Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
OK, I decided to play with my ZipDee awning today. Read the directions several times, haven't done this in awhile, got someone to help me because there was no way I could hold the awning out while getting the arms situated. Used silicone spray on the arms and the roller. I still have a problem. I can pull the awning way down to get maximum shade, but it won't stay there. If I touch it just a bit, it goes up to a high position. Am I supposed to tie the main strap down? What am I doing wrong?

Carol

Old 11-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
OK, I decided to play with my ZipDee awning today. Read the directions several times, haven't done this in awhile, got someone to help me because there was no way I could hold the awning out while getting the arms situated. Used silicone spray on the arms and the roller. I still have a problem. I can pull the awning way down to get maximum shade, but it won't stay there. If I touch it just a bit, it goes up to a high position. Am I supposed to tie the main strap down? What am I doing wrong?

Carol
I suspect that you are not installing the rafter arms correctly. The ends go over the shaft at the ends of the roll and then they are extended until they lock in place. Take a look at the instructions from ZipDee:
Awnings By ZipDee

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I did put the rafter arms over the end of the roll, but I think I missed hearing any click that locked it into place. I'll try it again tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #18
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
The ratchet studs that lock the awning could have sheared. They are available (in a vastly improved version) from Zip Dee. Go to the web site and look at "Contour Hardware". It will show you the part (illustration # 10).
Oops, is it a brand new awning? My bad if it is.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I don't know if I grasped the lower arm and pushed FIRMLY down in the direction of the arrow. I could barely hang on to the damn thing, it just wanted to return to the mother ship.....
Old 11-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Go online to the ZipDee site and see if the diagrams make any sense to you. Then call the nice folks at ZipDee and describe your problem. I suspect they can tell you what's going on and what to do next.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
OK, I watched the ZipDee Maintenance video several times, cursing the guy who made it look so easy, watching him holding the awning out with practically one finger while throwing the ratchet arm around with his other hand. I swear he even let it go for a moment while he was talking. I meanwhile have the pull down strip clenched between my knees trying to make my way to the side to start trying to pull the button out on the main arm to stretch that baby to the next hole. After hearing snickering from behind the bushes here at my RV park, I say I need help. My assistant steps forward.
"Could you just hold this tie strap for a minute, I have to figure out how to do this 'spear motion' with the rafter arm?" He takes the tie strap. I make several 'spear motions' with the rafter arm and in return the roller comes back and hits me in the head. Now the guy is really trying hard not to laugh, but I say wait, I really have to learn how to do this. A few more spear motions and I give up. Good thing I am not relying on this motion to secure my dinner or I'd go hungry. I take over holding the tie strap and with one quick strike, he spears it into lock. At least now I know it works.
I take my can of silicone and spray the s*** out of nook and cranny, wipe with clean cloth and reverse all the steps to put it away. Reward my assistant with a cold Corona. Guess i'll have to start an exercise regime to get in shape for future awning opening practice. Has anyone out there really done this alone?

Carol
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #22
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
One more thing...
When my awning is fully rolled out, it will not roll back up unless I start to roll it by hand. I think your spring may have too much tension on it and you may want to check it.

WARNING
To adjust the tension you must disconnect the rear arm which has the spring tension on it and if it gets free can cause damage to you and your trailer. This is a job for two people, if you are not sure of what you are doing, don't do it!

Instructions are here: Awnings By ZipDee

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Oh, now that is guaranteed to kill me and decapitate the roof of my trailer. I think I will just circumvent the tension by putting out a dog stake out pole and tie the tie strap to it while I make all the necessary arm adjustments....

Carol
Old 11-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Hi Carol,
Not sure if this is the same video that you were watching, but it really helped me the first time I used my Zip Dee:

YouTube - Zip Dee Patio Awning Operating Instructions For Airstream

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Oh, now that is guaranteed to kill me and decapitate the roof of my trailer. I think I will just circumvent the tension by putting out a dog stake out pole and tie the tie strap to it while I make all the necessary arm adjustments....

Carol
That's EXACTLY what I use!

Also, I never was able to lock the upper rafter arms in place - no matter how hard I pull down on the rafter arm or extend the awning - the pin just wouldn't engage/lock in place. Randy, at ZipDee, said that problem is probably with the Button (i.e. Ratchet Stud) on the Upper Rafter Arm. He said to pull the Button as far out as possible and look for the Roll Pin on it's shaft. The Roll Pin should be facing the hook. If it isn't, rotate/twist the Button so that it is. The portion of the Button that is hidden within the Rafter Arm is beveled and needs to be oriented correctly to engage in the Lower Rafter Arm. You know it's oriented correctly when the Roll Pin is facing the hook end! I hope to check this out soon to see if it fixes my problem!!! With it engaged properly, it should hold the awning out securely.

Laura
Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #26
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
If I was going to stake out a dog to hold the awning, I'd make sure the dog was big enough to keep all four feet on the ground.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
OK, I watched the ZipDee Maintenance video several times, cursing the guy who made it look so easy, watching him holding the awning out with practically one finger while throwing the ratchet arm around with his other hand. I swear he even let it go for a moment while he was talking. I meanwhile have the pull down strip clenched between my knees trying to make my way to the side to start trying to pull the button out on the main arm to stretch that baby to the next hole. After hearing snickering from behind the bushes here at my RV park, I say I need help. My assistant steps forward.
"Could you just hold this tie strap for a minute, I have to figure out how to do this 'spear motion' with the rafter arm?" He takes the tie strap. I make several 'spear motions' with the rafter arm and in return the roller comes back and hits me in the head. Now the guy is really trying hard not to laugh, but I say wait, I really have to learn how to do this. A few more spear motions and I give up. Good thing I am not relying on this motion to secure my dinner or I'd go hungry. I take over holding the tie strap and with one quick strike, he spears it into lock. At least now I know it works.
I take my can of silicone and spray the s*** out of nook and cranny, wipe with clean cloth and reverse all the steps to put it away. Reward my assistant with a cold Corona. Guess i'll have to start an exercise regime to get in shape for future awning opening practice. Has anyone out there really done this alone?

Carol
I do it alone always. Rather than spearing the rafter arm, I place a small step stool below the end of the roller, I walk myself daon the roller tube, step up on the stool facing the trailer, and sharply pull the rafter arm to
click it in place. There is something about the height and my build that just doesn't allow be to spear it with any strength.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I should've proofed...no clue what daon is....should be "down"