Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

making my own awning.......

I was going to ask this on the Caravel board but thought I'd get more results here. I have a 17' 1965 Caravel that I just bought. There is no awning. We have a awning and tent maker in town and I thought I'd ask them for a price on just a piece of heavy duty awning with finished ends, a scalloped front and 4 gromets for tying in the back to trees and using our poles in the front. I would not be attaching anything to my trailer. It looks as though the length I need would be 7'. Any idea on how far out the awning should project? Since we seldom will use the after market A/C on the roof I can either go over it or stop just in front. If we stop in front I'll have to make sure the gromets don't scratch the finish. I thought it might give us a cozy seating area with some protection from the rain.

Hmmm, now that I've said all that it seems like it might not be too practical

Any help with size or other ideas would be appreciated.

Ann
AnnZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
First thing I'd do is check Ebay using Awning or Screen Room or Canopy as your search phrase. Seems to be some good bargains under those listings.

An example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...320923140&rd=1
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:15 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you don't want to attach anything to the trailer, then a little canopy with four legs would probably be the easiest thing to set up. Seems like getting a piece of awning OVER the trailer to fasten to trees would be tricky, and unlikely that there would always be trees behind you where you need them.

To make a pole awning you need to attach an awning rail to your trailer. Mine has one, and it really doesn't look like anything when there's no awning in it. I am planning to sew up the material for a pole awning this winter. It will slid into the awning rail on the trailer and be held up by poles. I've seen them on other Caravels and they look very traditional.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnZ3
Any help with size or other ideas would be appreciated.

Ann
You may also want to check out the "Vintage Looking Awnings" thread for some simple solutions.

Do you have an awning rail? It would make life a bit easier if you do...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

awning

I don't have an awning rail and I don't think I'd be able to add one unless I took it to someone and I bet that would be expensive. Those of you who have the rails..I assume they were already there? If one is added how would a home made awning fit in there? I did stop by the awning place but no one was there. In the parking lot they had a huge one drying. I looked at the holes (gromets) and they were all covered with the canvas and sewing so I wouldn't have to worry about the bare metal. They had a very thick nautical type rope through some of the holes so I think a heavy rope would make it easier to throw over the top and tie. I was thinking of the Adirondacks, where we usually go, when I thought of trees--but you're right I can't count on having them all the times. I also saw a picture on here someplace of an older AS with green and white awnings on the windows. They looked lovely! Do you know how this was done? Is a rod set inside the rain "gutter?"

Thanks for the advice.

Oh our first outing this past weekend my husband slept in his pants with the car keys in his pocket. At 4am he rolled over on them setting off the panic button in our car. Then in his rush to get out the door of the AS he locked us in..again. My plan was to tell anyone who asked that we were scaring off the 2 bears that were in the campground :-)

Ann
Old 09-01-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

reading the thread

I just read the thread on vintage awnings. Thank you! Does anyone have more pictures of older Caravels (or similar) with awnings that I can see?

Ann
Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Caravel to NY

Ann,

I think we've exchanged info in the past. We are in Plymouth. I am bringing the wife's 1965 Caravel home this weekend. It has an awning rail too. We too are looking to make a vintage awning for it.

Rob

You're more than welcome to come check it out sometime. You must come to our 2005 October rally there in Central NY...we are planning it now for next year. Hope to have alot of Vintage units come.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Awning rail runs anywhere from $1.80 to $3.00 per/running foot at RV stores, so it's very inexpensive and it's easy to install ( just drill holes on awning rail, mark them on trailer, drill them on trailer and pop rivet with vulkem behind or between rail and body). The awning rail has an open pipe hole that runs the whole lenght and this is where you would attach the awning to. Your awning must have a hemmed edge over a rope that fits inside the hole of the rail on that side or edge. Your awning rail on the Caravel should only go on the flat surface of the trailer and not go past or beyond where the body starts to curve in the front or the back. Study an exsisting example and that should answer a lot of questions. Good luck.
Ernie
"58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
You're more than welcome to come check it out sometime. You must come to our 2005 October rally there in Central NY...we are planning it now for next year. Hope to have alot of Vintage units come.
Hi Rob,

I am halfway between Syracuse and Rochester, central New York, I'd love to help with anything you might need for a rally next year. I think we are a bit afraid to drill into our AS. After all it's been fine for 39 years w/o a rail. But it doesn't look as though an awning will work unless we do.

Ann
Old 09-02-2004, 05:31 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Anyone know what size rope to sew in the awning to fit the original awning rail ?

chris 63 flyincloud
Flyincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:22 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

If the shop in your town that makes canvas work makes awnings,then they will know about awning rails.

Eschew Obfuscation
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:42 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMullen
If the shop in your town that makes canvas work makes awnings,then they will know about awning rails.
You were right! They knew just what I was talking about. They are going to make me an awning for the Caravel and 5 window awnings with snaps for attaching. I'm getting Sunbrella material. Total cost is $300. I thought that was a terrific price.

Ann