Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Unhappy My Z lock lever "snapped off".. oh my!

Woe is me....
Just brought home my "new to me" 65 Overlander and in an attempt to unlock the awning.. the Z lock lever snapped off! As the part is rather thin (and cast) and my pulling was obviously too strong, well.. I have a clean break and a piece of the lever in my hand! I have been able to operate the rolling up and down of the awning quite successfully (I imagine it is in the open position).
I've gone to the Zip Dee website and see I could order a new lever, but have a feeling I could repair, by making a small metal bracket on each side of the lever, drill some small holes and use a couple of very small stainless nuts and bolts.
Have any of you out there tried to repair this lever, is it not worth the effort? Maybe locking it is not a must and as long it is very secure to the trailer and "locked down" in place.
The instructions on the replacement seem straightforward, but I'd rather not get into it unless necessary.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Director
Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Director,

You might try that, by adding an aluminum brace on each side and thru-bolting it but in all reality, it will probably be just as much work to just replace the Z-lock.

It's no big deal really.......de-tension the awning spring, remove the old lock, add the new lock, re-tension the spring.....YOU"RE DONE!

Wasn't that simple????

Really though, I've done about 8 of these last year and they are just as straight forward as the directions make it out to be. I would go for it!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Director,
I think that several of us have stood with part in hand wondering the same thng you are!
I love to 'win' by effecting a repair of my own, however, the repair part is cheap, the fix takes 30 miutes, an then you are back in business, a little wiser, and not tempted to be so 'burley' next time.
Also, it gives you the chance to clean any corrosion form the end while you have it out.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Thank you both for your thoughts and input.. I think I may attempt the repair. Having read the instructions, I'm sill a bit confused and might need a few pointers...
1. Do I put the awning all the way out to begin the repair?
2. Do I need to take both ends off or just the one with the lever?
3.. What is the process of de-tensioning?

I'll go ahead and re-read the instructions on the Zip Dee website, maybe it will be clearer a second or maybe third time around?

Can any of you give me your instructions from your experience on this repair? I'm not afrid to tackle it.. just don't want to hurt myself or more imporatntly the Zip Dee!
Thanks again!
Director
Old 10-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
Thank you both for your thoughts and input.. I think I may attempt the repair. Having read the instructions, I'm sill a bit confused and might need a few pointers...
1. Do I put the awning all the way out to begin the repair?
2. Do I need to take both ends off or just the one with the lever?
3.. What is the process of de-tensioning?

I'll go ahead and re-read the instructions on the Zip Dee website, maybe it will be clearer a second or maybe third time around?

Can any of you give me your instructions from your experience on this repair? I'm not afrid to tackle it.. just don't want to hurt myself or more imporatntly the Zip Dee!
Thanks again!
Director
Director,

I'll take a look at my master installers sheet when I get back to the shop tomorrow and give you a synopsis of the Z-lock replacement procedure. Hang loose 'till then.................
Old 10-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
"Snapped off" Z lock.

Thanks Lew for looking into this and forwardiing on to me some simple instructions on the repair. Yesterday I called a local custom coach company that represents Zip Dee. He has an entire replacement component (including the lever) for about $60.00. So rather just replacing the lever I might elect to just replace the whole assembly. For all I know the lever snapped due to a "frozen up" element inside the unit.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Director
Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Director,

The replacement of just the Z-lock lever entails the total removal of the Z-lock from the awning tube. You can replace just the lever, but there is probably either an obstruction, jam or corrosion inside the lock that caused the breakage in the first place.

I would recommend replacing the entire Z-lock, as the labor is actually less to do so than just replacing the lever.

Here are the abreviated steps:

*fully extend awning and set the rear rafter arm
*remove and discard the bolt assembly holding the casting to the lock.
*rest the forward end of the awning on a ladder and let the front arm rest on the ground
*drill and remove 4 rivets holding Z-lock to the roller tube, then remove the lock
*insert new lock into roller, align holes and replace rivets
*open Z-lock (downward position), rotate the roller so the lock lever is facing down
*bring up head casting, align hole and insert new screw with lock nut and tighten
*your DONE!

PS: IT helps (a lot!) to have a second person help you with this!

Operation:

Z-lock should be in open (down) position to deploy awning and should STAY
in that position until you want to roll up the awning. DO NOT LOCK IT WHEN DEPLOYED

To retract the awning, close Z-lock (forward and up position) and close the awning

Be sure to spiral the pull strap and not allow it to wrap straight up on the roller.

That's it!!! Have fun.........................
Old 10-20-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Sevierville , Tennessee
Hi Lew,
Thanks for your thoughts and I'm now convinced I should just go pick up the whole assembly from the custom coach folks. I will go by thier establishment on Wednesday on my way back from Nashville. I'll go ahead with the repair sometime in the next week or so and be sure to get back with you on how I managed the repair.
I just love this forum stuff and thank you Lew!

Director