Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Fasteners for awning

I need to know what you guys use on the 4 hole bracket for the awnings that fasten to the trailer. I can use 2 screws on the rib but where it was fastened to the skin the rivits have pulled out and left a bigger hole. Is there some kind of anchor that could be put in and spread out in the back of the hole so a screw won't pull through.

Steve
slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Me Too

I see you didn't get a reply to your question. Did you come up with a solution? I just bought a '70 Safari and found the same problem.
Any one out there have a suggestion!!
Brian
wander'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
slk
2 Rivet Member

Elk River , Minnesota
Yes I did find a solution. It was what I was looking for before. It is called a "Nut Sert" tool. Sort of like a pop rivit gun but it puts in a machine thread rivit so all you have to do is use a machine screw 10-32 or 10-24, or 1/4-20

I bought mine localy but here is a site just to give you an idea of what the tool and nut serts look like

ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners

Steve
slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
1982 31' Excella
Milwaukie , Oregon
Thanks Steve.
I actually have used these in a van, mounting shelves. I didn't know if I could find this in Stainless Steel though. The hole I have is more of a small tear. What I found is a rubber plug whith a threaded insert. When you thread in a bolt it bulbs out plugging the hole and securing the bracket. I will look for the Nut Sert's though in Stainles. I'm sure I can find a use for them somewhere else.
Thanks again
Brian
wander'n is offline   Reply With Quote