Old 09-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
Jack, I dropped the one side down another two notches, and it worked perfectly. I thought that dropping it one notch would be okay, but this Texas rain comes down quick.

Silverhobby, It's only me living here for right now, and retracting the awning every night is a pain in the kiester. The repair was extremely easy and, with Jack's suggestion, I shouldn't have any more problems. The only time I plan to retract the awning is when there's a lot of wind.

Frederic
Zip Dee has "center supports" that help the awnings strength, especially during a rain storm.

A few people use two of them.

Works great even during a huge down pour.

Andy

Old 09-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Awning rain/wind adjustments

My new 2006 Safari Zip Dee awning needed two people to retract one side. I was tired of appearing to be the 90 pound weakling, so I figured out how to remove the "retractable rod" using the Zip Dee manual in the AS new owners pack. Obviously, while on the dealer's parking lot or trailer show, this bar was bent. So here is my temporary fix while in the Red Desert of Wyoming.

I eye balled the wave (like you check lumber for warps) in the rod and took my 3 pound sledge (for rock hounding) and my 3 foot section of 2x12 that I keep for "fun projects" and began to lightly forge the aluminum rod back to straight (another term for beating the hell out of it). The best I could. On a FLAT surface you can see any irregular waves in the normal straight rod. It now could be adjusted by one person, but I called Zip Dee upon my return and explained my situation. Salesperson JJM said I should not have that kind of problem with a new trailer and in 2006 sent me a "goodwill part". Works perfect now. So you now can temporarily straighten the "main arm bar" part #71300R or L. I should have asked the salesman at the AS dealership why he was having a hard time operating the awning. We newbies learn a lot on those break in trips.

Another spare part to carry is the claw section that latches onto the awning when extended. The original was cracked on the same side of the bent main arm assembly. I keep the new one handy in the event the cracked one finally gives up. With a spare part in tow, it will probably out last me...

Old 09-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I considered it, but what it comes down to is that I am LAZY!!!! LOL!!! It's a real pain in the neck to retract, extend, retract, extend.....I might as well not have the doggone thing. Using Jack's suggestion, I don't think I'll have any more problems. If the wind kicks up bad, I'll retract it.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
my buddies excella from the 70's has a couple of large brass grommets installed in the center about a foot up from the roller.

they act as drains in case the rain tries to " bathtub " the awning.

i have seen it in action and does work.

i keep mine one notch lower on the back end with good results even in heavy downpours.

john
Old 09-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
John, that is a damn good idea! Of course, I wonder if the strength of the awning is affected. About four months ago, I saw a derelict Airstream that had an optional support bar in the middle, which I think is a good idea, but not all of the parts were there, so it was pretty useless to me. I'll call Zip Dee tomorrow and ask the experts their opinions on these questions.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
frederic

as far a strength goes his awning is 35 years old and still in excellent shape!

calling zip dee is a good idea.

john
Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
2006 34' Classic S/O
Kerrville , Texas
Send a message via ICQ to S&C2343
Well thanks everyone for the laughs on this dumb bent awning! we are looking for three heavy hunks in the kerrville area to help with this proceedure! will take pictures for sure, from a distance. we have those big high arms and can't seem to find the awning saver's to work right on it. we always tie it down and anchor as we have had one awning in one of those Indiana Wind Tunnels (we call them toronadoes) put the awning through the roof. what a hoot that was. it was sunshinning & beautiful and within 20 minutes it blew down 5 barns, knocked out all windows in town. What a ride.
moved our 32' over about 3 feet and all our chairs, lites & etc. was scattered across the road.

will keep you posted.
thanks so for all the info.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
we have the center support bar and the awning better be tilted in a downpour even with the bar!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
we have the center support bar and the awning better be tilted in a downpour even with the bar!
We've gone through two rear support bars because the awning wasn't tilted enough during a down pour. Now we make sure the rear support is in the lowest natch except when we are using the awning, i.e. sitting under it or dining under it and I have a spare bar under the sofa just in case!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
2006 34' Classic S/O
Kerrville , Texas
Send a message via ICQ to S&C2343
what type of vehicle do you tow your trailer?
thanks in advance
sandra
Old 04-30-2008, 08:14 AM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome S&C2343. I'm not sure who your question is directed at, so I'll take a shot since my post preceded your's.

I have a 2008 Ford F-250 diesel super crew short bed. This is my second; my first was a 2005. I only traded because I have a back injury that was being aggravated by the seats in the '05 and the '08's were redesigned from the ground up including the front seats. The new truck is my daily driver, as was the '05 and the F-150 that I had before, and it is a pleasure to drive. The '05 was purpose bought as a tow vehicle for our 30' Airstream. I believe the '05 had better highway torque/power than the '08 despite having a slightly smaller engine and definitely got better fuel economy, but the ride in the '08 sure makes up for the difference. Both trucks were Lariat additions rather than the King Ranch because we travel with our two sons and cocker spaniel and needed the bench seat in the back so the dog would have a seat to ride in. We use a dogie seat belt to keep him secured during travel.

Like everyone else here, I'm glade to answer any questions I can.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote