Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
New Awning!!!!!

I just today recieved my new rope and pole awning today. I have seen others use a pully and spring on the rope tiedowns, but never thought to take a picture at the time. Can someone post a picture for me if you use this type of system or have any other good ideas.

Thanks
Jill
jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
There was a post not long ago that showed a pic. I will attempt to find and attach.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
Does this work?

AWNING

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillwill View Post
I just today recieved my new rope and pole awning today. I have seen others use a pully and spring on the rope tiedowns, but never thought to take a picture at the time. Can someone post a picture for me if you use this type of system or have any other good ideas.

Thanks
Jill
Here you go, going with springs and pulley system will save your awing in high winds............... AWNING
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
A related question...

Are these new "vintage" awnings stored elsewhere (if so, where) and put up and taken down as needed? If so, how difficult is this? Do you need a ladder and two people to accomplish? With the new axle, our Minuet awning rail is really up there...

Or, is the awning left attached to the awning rail and tied up or covered when traveling - making it easier to put up so as not to have to reinsert the welt into the rail each time...

Thanks,
George
Old 09-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Smile

Thanks for the pics, so let me make sure I have this right one end on the rope is knotted at the top of the pole, then it is ran down through the pulley that is attached to the spring that is attached to the stake then where does the other end of the rope go? I am going to try to have a trial run tomorrow night on setting this thing up. Also, for the ones that use this type of system do you use one rope or two per pole.
Jill
jillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Thompsons Station , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgezink View Post
A related question...

Are these new "vintage" awnings stored elsewhere (if so, where) and put up and taken down as needed? If so, how difficult is this? Do you need a ladder and two people to accomplish? With the new axle, our Minuet awning rail is really up there...

Or, is the awning left attached to the awning rail and tied up or covered when traveling - making it easier to put up so as not to have to reinsert the welt into the rail each time...

Thanks,
George
George- I have a vintage awning for my Caravel that I got from VTS. There is some work involved with them, but you can beat the look for a classic trailer. They are stored folded up in a vinyl pouch (supplied) that you put in a cabinet. The poles collapse, and also have their own bag.

Errecting the awning takes 2 people. Unless you are Yao Ming, you will need a small step stool to feed the awning into the rail. I tie a rope to a supplied grommet that is right next to the plastic bead that is sewn into the awning. My wife pulls the rope while I feed the awning plastic bead into the awning channel. She stands on the rear bumper and pulls in a direction that is in line with the awning channel.

Taking it down is easier- only takes one person.
modarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I agree w/Modarch. We have our original vintage awning for our Argosy and it is definitely a 2 person deal, w/step stool. We do not have the pulley system that Jill was asking about so we usually tie down w/some extra rope to keep it from ripping off w/high wind. If really windy, we either don't put it up, or if up, we take down, altho rolling and maybe using a bungy around it might work. There is more work involved but we like the look.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by COArgosy78 View Post
I agree w/Modarch. We have our original vintage awning for our Argosy and it is definitely a 2 person deal, w/step stool.
That's interesting - I didn't realize the Minuets came with the vintage pole and scalloped edge awnings - I just assumed they were part of the Zip-Dee era. Makes me want a new "vintage" awning all the more!!!

George
Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by modarch View Post
Erecting the awning takes 2 people.
Hmmm...I disagree, it can be done with one person...I do it by myself all the time with our GT. Of course if you have a long trailer it will be tougher...but not impossible by any means. Of course two makes it easier...

Quote:
Unless you are Yao Ming, you will need a small step stool to feed the awning into the rail.
Agree. You do need a step stool of some sort. We have one we got at one of the big box stores (blue? orange? I don't recall) that doubles as a bench or table when not being used as a stool. Gotta love those multi-purpose items when traveling in a small trailer!

Quote:
Taking it down is easier- only takes one person.
It is real easy to take down, especially with the wind blowing!

Shari

P.S. our step ladder/bench/table is kinda like this - but it's all aluminum.
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
George - I'll try to post a pic sometime, if I can find one!