DEE.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Re awning

We have a Carefree on our 1976 Airstream and it is all right and we like it.. don't have any experience with Zipdee but have heard that they can be tempermental.. Annie
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Annie1976!

I agree with George Jr. - - none of the other awnings, at least for Vintage Airstream products compares to the Zip Dee. My Overlander came with an A & E Travel Awn 5000 that was plagued with temperatmental operation from its first day - - after spending nearly the cost of a new Zip Dee on repairs for the Travel Awn, I splurged for new Zip Dees. They are so much easier to setup than the A & E and most other brands that I have observed. The other issue is finding the correct curvature for the arms as used on the Vintage Airstream products - - Zip Dee is about the only company that still readily supports the proper curvature. I know that there isn't any question in my mind that my Minuet will receive a Zip Dee awning when the time is right.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:46 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Question

Did Zip Dee install it? Were you happy with the work? I get worried about someone drilling into my 30+ year old airstream skin.
Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
ZIP DEE!!

Because we were new and ignorant and the weather caught us unawares, we had a problem.
However.
We called Zip Dee and made an appointment at the factory in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. Man! I wish everone did business the way this company does! Not only would they not sell us a total, new, replacement awning, they fixed ours. Said since it was fixible no need to buy another! Fixed the problem, straightened the main tube, straightened the arm supposrts, added a third arm, upgraded all parts to current parts! Because of all the money we saved on not buying a whole new set up, we were able to have them install the 10 foot window awning on the traffic side, the small awning for the bedroom window, and the rear window awning. For less than the patio awning would have been.
We then, while still at the factory, splurged on the shade cloth curtain for the patio awning, and they custom fabricated an end piece of the same shade cloth.
Six weeks later we discovered we had lost one of the little locking wheels. I gave them a call, and they sent us a replacement at - Get This - NO CHARGE!!!
It is a great product with great support from the factory. Check out their webpage for comprhensive maintainence guides.

Elizabeh in Iowa
Old 03-08-2004, 06:36 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Zip Dee.....

Nuff said.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 06:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Awning Zip Dee or Carefree..???

Greetings Chitown AirStreamers!

Quote:
Did Zip Dee install it? Were you happy with the work? I get worried about someone drilling into my 30+ year old airstream skin.
If I am not mistaken, Zip Dee will refer you to one of their authorized dealers for a regular install. While they often perform repairs and warranty work to existing awnings at their factory near Chicago, it is my impression from something that I have read that they refer initial installs to their authorized dealers.

Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa handled the install (on my Overlander - - awning(s) are in the planning stage for the Minuet) of my curbside patio awning as well as the awnings over the bedroom and bathroom windows (all matching Zip Dee Products). As a very Vintage Friendly Airstream Dealer, I have been thoroughly satisfied with all work they have done on both of my coaches. They very carefully measured for all three awnings before the order was placed, and were equally careful to insure that the awnings were properly installed. (Cedar Falls is about 300 miles from downtown Chicago.)

Good luck with your awning decision!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Zip Dee, hands down

After having 3 competing products on former SOB trailers, I have had 2 Zip Dees on my 2 Airstreams. I would never put another type of awning on an Airstream. The ZipDees set up and stow easily and fit the curvature of the Airstream correctly.

You can set up the Zip Dee from the ground with just the awning rod, but I carry a 2' stepladder to open and close the locking wheels by hand. Much easier that way and I'm sure that they are secure.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 08:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

If your unit has awning rail from factory, self installation is a piece of cake.

I ordered Zip Dee direct for my 25' Land Yacht (now in new home in Florida) and me, a friend and six of our favorite beverages installed in under 3 hours.

Zip Dee instructions are clear and complete.

Good Luck,
Old 03-08-2004, 10:27 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
per Kevin:
(Cedar Falls is about 300 miles from downtown Chicago.)

Shipping to Ace Fogdale would have been over $150. (We live next door, in Waterloo) The main tube alone would have been $115!
Since we were heading that way, east, it made sense to do a factory stop for us, and save the shipping costs and time.

When we had to have repairs done to even get home when we trashed the awning, the factory referred us to a dealership just down the street from them.
When we thought we needed to replace the awning, the factory was happy to give us an appointment and do it there.
Actual costs were less by not only the 'no shipping' but in labor.

Maybe I need to get over being so cheap!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 03-08-2004, 02:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
FWIW

The ratchet stop on the middle Zip Dee ridge support went south at the Canton Rally.....couldn't find the "internals".

Called Zip Dee today to order a new part, gave "Linda" the shipping info, started to give her a Credit Card number...got cut off. She said part would be in the mail tomorrow, no charge. Also was advised that if, by some chance the part would not fit, just to call her, and she would send another -- and this is on a 20 year old awning!!.

It's hard NOT to do business with these people.

Zip Dee all the way.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Zip Dee Rocks!!!

Zip Dee has a simple formula for success.

Quality Company + Quality Product = Satisfied Customer

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Zip Dee proudly strives to satisfy their customers.

On the other hand, if you buy a Carefree and try to put it on yourself, you will most likely find that is does not fit correctly!!!!!!!!

When you call Carefree, they will tell you, time after time, "AIRSTREAM PUT THE AWNING RAIL IN THE WRONG PLACE!!!!!"

Therefore, your stuck with the awning.

We speaking from first hand experience, with both brands.

We will not, "EVER" sell another Carefree product, because of their corporate "we don't care attitude.

Someone in the past forwarded our negative post to Carefree.

You are certainly free to do it again, as they are well aware of what they tried to pull on us, but missed the boat.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

You heard it here folks, from someone who shows they care - Andy!

67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 11:32 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Wink awning

We pulled an older carefree off of our 73 31' and replaced with a set of zip-dees we found at colaw rv salvage in missourri. We have since sold that one and now have a 86 31'. It came with a curb side awning only. We found the rest of the set at co-law again. We bought a 89" and a 36" Off of a new unit with a slide out. They were cheap enough so we bouht them knowing we would have to replace the fabric on the longer one because the slide out awning has about 6' of fabric insted of the standard window size. We went back last week and got a rear window awning off of a 93 34' that theyjust got in. It still had a 36" and a longer one on the road side left.I have helped my neighbor work on a bunch of a/s as he buys and sells a lot. The older ones with zip-dees are ussually complete but he gets a lot in with other types of brackets but no awnings,so I guess that tells which ones last longer. Good luck
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:33 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
placement is really important

We have a zip dee on our minuet that lays on the stove vent flap when it is rolled up, preventing the vent from opening properly. If the installer had moved it 1/2 inch lower it would have been fine..... it's on the "to do" list.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Some installers of most anything, seem to have that dreaded "tunnel vison" problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

I did have a problem with Zip Dee

My fabric had a gap at the exact same place in the pattern
running parallel with the stripes. all the way across. It looked like it was a bad run.
I called the company to find out what was up. ( hoping
they would tell me that they knew about the bad run of material
and maybe cut me a break)
They asked me how old it was.....I told them 30 years.
They politely informed me that it was out of warranty.
And I kinda had to agree with them but,... I thought that
they might have been more interested. Maybe from a quality control type mind set. ( they sent me a free patch )
For the record.....my 30 year old Zip dee cleaned up real nice
Mandolin Dave
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote