Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #1

San Fernando Valley , California
need creative ways to build supports for awning

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a now, vintage, Starcraft tent trailer. I have been fixing it up and last year added an awning. I know it's not an Airstream, but please read further. I found information in this forum that helped me to contact someone to sew an awning for my tent trailer. She has sewn a lot of awnings for hard sided trailers.

I am coming back here because my awning was inspired by those I saw on images of Airstream trailers in which the owners wanted to give their Airstreams a vintage look. Here is an image of my awning. http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/IMG_5649.jpg

I was hoping someone had some suggestions how I can make supports for the awning to get rid of the sagging. Since my roof is only supported by 4 posts, the awning pulls the roof over when it's out, and then the door sticks and grinds when opened and closed. I need to take the stress off the side of the roof and eliminate the pulling of the awning on the roof.

I did try to minimize the pull with the tiedown ropes, but that still left a lot of sag in the awning. I am worried about rain as well, as we are going camping in August to an area that is known for rain in summer. Rain could easily pool on top and I don't want to constantly put away the awning when rain is looming.

I am trying to do this on a low budget. Pix would be helpful as well if anyone has done anything like this.

Thanks for reading this far.

Rod
teachndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
You'll need to pull in the opposite direction - e.g. on the other side of the trailer. You'll need two poles, since the angle of pull needs to match the angle of the awning...

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
More thoughts

Rod-

Bart is spot on.

Also, lower one pole to allow water to flow to the downhill side. You'll see a lot of the vintage awnings looking crooked when rain is threatening -- it's intentional.

If those ideas don't do enough, consider sewing a pocket along the sides of the awning so that you can slide in some aluminum channel. Obviously, protect from and/or remove all sharp edges. You might even be able to drill a hole in the channel and run your pole into it. I wouldn't try to connect the aluminum to your roof.

See Outwater Plastics Industries, Inc. & Architectural Products and search for "aluminum channel" to see what I mean.

Good luck.

John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Look at the set up on the new pop us trailers. Just as a reference. They have some expandable poles that "stretch" the canvas. These poles are placed around the three free sides that are not attached to the trailer. The cross bar has a hole in each end that the stick of the "upright" poles and the poles that rest against the top of the trailer nest in as well as the fabric. Then the rope is used to just keep it from flying away. (more of a straight down pull) I have seen this setup done with steel conduit. But I was thinking of the expandable painter poles for your situation.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Trailer Awning Door Roller

Even though I do advertise my vintage look awnings in the classifieds on this Forum, I did not make your vintage trailer awning. However, I will offer some useful advice. You could add a trailer awning door rollerClick image for larger version

Name:	awning roller-1.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	106988 ,as pictured, to keep your trailer door from tearing up your vintage trailer awning. You could also have a third grommet added along the front edge of the awning. A higher pole inserted in the center grommet could give a slight lift plus allow you to tee-pee it slightly for rain runoff. When you have three grommets along the front edge of your trailer awning and three adjustable height tent poles, you can graduate the height of the poles for a slight incline allowing rain runoff. If you add two tie down lines to each tent pole, each pulling in different directions, it should prevent the awning welt from sliding inward along the awning rail, which is probably causing your awning sag and door scraping. Hope this helps. Kristi
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote