Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I Need Awning Fabric Help!

I am trying to find fabric with vertical blue and white stripes like my original Carefree awning came with. Carefree of Colorado has Acrylic fabric with stripes but cannot attach weather guard fabric to it. It needs to be protected by Alumaguard cover but they don't make that available for curved arm awnings. It is sad that I can't find vinyl in stripes that will fit my 40+ year old curved arm awning. Any one out there that knows of a source for this material please let me know. I wanted to keep it all Carefree but once again the OEM has seen fit to move to a different style/pattern on their awning fabric. I have seen vertical striped material by Sunbrella but one would have to have it stitched together and have polycord added as well as some type of weather guard. That would be just too labor intensive to be cost effective. Please, Can anybody help? Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
OK, couple of things. Do you have a picture you can e-mail to a source for comparison to what they have/can get? I have been working w/a couple of wholesale upholstery dealers on some window covers I want. I wanted a particular fabric and both can get it. One is here in the Denver, CO area and one is in Seattle. If you can supply a pic and real good description, one or both might be able to help you.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Have used Sunbrella in the past with good luck...

Sewing Notions, Flagcloth, Upholstery Supplies, Drapery Grommets, Sunbrella
Old 07-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
I have to go to work right now, but let me know and I will look up names/numbers when I return, if you are interested.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We added an aluminum cover to our Carefree on the Caravel several years ago. C&G in Bellflower had several used aluminum covers. I was able to have them cut one to the length needed. We then removed the vinyl awning and took it to a boat canvas guy. He cut off the first wrap of vinyl, which was beginning to go bad, and sewed in the plastic bead needed. We then put the awning back on the trailer.

Never been sorry.

As far as Sunbrella, the awning on our newly purchased '83 Excella has a Zip Dee on the patio side as well as street side and rear window. All original equipment. The were all very dirty. I washed them well, let them dry, then treated them with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard (that's what Sunbrella uses) and they look and shed water like new. They are not as stiff as new, but they look great and work just fine. I think they may have spent most of their 25 years rolled up.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you are looking for the fabric that is on my awnings, you may be out of luck. Sunbrella discontinued this pattern recently. According to Zipdee, my street side awning was made with the last piece that they had in stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	84280  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
Smile

Man, I hope they got my rear window awning done and shipped before they did yours???
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
When we went to pick out the Sunbrella fabric the 6 inch plain stripes were no longer in the book.
There are about 60 or so stripped patterns in the book. Only 3 or 4 that seemed to fit the Vintage mold, and each came in 5 colors. We settled on a 4 inch strip with 2 smaller ones on each side. The shop that did ours said the fabric we picked only came in 36 inch widths. He was hoping to find 48".
Material for the 9x7 awning came to $220. Labor another $200. Pricey compaired to factory material but well worth the look.

Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
If you are looking for the fabric that is on my awnings, you may be out of luck. Sunbrella discontinued this pattern recently. According to Zipdee, my street side awning was made with the last piece that they had in stock.
Richard, That was my original thought to go with the white and blue stripe. ZippDee won't even sell me awning fabric because my 40+ year old awning is a Carefree. I have been looking at all the web sites to find someone still selling the vertical striped fabric. Carefree has it in Acrylic (stock # R-016) but won't sell it without Alumaguard and that doesn't work with curved arms. Sunbrella has a blue with gray stripe on their web site that I may have to go with but I will have to find someone to sew it into an awning 11'3" wide as the material is 46" wide. Then it would need to have a weatherguard added as well as the polycord. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
We added an aluminum cover to our Carefree on the Caravel several years ago. C&G in Bellflower had several used aluminum covers. I was able to have them cut one to the length needed. We then removed the vinyl awning and took it to a boat canvas guy. He cut off the first wrap of vinyl, which was beginning to go bad, and sewed in the plastic bead needed. We then put the awning back on the trailer.

Never been sorry.

As far as Sunbrella, the awning on our newly purchased '83 Excella has a Zip Dee on the patio side as well as street side and rear window. All original equipment. The were all very dirty. I washed them well, let them dry, then treated them with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard (that's what Sunbrella uses) and they look and shed water like new. They are not as stiff as new, but they look great and work just fine. I think they may have spent most of their 25 years rolled up.
Jim, My fabric is so badly stained and ripped that nothing can bring it back to good. I'll have to go another route but thanks for the tip on the 303 fabric guard. Ed
Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Carefree of Colorado - Fabric Catalog by Recasens USA

Click on swatches. I think there is a total of 76 colors available They have the blue and white stripes. That is the color we had as well, but we picked something a little different this time. The aluminum guard looks and works great. I adjusted the arm length a little longer so it cleared the stove vent on our 72 sovereign. We choose the one piece awning, it makes for a very clean look. You will need to go to a local RV Dealer to order it. Take a print out of the color and the website with you. Make sure to make a very noticeable notation that you want vertical stripes. I think the new fabric was about 475.
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thread: I Need Awning Fabric Help!

Greetings Ed!

Have you tried any of the canvas awning compaies in the Quad Cities? There are several that specialize in custom-made awnings, and may be able to supply a fabric that suits your needs as well as prepare the fabric for installation.
Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Kevin, I have already spoken to Sears Awning in their office in Moline. They use sunbrella fabrics but don't make any awnings with the vertical stripes. Thanks for the other leads though, I will check them out. Ed
Old 07-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
Carefree of Colorado - Fabric Catalog by Recasens USA

Click on swatches. I think there is a total of 76 colors available They have the blue and white stripes. That is the color we had as well, but we picked something a little different this time. The aluminum guard looks and works great. I adjusted the arm length a little longer so it cleared the stove vent on our 72 sovereign. We choose the one piece awning, it makes for a very clean look. You will need to go to a local RV Dealer to order it. Take a print out of the color and the website with you. Make sure to make a very noticeable notation that you want vertical stripes. I think the new fabric was about 475.
Bill, I have spoken at length with Carefree. They only have striped fabric in Acrylic and they only sell it with Alumaguard metal covers. They say that Alumaguard won't fit on curved arm awnings and I really don't want to completely replace my awning. Since the fabric is all I need I guess I will continue to search the differnt vendors until I find something I feel good about. I will keep on looking. If anyone has a source let me know. Thanks, Ed
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #15
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwjoe View Post
Man, I hope they got my rear window awning done and shipped before they did yours???
My awning arrived about 2 months ago. They did say that they had enough material for 2 Zipdee chairs if I wanted them. That would be enough for a rear window awning. Keep your fingers crossed...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #16
Obsessed with Moonunit

Love It Here , Colorado
BigEd - as I mentioned in Post#2, I have a couple of upholstery warehouse (wholesale) places that I have been working with. I will dig up phone # and names if you think it will help. They may need pictures. Let me know.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Fabric Info

Leigh, I would be very interested in any info/contacts you might have. I will search any vendors if I can get the fabric I need to keep my awning looking original. It would have been nice to keep it all Carefree but apparently the Acrylic needs protection from UV but weather guard cannot be attached to it. Since Alumaguard won't work with curved arms the only other option would be to form some sort of cover from aluminum and roll the awning up under it. I don't think that would be keeping it to the original look. You can PM the info to me or send me a e-mail. Thanks so much. Ed
Old 07-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I don't know why it wouldn't work on your curved awning arms. It works on the curved arms of my 74 Sovereign and Airdog's 72. They never said anything about it not fitting when I talked to them. And Bill just got his new awning, Alumaguard and all, this summer. We both have Carefree's and the Alumaguard.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Bill, I have spoken at length with Carefree. They only have striped fabric in Acrylic and they only sell it with Alumaguard metal covers. They say that Alumaguard won't fit on curved arm awnings and I really don't want to completely replace my awning. Since the fabric is all I need I guess I will continue to search the differnt vendors until I find something I feel good about. I will keep on looking. If anyone has a source let me know. Thanks, Ed
Hi Ed, I have curved arms as well. I visited three RV shops that where listed as distributors. None of the first three knew a thing. Carefree does not make it easy to buy their products. I went to Richards RV in Reading Michigan (south central Michigan, Hillsdale County). Charlie told me to bring my trailer in and he would do the measuring and guarantee the fit. He did not cash my check until the awnings came in, correct. He told me if they did not fit he would buy them back. It is unusually to find this type of person to work with and I recommend him. When the awnings came in with horizontal stripes instead of vertical, he sent them back and made carefree fix them. The only things that I changed to make them fit was to raise the adjustment bolt (quarter inch bolt that the curve arm rests against when you lower it for storage) up two holes to allow clearance for the alumaguard and the stove vent. I also got a new end cap from Vintage Trailer Supply. I have included a couple of pictures. I hope this helps. good luck, bill
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00083.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	84381[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00082.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	84380  
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Dumb question but want to make sure I know what you are talking about . Alumagard is the metal that wraps around the awning when it is rolled up?
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote