Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Looking for our next proj

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
EZ-AWNS is there a trick?

Among other things we know is wrong with our 1970 Globetrotter is that she has an EZ-Awn that doesnt seem to have any catch or mechanism to keepmit open once its unrolled. Is there a trick or is this a missing part we need to have fabricated? The canvas is in great shape so I really dont want to replace the whole thing.
laragc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Not familiar with EZ-Awn, but you can fake it by getting a tiedown strap for each end, and a couple of decent-sized tent pegs (screw-in type preferred). Tie it down a few feet in front of the end of the awning so the tiedowns angle outward. With the awning open, and tied down, it shouldn't try to retract itself.

Won't help much on a paved campsite, but otherwise, that's as good a temporary fix as any until you can find out what's really wrong with it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
Do you have a picture of your awning? I've got a 71 Tradewind and can't figure out the manufacturer of my awning. I am pretty confident it is not a Zip Dee but have never heard of EZ-Awn.
jbwillingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by laragc View Post
Among other things we know is wrong with our 1970 Globetrotter is that she has an EZ-Awn that doesnt seem to have any catch or mechanism to keepmit open once its unrolled. Is there a trick or is this a missing part we need to have fabricated? The canvas is in great shape so I really dont want to replace the whole thing.
E Z Awn is out of business, for many years.

All you can do is improvise.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwillingham View Post
Do you have a picture of your awning? I've got a 71 Tradewind and can't figure out the manufacturer of my awning. I am pretty confident it is not a Zip Dee but have never heard of EZ-Awn.
The EZ Awn was sold through the Byam Store. I have photos of the one on our '63, but the newer EZ Awns were slightly different. A photo of yours would help confirm or deny whether that is what you have.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
awning type?

Here is the only photo I have of my awning available right now. I can get another one in the next few days but the AS is at the shop getting a new belly.

Anyone have any idea what the manufacturer is on this awning? It looks like a Carefree or A&E but I don't see any markings.

I don't really want to purchase a whole new set-up because the new awning would likely mount to the AS differently and I don't want to remove the existing brackets thereby exposing the rivet/screw holes. I bought the AS with the knowledge that the awning fabric was gone. I assume the awning mechanism is still in working order.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
Looking for our next proj

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Its marked clearly as an EZ Awn so no question what it is. We improvised with hose clamps and it works luke a charm! Thanks everyone.
laragc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
OAKLAND , California
It looks like my awning. i haven't been able to open it. Any suggestions. Thanks. LiviaC
LIVIA C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Richardson , TX
Upon further inspection, I have an EZ Awn. Now it's time to find replacement fabric. Any suggestions?

And just out of curiosity, why do all the replacement awnings for sale on the internet have horizontal stripes? I don't see many with vertical stripes.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwillingham View Post
Upon further inspection, I have an EZ Awn. Now it's time to find replacement fabric. Any suggestions?

And just out of curiosity, why do all the replacement awnings for sale on the internet have horizontal stripes? I don't see many with vertical stripes.
The vertical striped awning material has been discontinued by the manufacturers. The new horizontal striped or solid colored materials are all that is available now. How wide is your awning? You measure from center of the awning arm to the center of the other awning arm. I have some access to two Carefree rollers that have original vertical striped material that although it is 40+ years old it is still new. I think the roller tubes are the same between Carefree and EZAwn. The two rollers I have are for a 14' and 15' awning set-up. Any questions you can call me @309-558-8177. I am in Illinois. The 14' foot has gold and white vertical stripes. The 15' has is a Carefree Demonstrator Awning that has red, blue, green, gold, red and blue stripes with white. It is very colorful and I'm sure would work out on any trailer. Both canvas materials are in "like new" condition as the were never installed or displayed and are new/old stock that just sat on the shelf of a local camper sales lot for years. I recently found them with the son of the original owner. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote