Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
What you said. I once saw an awning ripped off a big class A by a sudden afternoon windstorm while the owners were away from the campsite.
I use to loath ( have an occasional lazy streak in me) the frequent Deploy and Retract routine so I would take a chance and be forced out of bed on occasion.
The sweet thing about the automatic is that now before I lock the door I hit the button and presto. When we return unlock the door and hit the button again.
Not having it on the previous AS I did not miss it and like most thought who needs the complication. It came with the classic so now I am getting spoiled.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I use to loath ( have an occasional lazy streak in me) the frequent Deploy and Retract routine so I would take a chance and be forced out of bed on occasion.
The sweet thing about the automatic is that now before I lock the door I hit the button and presto. When we return unlock the door and hit the button again.
Not having it on the previous AS I did not miss it and like most thought who needs the complication. It came with the classic so now I am getting spoiled.
Be careful, cause it might just decide to deploy itself back out. Mine did one time during the night. Mine seems to have a mind of its own...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #43
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Manual vs automatic awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Be careful, cause it might just decide to deploy itself back out. Mine did one time during the night. Mine seems to have a mind of its own...

2016 or 2017 onwards has a power disconnect “off” switch on the control panel. I always cut the power on mine when it is retracted.

They continue to address the glitches / bugs. I embrace technology and don’t mind being an early adopter at all.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
I was somewhat apprehensive about having an automatic awning on our 2017 2017 classic. I accepted it thinking if it becomes problematic I will swap it for a manual. To date it has performed 100 percent trouble free and since I can deploy it manually should something go sideways I love it.
The manual can be adjusted a bit better however being able to simply push a button and retract when I feel like it is really great..
I recall many of nights when the wind picked up or started to rain heavily, getting out of bed going outside the retract the awning.
It's probably kind of weird but I actually kind of enjoyed the little ritual of extending and retracting the manual awning. That said, we haven't had the '18 Classic very long so maybe I'll come to appreciate the power awning, especially if it remains trouble free.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
They continue to address the glitches / bugs. I embrace technology and don’t mind being an early adopter at all.
I don't consider this thing technology, just a Rube Goldberg contraption of motors mounted in moving assemblies, non lubricated arms going in and out, wiring routed everywhere, inaccessible access ports, and failure prone controls. Not to mention Zip Dee doesn't offer individual parts to fix it. You have to buy expensive complete assemblies like the support arms at $1500 each.

I am an engineer and I love well designed electrical and mechanical devices and "gadgets". I own a lot of them and have beta tested many of them. This ZD power awning ain't one of them. I would like to know what improvements have been made since my 2014. I asked ZD service when mine failed the 3rd time and they couldn't give me any. Just looking at the new ones from the outside, I don't see any changes.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. I'm getting old and crunchy, and would love a power awning, but this system does NOT seem ready for prime time yet.

Our hack is to park so the streetside awning takes the most hot sun. Deploying that awning is unlock, grab the strap, and pull, then hook the strap on the easily reachable hook gizmo that holds it open. Mere seconds to deploy. Ditto on retract. If you are not going to be driving, you just leave it rolled up, latch when ready to leave (yes, it's on the checklist TWICE).
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:24 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post
Interesting posts. I really wanted to get a classic but opted for a FC because when I asked dealer "where is the mechanical backup when the electric awning fails?" they responded with" There isn't any" Hmmmm.

Actually I was wrong here. There is a way to mechanically roll it it up according to the Zip Dee owners manual. Process too long and complicated to discuss here. Seems it literally requires two men and a boy to do it. Ladies are also welcome. Not for me, thank you very much.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
My soon-to-be 28 Serenity was ordered with a manual awning.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #49
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick1 View Post
My soon-to-be 28 Serenity was ordered with a manual awning.
brick
Good call!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocinante View Post
good call!