Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
beaumont , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 144
Modifying a ZipDee awning

I have a 69 safari 23' with awning rail. I was fortunate enough to recieve an awning from an international, the awning is 15' long. My measurement on the safari 13 ' from end rib to front rib, for mounting. I want to cut the awning down, shorten it to fit my trailer. I have gotten sage advice from a member who has done this, and I am asking for the safari's exact dimensions for the awning, the location of the mounting brackets, and any instructions or pointers on how to install this on my trailer .. mine has never had an awning, so other than the rail being there, I am starting from scratch. Thanks in advance Richard
__________________

__________________
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
m.hony's Avatar
 
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11,837
I hope that works out for you. You could use the extra material you cut away to make some sofa pillows. That would be cool.
__________________

__________________
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
tracker
 
tracker's Avatar
 
1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie722 View Post
I have a 69 safari 23' with awning rail. I was fortunate enough to recieve an awning from an international, the awning is 15' long. My measurement on the safari 13 ' from end rib to front rib, for mounting. I want to cut the awning down, shorten it to fit my trailer. I have gotten sage advice from a member who has done this, and I am asking for the safari's exact dimensions for the awning, the location of the mounting brackets, and any instructions or pointers on how to install this on my trailer .. mine has never had an awning, so other than the rail being there, I am starting from scratch. Thanks in advance Richard
Hi Iam in the process of getting the awning on my 69 safari repaired .My safari came with the awning frame and no fabric I can't find a name ie zip dee or carefree would it be possoble for you to post a photo of your frame so I could compare I would sure like to know who made this one. Thank you. Carl
__________________
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Modifying a ZipDee awning

Greetings Carl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Hi Iam in the process of getting the awning on my 69 safari repaired .My safari came with the awning frame and no fabric I can't find a name ie zip dee or carefree would it be possoble for you to post a photo of your frame so I could compare I would sure like to know who made this one. Thank you. Carl
There were a number of awning manufacturers during the Vintage Airstream timeframe who supplied awnings for Airstream travel trailers. Some of the possibilities included:

Zip Dee -- probably the easiest to identify just from the arms -- square tubing where most others were rectangular tubing . . . .





A more obscure possibility is the EZ Awn by Atlas Enterprises:


Carefree of Colorado:


A & E Travel Awn or one of its stablemates:


I am sure that there are other, but these are among the more often found makes of awnings for the 1960s and 1970s era.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
beaumont , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 144
awning

It is definitely a care free. I unrolled it and it is good shape, but not the right color for the wife. I am going to get another one., if anybody needs a 14 ft. vinyl carefree white with blue linear stripes.. let me know. I got it as a gift, but had to pay shipping.. dont use ups... they charged 325 from ohio.. Richard
__________________
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
overlander64's Avatar
 
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 5,396
Images: 183
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Modifying a ZipDee awning

Greetings Richard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie722 View Post
It is definitely a care free. I unrolled it and it is good shape, but not the right color for the wife. I am going to get another one., if anybody needs a 14 ft. vinyl carefree white with blue linear stripes.. let me know. I got it as a gift, but had to pay shipping.. dont use ups... they charged 325 from ohio.. Richard
If your only problem with the awning is the color of the fabric, you may find it more economical to just replace the fabric. There are two ways to replace the fabric. You can choose to replace only the fabric utilizing your existing roller-tube; or you can purchase a new roller-tube with fabric. Just replacing the fabric opens up a huge number of choices as you can have an upholsterer or awning shop utilize the fabric and color of your choice . . . Sunbrella fabrics tend to have the color combinations most often associated with Airstreams, and have the added attraction of being "breathable" rather than the heat trapping vinyl fabrics utilized by a number of the manufacturers other than Zip Dee.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
__________________
Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
tracker
 
tracker's Avatar
 
1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Carl!



There were a number of awning manufacturers during the Vintage Airstream timeframe who supplied awnings for Airstream travel trailers. Some of the possibilities included:

Zip Dee -- probably the easiest to identify just from the arms -- square tubing where most others were rectangular tubing . . . .





A more obscure possibility is the EZ Awn by Atlas Enterprises:


Carefree of Colorado:


A & E Travel Awn or one of its stablemates:


I am sure that there are other, but these are among the more often found makes of awnings for the 1960s and 1970s era.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
Thanks kevin for the info from the photos I'd say mine is similar to the A7E or the carefree of colorado but the frame on mine is galv.steel pipe. Iguess it could even be home made. I plan to keep researching .
__________________
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
tracker
 
tracker's Avatar
 
1969 23' Safari
crescent city , California
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie722 View Post
I have a 69 safari 23' with awning rail. I was fortunate enough to recieve an awning from an international, the awning is 15' long. My measurement on the safari 13 ' from end rib to front rib, for mounting. I want to cut the awning down, shorten it to fit my trailer. I have gotten sage advice from a member who has done this, and I am asking for the safari's exact dimensions for the awning, the location of the mounting brackets, and any instructions or pointers on how to install this on my trailer .. mine has never had an awning, so other than the rail being there, I am starting from scratch. Thanks in advance Richard
Hi Richard
I just thouhgt that if you are still planning to cut down your 15 ft awning I could tell you that the awning rolller or tube on my 69 sarfari is 12ft 10 inches long and was attached at four points with self tapping screws going into the ribs just aheadof the door frame and at the rear on the curbside of the trailer. I could send some photos if that would help if you PM me. I still haven't figured out how to post photos to this website. good luck. Carl
__________________

__________________
tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.