Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Need help repairing A&E 9000 Awning

On a recent trip, the lock mechanism broke on my awning. I thought I had it in the locked position for traveling but it came undone going down the road. The arms stayed in place but the vinyl ballooned out and came unrolled and was flopping wildly. Don't know for how long but someone finally brought it to our attention. When we finally found a place to pull over, it was obvious that it had been doing it for some time. it had even broke out the rear skylight. The vinyl will have to be replaced and I hope I can bend the arms back into shape and hot have to replace them. My concern is, can I buy the lock and spring and etc.? And is it something that I can repair myself? Any help would be appreciated.
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need help repairing A&E 9000 Awning

Greetings Raptorrider2001!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001
On a recent trip, the lock mechanism broke on my awning. I thought I had it in the locked position for traveling but it came undone going down the road. The arms stayed in place but the vinyl ballooned out and came unrolled and was flopping wildly. Don't know for how long but someone finally brought it to our attention. When we finally found a place to pull over, it was obvious that it had been doing it for some time. it had even broke out the rear skylight. The vinyl will have to be replaced and I hope I can bend the arms back into shape and hot have to replace them. My concern is, can I buy the lock and spring and etc.? And is it something that I can repair myself? Any help would be appreciated.
You are describing one of the situations that resulted in my A & E Travel Awn 5000 finding a new home in a landfill in Sioux Falls, SD. After four years of $150 there and $200 there in "minor" repairs to the awning, it decided to unfurl while underway (for the third and last time) on Interstate 80 heading to the Sioux Falls WBCCI International Rally. The damage was similar to what you describe, but I was fortunate in that there was no damage to roof vents, etc. What I knew going into this was that Dometic (now owns A & E) no longer supports any Airstream applications for A & E awnings and hasn't for several years if not the better part of two decades - - the arms as well as any other part peculiar to an Airstream installation is no longer available (the roller tube and awning material are the only two parts that were readily available for my Travel Awn 5000 back in 2000). By the time that I had encountered this same problem for the third time, I learned my lesson - - the used parts that my dealer had been using to repair my existing awning were stop-gap at best they were only slightly better than the failed part and soon failed themselves. After spending very nearly the cost of a new ZipDee in repairs on my A & E Travel Awn 5000, I finally resorted to having a new ZipDee patio awning as well as two window awnings installed on my Overlander - - I never realized that awning ownership could be so much fun; no repairs and much easier operation and the Sunbrella fabric maintains a much cooler area next to the coach since it "breathes" rather than trapping air like the vinyl of the A & E Travel Awn 5000 - - also peace of mind in knowing that ZipDee has the reputation for supporting its product, even for its earliest production awnings dating back to the 1960s.

Good luck with your awning quandry!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorrider2001
I second Kevin's opinion, Go with a new Zip-Dee now, before sinking a ton of time and money into your A&E, only to find out it will never be right.
The first loss is the best loss.
Terry