Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I completely lost it today

Well I was so proud of myself I extended the awning all the way, cleaned up the arms and got some silicone on the length of them, and in the channel. We have an ongoing problem of the inside support arm moving out upon roll-up and catching the outer arm and hanging up so I had this weenie of an idea. I used the awning tool to pull the inner arm towards me while releasing the awning. Voila, I was smug...for about a second or two when I looked up and saw I lost the loop. Brad's not home yet, so I will be hitting him with the honey do please when he gets in, and look what I've done this time . If we get up there on each side and pull down and out on the arms will it unroll? I am hoping so. Also if anyone has any ideas about those arms hanging up we are ready to start trying a fix ourselves, as it has been looked at by JC and Zip Dee and they found no problem. However I can see those arms are not sitting plumb when retracted as the other side does. It definitely bends in at the point where the inner bar and the outer sleeve meet. I think some bracket to the Airstream must be off.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Here's my pictures before I cleaned them all up and made them all slithery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2787A.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	39281   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2784A.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	39282  

Name:	_MG_2783A.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	39283   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2782.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	39284  

photography
Old 06-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You should have no problem getting the awning rolled out with out the loop. I would suggest that you grab the arm at the top with one hand and roll the roller with the other. The loop should appear in no time.

As far as the awning not being straight. It should be easy to see if the arms are straight and the mounts should be mounted on a rib line. When it is rolled up do the heads line up with the clamps or do you have to push it one side? If you do it may not be centered in the awning rail correctly. You should have a couple of screws that lock it into the rail. Remove them to fine tune the centering. The bad news is: if you move it too far the travel lock may not line up correctly.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Richard. Ok we have the tab back...that's good. Now we will scope it out as you instructed. I am thinking about the awning hook mention...they just moved the hook on the other side because it did not line up at all. Everything is very mobile on that patio awning side probably because of the good smack it takes each time hanging up or perhaps it hangs up because it is so loose. We'll give adjustments a try. Thanks.

photography
Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

I've lost the loop too. When I read this, brought back memories!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I know how silly is that. Usually I hold on fine but I was being "creative" Putting 303 on the window gaskets and washing the windows. Worked nicely on the Fantastic Vents which were sticking closed. It's HOT out in the sun, sure wish I had an enclosure but I am happy to have it near. I know I read somewhere, was it Minnies Mate changed out the screws in the window wells, yikes they are sharp and I am stopping at getting the bugs out for now but it would be nice to get all the overspray adhesive off some cooler day. Anyone else feel like a new AS is a DIY kit?

photography
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The owner's manual suggests that you roll the tab at an angle so that it doesn't make a hump in the center of the roll when you close the big awning.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Next time I shall try angling. I remember Zip Dee telling me that! Although the other AS awnings posed no problem to me and I am rather a creature of habit with routine chores. It's rolled up now and I held onto the tab and tied a string to the arm and pulled it towards me this time when I let the awning go up. Inglorious but just this woman's way to bide time before the men can fix it.

photography
Old 06-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
arm hanging up

I have the same problem with the front arm on my Safari. To keep it clear I put a thin strap from my raft around the part that hangs up and it makes a nice loop that is long enough to hang on to (and pull away from the other arm) whilst rolling the awning up. The strap is a flat nylon so it clears the arms easily. Photo tomorrow if you'd like.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I would LOVE a picture tomorrow, if it isn't too much trouble. Meantime maybe one of the vendors who installs awnings, do you Lew? has the reason our awnings are doing that. Thank you wasafari. Did you have some flat nylon on hand or did you purchase it at a store, something like a webbed bag strap is it?

photography
Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 AM   #11
_

. , .
hi carol

roll/retract the awning with the loop angling/spiraling north or south on the roll.

tug gently while doing this.

the tension will 'move' the entire unit in the direction you tug...

one direction will make it better and the other worse...

it will be obvious which way is best as the awning arms will line up perfectly!

usually the best direction is toward the door or in your case toward the front end...

don't sweat losing the loop, i'm not sure you weigh enough to slow it down anyway!

i have visions of you being rolled up IN the awning with only your pj toes exposed...

i love lucy style!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
BINGO! (maybe) I always stand towards the front rolling up the awning. If I recall properly the techs at Zip Dee stood towards the rear and it rolled up for them, perhaps perhaps. At least it is worth a try. Thanks.

Being rolled in the awning! OH NO! With only my PJ toes exposed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	I-Love-Lucy-Poster-Card-C10204698.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	39350  

photography
Old 06-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #13
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
If that works, go for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rv_maint_curvedcontouredawningoperation2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	39351  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
I am definitely going to have the adjustments looked at, typically I let Brad do that so it may not be right away or perhaps I will get to it after the rally. I also have to let it go before 6 inches of fabric, since AS adjusted it the shield will just billow up unrolled and I think it hit the trailer, I dunno exactly but it didn't look good, tried a few times afraid to release it then so pulled it back farther out and let it snap from there. I didn't have these problems with the other Zip Dees and it is nerve racking now to do my awning rather than something I formerly enjoyed.

photography