Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Installing a Zipdee on a '71

I'm trying to figure out how to install a Zipdee on my 71 Tradewind that never had an awning. To make my life more complicated I am doing it from salvaged parts from different coachs. I think the roller and fabric was not even from an Airstream (it has a big beaver logo) but sure looks like a Zipdee with the rollling metal cover and cloth canopy. It is 21' long and I need to cut it down.

Here's where I can use some help:
1. The awning rail is exactly 15' long and is directly over the vertical seams and rivet lines on the shell of the trailer. I assume the Zipdee upper mounts should be mounted on this seam so it is attached to a rib?

2. That would mean the awning width should be a few inches less than 15'?

3. The roller has what I think is called a Z lock at each end.{if you are curious how it broke see the photo in the first post of the recent Airstream Owies threadhttp://www.airforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79990&d=1241971561} One end has a broken lever (I think the spring is attached to this one?) And the other first turned freely and now binds ( I took this one off the roller. The salvaged awning arms I have, have one of those little round wheels to secure the awning for travel. Are these 2 different systems that do the same thing? If so what are your recomendatations?

4. I am missing the outside end hardware for the rafter arms. Any body have a photo?

I am attaching a few photos. The installed photo is not my trailer but shows the relationship between upper bracket and width of awning I am talking about. Also a photo of the Z lock and the little wheely thing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April 4,2009 023.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	80491   Click image for larger version

Name:	zip dee 002.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	80492  

Attached Images

Old 05-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #2

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Marshall,
I'll post some numbers and pictures after I get home from work today. My 75 TW should be the same as your 71.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Marshall,
I'll post some numbers and pictures after I get home from work today. My 75 TW should be the same as your 71.
Thanks Richard

I could also use a photo that shows how the rafter arm attaches to the awning when the awning is extended.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM   #4

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Here we go...

First of all, my trailer is filthy dirty. We had a dust storm roll through the valley and it covered my trailer with dirt, we might have another tonight.

My awning does not have the roller locks that yours has. It is fairly new and they don't use the locks on the newer ones. They have a travel latch which prevents the roll from unrolling in the wind. It is a cheap and simple solution and it is highly recommended.

The fabric on my awning is 14' 7 3/4" wide.
The roller is 14' 10" wide.

Here are a few pictures to show what it looks like. The rafter arm hooks onto the shaft of the awning roller. In one of the pictures I removed it from the shaft and set it on top of the roller to show what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arm1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	80543   Click image for larger version

Name:	arm2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	80544  

Name:	lock1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	80545   Click image for larger version

Name:	travellatch.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	80546  

Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post

My awning does not have the roller locks that yours has. It is fairly new and they don't use the locks on the newer ones. They have a travel latch which prevents the roll from unrolling in the wind. It is a cheap and simple solution and it is highly recommended.
The photos help quite a bit. And I'm pretty sure I can figure it out. But, the following info will let me check my ideas, if you have the time.

I don't see any reason I can't use the existing Z locks. I can even use it with the travel lock. This is a little bit like wearing a belt and suspenders. I can also turn the Z lock into a free wheeling end piece be removing a small part, a 5 minute job.

Let's see if I have this right:
The main awning arms and the rafter arms lay side by side with the main arms outside the rafter arms?

Are the upper brackets mounted over the vertical shell seam and into the vertical rib?

Is the distance between the vertical seams where the end caps start exactly 15'.

I'm pretty sure the travel lock is the small (approx 2") wheel, right?

What is the distance between the end of the roller tube and the end of the 1/2" shaft? (with the Z lock it is 1 3/4")
Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #6

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You can use your z-locks to secure the roller, I just wanted to let you know that my awning did not have any.

The rafter arms are on the inside. The picture is of the rear set.

Yes, they attach along the rib as shown in a picture I took during the install. I did have to modify the latch to sit flat over the edge of the vista view. I ground off some material off the back side. I don't know if you have vista views or not on your TW.

Yes, the seams are 15' apart (measured at the mid belt line).

The round wheel is called a clamp wheel.
Awnings By ZipDee
The travel lock (latch) is shown here:
Awnings By ZipDee

I can't tell without pulling the head off the shaft (ain't going to do that). I do have 1/2" of shaft exposed where it enters the head. That is where the rafter arm connects.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear arms.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	80550   Click image for larger version

Name:	latch.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	80551  

Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1967 24' Tradewind
1975 31' Sovereign
Estancia , New Mexico
Following some old Zipdee installation instructions (Thanks Zep) The directions call for mounting the main support arm hinge 71 1/2" below the awning rail. If I use a full length awning, this will place the rear hinge in the middle of my battery compartment door. So I have 3 choices I can see:
1. lower the hinges a few inches and mount on the belt line
2. raise the hinges a few inches so hinge is mounted above the compartment door
3. shorten the awning about a foot so that the hinge clears the compartment door.

If I lower the hinge to the belt line the support arm will block opening the compartment door. I am not very concerned about that as I don't store anything in there and if I need to get in there I can access by replacing the hinge bolt with a removable pin, or get in from under the rear gaucho mattress or bathroom closet.

The main thing I want to find out about is will lowering the hinge to the belt line work?
Any body think I should raise the hinge? If neither of these options are practical I can shorten the awning a foot. What do you think?