Old 05-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
New awning fabric is on!

On Wednesday evening, I ordered new fabric for the A&E 8500 series awning on our 20' Argosy from Interwest Sports. The fabric arrived via UPS at 1PM Friday! Not being the patient type, I went ahead and put it on the trailer (solo, I might add), wanting to surprise my wife when she got home from work.

All went well with the install, until I had to reattach the front rafter. It seems that whomever installed the awning originally used oversized lag bolts and didn't actually hit any structural member, instead opting to fill the hole with tons of Vulkem, essentially gluing the lag bolts in place. This isn't my idea of a smart thing to do, so I investigated other options. What I wound up doing was using my Roto-Zip to cut an access hole in the interior, securing the rafter with stainless steel hardware (I used fender washers to spread out the load). All that's left now is to make an appropriate cover and paint it after it's secured in place. While not an ideal solution, I didn't want to have to pull down the ceiling and interior endcap to gain access to the backside of the galvanized endcap.

Anyway, the "fun" part was tensioning the roller! I waited for Liz to get home for that part of the project. We tensioned the springs with the awning fully extended, lest we slip with the vice grips and scratch the new paint job on the trailer. 16 turns on each side and it works perfectly!!!

Total time for the awning install (until the issue with the front rafter) was about 45 minutes. Fixing the rafter problem took a while (about an hour, counting the trip to the hardware store), and tensioning the springs took about 10 minutes.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sooooo...got any pictures of the new awning???? I'm sure it looks nice ~

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Sooooo...got any pictures of the new awning???? I'm sure it looks nice ~

Shari
Here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6163.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	61530   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6166.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	61531  

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
awwwwwwwwwwwwwning!

nice!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
While I was at it...

I wired up dedicated 30 Amp service outside the garage door for the trailer(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6165.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	61533  

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Looking good!!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
about to do the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
On Wednesday evening, I ordered new fabric for the A&E 8500 series awning on our 20' Argosy from Interwest Sports. The fabric arrived via UPS at 1PM Friday! Not being the patient type, I went ahead and put it on the trailer (solo, I might add), wanting to surprise my wife when she got home from work.

All went well with the install, until I had to reattach the front rafter. It seems that whomever installed the awning originally used oversized lag bolts and didn't actually hit any structural member, instead opting to fill the hole with tons of Vulkem, essentially gluing the lag bolts in place. This isn't my idea of a smart thing to do, so I investigated other options. What I wound up doing was using my Roto-Zip to cut an access hole in the interior, securing the rafter with stainless steel hardware (I used fender washers to spread out the load). All that's left now is to make an appropriate cover and paint it after it's secured in place. While not an ideal solution, I didn't want to have to pull down the ceiling and interior endcap to gain access to the backside of the galvanized endcap.

Anyway, the "fun" part was tensioning the roller! I waited for Liz to get home for that part of the project. We tensioned the springs with the awning fully extended, lest we slip with the vice grips and scratch the new paint job on the trailer. 16 turns on each side and it works perfectly!!!

Total time for the awning install (until the issue with the front rafter) was about 45 minutes. Fixing the rafter problem took a while (about an hour, counting the trip to the hardware store), and tensioning the springs took about 10 minutes.
How did you handle the torsion spring, any tips, about to go blindly into this.

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Looks very shipshape!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperski View Post
How did you handle the torsion spring, any tips, about to go blindly into this.
Well, I went blindly into it myself but got lucky and lived to tell the tale. Fortunately, I didn't get hurt taking the dang torsion springs off the trailer, but that was a REAL possibility. There is a good article here that covers the procedures for working on an A&E awnings.

I wound up having to replace the right hand (front of trailer) torsion spring assembly because the clutch on mine was shot and the parts for that older model were not available. Just as well as the new version uses a pallet and gear type clutch vs the older style friction clutch. The cost wasn't bad (about $70) and camping world had it in stock in our local store (Lakewood, NJ).

TAC - NJ-007

Old 06-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
Thanks for all the info...this is on a friends unit...we're going camping Friday....and the awning adventure may well wait till after!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:00 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Now that you have 30 amp service, and a shiny new awning, when are you going to relax under the awning, listening to the hum of the 15K a/c unit with a cold beverage in your hand?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Now that you have 30 amp service, and a shiny new awning, when are you going to relax under the awning, listening to the hum of the 15K a/c unit with a cold beverage in your hand?
Funny you should mention that... I've been a geographical bachelor for the past few days (Liz went to Vermont with a friend). It was wicked hot here Saturday, and since we don't have A/C in the house, I spent the night driveway camping.

Actually I've spent the ENTIRE weekend on the water in the kayak - Friday evening after work on the Navesink River, Saturday surfing some waves on the Delaware (hint, my Perception Prodigy is NOT a good whitewater surfing boat), and back on the Navesink Sunday morning for a Father's Day paddle sponsored by our local Eastern Mountain Sports store.

TAC - NJ-007