Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Faulkner awning help.

Hello support group. I recently (4mo) purchased a 1975 25' Tradewind that came equipped with a Faulkner awning that has a broken end cap on the roller tube and a broken spring. I learned through my search that Faulkner is no longer around and I am out of luck. Does anyone know where I might find parts that would work for this awning? Maybe I can modify. Everything else is fine. Hopefully the pictures attached will help. Thanks in advance for any input.

bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken end cap.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	9969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Spring.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	9970  

Crazyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Faulkner awning help.

Greetings Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyland
Hello support group. I recently (4mo) purchased a 1975 25' Tradewind that came equipped with a Faulkner awning that has a broken end cap on the roller tube and a broken spring. I learned through my search that Faulkner is no longer around and I am out of luck. Does anyone know where I might find parts that would work for this awning? Maybe I can modify. Everything else is fine. Hopefully the pictures attached will help. Thanks in advance for any input.

bob
I suspect that you may experience what I did with my '64 Overlander with its original A & E Travel Awn 5000. Even with roller tube parts available, it was a loosing proposition to keep up with the inevitable worn and broken parts. I finally gave up on the original awning after three years and close to 80% of the cost of a new Zip Dee awning invested in a still constantly broken obsolete awning.

Your photos suggest that the roller tube is very comparable to that found on the A & E Travel Awn 5000. While it might be possible to adapt a properly sized A & E roller-tube to your Faulkner awning arms, my concern would be safety of the modifications due the potential for unexpected problems with the spring-loaded mechanism if the mounting is other than the original factory design.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #3

casa grande , Arizona
Did you have any luck repairing this awning? I have the same problem. Thanks for any info.
ryde2rope is offline   Reply With Quote