Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #29
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Our first AS had only the large patio awning. Camping in Missouri in late July it was very, very hot and I wished we had awnings for the other windows. That was an '85 Excella and it had blue/white striped material. Very nice. This current AS is an '01 Excella and has awnings on both sides and rear, solid blue material. I liked the stripes better but the solid is fine. Haven't been out in any heat like that earlier trip but I'm sure it will be somewhat more comfortable with awnings than without.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Full awnings and solar will make your new airstream a much more usable and pleasant trailer. And when buying as a new option, the price is negotiable.

The awnings make your Airstream feel and look cooler. They also help the fridge stay cooler. The solar lets you stop anywhere without a generator, using your propane system as primary energy source.

A maintenance note: Airstream is using foam gaskets to mount the awning support poles, as well as many fittings on the Airstream. They are inadequate, can allow minor leaks inside the walls, which can rot the wood subfloor. Mask off a border around them and apply a good RV sealant over the gaskets.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
We have full length window awning on the street side and rear window awning.
they do provide shade. I like them.
On our other trailer that needs restoring I am not sure if I would go to the expense to get them for the windows. it is an 1960 overlander. in the old days they snaped a canvas cover on the top of the window. then when you opened the window you had an awning. I still have two original covers. anyone else seen this?

garthbf is offline   Reply With Quote