Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
How long, is too long ?

Hi all,

Our "66" Ambassador has the original Carefree awning. The blue vinyl was shot so we took the trailer to an RV repair place that is a "Carefree" dealer. All we need is new vinyl, the mechanisms all works perfect as the P.O. rarely used the awning. The RV shop said, "the vinyl is a week out and is in Portland, (we live in WA). Once we have the vinyl, it will only take a couple of hours to install." Quoted price is $400-$500.

TODAY IS ONE MONTH AND NO VINYL !!! I've called (3) times and the story is, "they are behind on production, it will be here on Tuesday...Thursday...Monday," and on and on !

Am I being impatient ? I'm just about ready to go get my trailer and start with someone else !

Thanks,
Danny
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If they haven't removed the old awning fabric, then yes. Go get your trailer. If they have to wait for the petroleum to be refined so they can make the vinyl, you can wait for it just as well with the trailer in your possession as you can with it in their possession. It's not like they were waiting on an axle or something that would prevent the trailer's use.

If the old awning fabric has been removed, then a bunch of cable ties along with the normal latching mechanism should keep all of the parts moving in proper formation with the rest of your trailer while you tow it.

Up to you if you want to cancel the order and try elsewhere, or keep the back-order and use the trailer until the fabric arrives, then take the trailer back to complete the install.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Not vinyl, but I got new fabric cut and sewn to exact fit for out slide out awning from Zip Dee delivered to our door in less than a week. It's Sunbrella fabric, really much better than vinyl.

Maybe you should take some measurements and call them?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I bought a vinyl awning for my 66 on EBAY for 30 bucks, put it on myself
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I'm an interior designer and while I rarely do motorhome renos, I have done a few in the past. I've seen lead times (the time it takes from order to delivery) for fabric run as much as 3 months. But that was a custom order. Nothing stock should take that long. If you can cancel the order and take your rig somewhere else I recommend it. On the other hand you're now in a great position to demand a discount from the current dealer. I'd go that route if you have the time to wait it out.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
This time of year, RV repair shops R busy. Shop has Ur RV. Most owners don't want to go get it & go somewhere else. They know that. May not "have had time" to order vinyl yet. U may not get that awning fixed this year, or until shop "gets the time". PS: all shops R like this.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
It's funny on me, I guess, but I originally thought this. thread was going to be about "what is the right trailer length or can U have a trailer that is too long?".
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
If they told you it would be in in a week, any longer than a week is too long!

I've been really beat down recently by bad customer service. It's all about managing expectations. If a vendor says it will take a week it should take a week. If it's going to take a month, then they should tell you it will take a month. I can be reasonable and give some leeway but telling a customer it will be in in a week when it will take a month is totally unacceptable.

Customers need to start talking with their dollars! don't put up with poor service!

rant over
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
It's funny on me, I guess, but I originally thought this. thread was going to be about "what is the right trailer length or can U have a trailer that is too long?".
Let's Roll !
Wolf
We have a 23' Safari
Anything longer than 23' is too long because that means I'm in the wrong trailer
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The last awning material we ordered had a 10 day lead time for sewing and adding the alumaguard cover. We received it from the supplier in just under two weeks. We ordered ours from a marine awning maker and did the install ourselves.

This is busy season for RV dealers and sometime things lose priority. Not saying that your dealer is feathering your gas pedal, but this is something you can do yourself with the help of a friend and a six pack of your favorite libations.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Thanks for all your comments. In my business, If I have given a customer a finish date and for reasons unforeseen or Murphy's law arises, I contact my customer as soon as I see I'm going to be a tad late ! I'm talking maybe a week MAX, usually a day or two ! I do not make false excuses that are basically lies ! I prided myself on being on time. I try my best to finish a project early and normally do. In my business, deadlines are discrete !

I have decided to SHOW UP this coming Friday at the shop when they open the doors. If they can't show me the vinyl, I'm bringing my trailer home, contacting upholstery shops to have it made and installing it myself ! If they have my vinyl, then it's "lets make a deal" time or they will be looking at the ass end of a classic Airstream pulling away !

We have camping deadlines that we will not miss !

Regards,
Danny
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote