Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

huntsville , Alabama
EZ Awn Awing

hoping someone can help with some knowledge on torsion springs. Replacement spring vendor would be even better. My Overlander had a ez awn awning when I purchased it and my refurb has reached the point of the awning. Disassembled roller to discover that both springs are broken. I have searched the web to find that ez awn is no longer in business. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Looked into ordering from a spring vendor but ordering a torsion spring proved to be more than I bargained for.
harcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hi harcon,

If the OEM parts are no longer available and NOS is depleted then you have three basic choices to address your broken spring assembly issue:

1. Find a "Donor" awning to cannibalize parts from. This is easy with commonly used brands, and harder with less popular brands. Also, if yours are broken, then it is likely that donor unit springs may be broken, or worn out.

2. If you're very handy, adapt currently available spring assemblies to fit your awning. I've done this with slightly used AE spring assemblies in an old Carefree awning on our 76. It involved some machining in my case, but the end result worked well. You are better off buying the spring assembly rather than trying to find an individual spring, and you'll need left hand and right hand assemblies.

A word of caution inserted here. Torsion Springs can be very dangerous, as such I would discourage anyone from working with awning springs unless you are experienced (properly trained) or have a good mentor.

3. Buy a new awning.

Take some photos and measurements then post them here and maybe we can help you further.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post

A word of caution inserted here. Torsion Springs can be very dangerous, as such I would discourage anyone from working with awning springs
See my thread "Airstream Owies"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ies-51182.html
I would get a Zipdee. They look vintage and you can get parts.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hummelstown , Pennsylvania
Smile EZ AWN has a Weathershield

Our 72 Overlander came with a rotted awning and it also has the aluminum Weathershield (cover) to roll the new awning into, but how the heck does that weathershield stay closed once the awning and roller in it? It's a mystery.

Thanks!
lassielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
If you elect to go with Carefree parts, they used to have a completely manual system available. No springs to break, positive locking when closed. I put the kit on a trailer about a dozen years ago and it served really well.

A call to them might be in order.

Hope that helps.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote