Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fort McMurray , Canada
darker awning color???

Does anyone have a darker awning color such as a dark charcoal? We are looking to order new ones for our 89 Limited whose awnings are currently a black/tan/beige stripe. I don't mind them, but I am going to update the side stripes on the trailer which are the faux woodgrain to something a bit more modern looking such as shade of dark charcoal/black. Does anyone else have this color concept? Any enlightenment with regards to the appearance of fading or wear on the solid awnings versus striped? Also someone posted a link whereby you can purchase directly from Sunbrella for $15/yard for fabric. Does this come as essentially raw material that has to be sewn on the edges, etc....???
a-wanabbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I don't have the color scheme you are asking about...but I do know of the website. It's Sewing Notions, Flagcloth, Upholstery Supplies, Drapery Grommets, Sunbrella and I have ordered from them, great fabric, quick shipping and no problems.

It is just the fabric, it either needs to be hemmed or trimmed somehow, once it's cut - it will ravel. I used a trim that matched my awning...a knit nylon binding strip.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Ou 2005 Safari 25FB came from the factory with a dark charcoal colored awning.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Lizzy
Does anyone have a darker awning color such as a dark charcoal? We are looking to order new ones for our 89 Limited whose awnings are currently a black/tan/beige stripe. I don't mind them, but I am going to update the side stripes on the trailer which are the faux woodgrain to something a bit more modern looking such as shade of dark charcoal/black. Does anyone else have this color concept? Any enlightenment with regards to the appearance of fading or wear on the solid awnings versus striped? Also someone posted a link whereby you can purchase directly from Sunbrella for $15/yard for fabric. Does this come as essentially raw material that has to be sewn on the edges, etc....???
TL,

Most newer Airstreams come in a charcoal grey fabric. Sunbrella WILL ravel if it is not:

1: cut with a very expensive ultrasinic cutting machine like the major awning companies use (I've visited the factories and seen these)

2: cut with a 'hot knife' to seal the edges while the cutting process takes place.

The process is then completed with usually sewing a double stitched fold-over seam to complete the process.

Hope this helps!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Acrylic

Lew is quite correct - Sunbrella will ravel unless cut with a hotknife. I've done a lot of projects & invested in an Engel hot knife. It has a great feel to it & a light atop the blade so that you can really see what you are doing.

A couple of sources for Sunbrella and 9.5 oz acrylic fabric (Glen Raven manufactures Sunbrella, as well as Dickson acrylic - I've used both over the years and from a functional & assembly prespective, they are the same)

1) Upholstery Supply & Marine Fabric Superstore - they sell Coastguard solution dyed acrylic, made by Glen Raven, as well as the Engel hot knifes.

2) OutsideFabric.com - Outdoor Fadeproof Fabrics & Cushions - Sunbrella Patio Funiture Cushions - Home - great prices on first quality Sunbrella

3) Welcome To AquaLine Vinyl Sales - also sell Dickson by Glen Raven and they are located in Surrey BC - they like to sell larger "project" quantities & will give better prices if to a business.

If you do decide to stitch your own awning, remember to use a thread that is rated for outdoor usage & weight for the acrylic - the appropiate thread for this application is weight rated V69 or V92 and is treated to resist UV. (regular dressmakers or even upholstery thread WILL ROT after a season or two of exposure to UV!)

(FYI, I've found that the same V69 thread in white will last longer than V69 black thread)

(hmmm . . . this thread could turn into a thread about threads . . . . )
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Halifax , Nova Scotia, CANADA
Our's has a charcoal colored awning, but haven't had it long enough to know if it fades.It looks quite nice-a bit of a change from the more convential colors.

2006 Safari SE 28W/LS,
2006 Silverado 2500HD/LT EC SB 4x4 Duramax/Allison,
Hensley Arrow , Honda EU2000i (propane),
160W Solar, 400W sinewave inverter,
3-stage smart charger, Xantrex battery monitor,
Sirius satelite radio
jzelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Wow, this thread has answered a lot of questions I had about buying Sumbrella, and building a new awning.

We too got rid of the dated traditional blue trim and replaced it with reds and dark greys. Note even the hub caps coordinate.

Our old original blue awning just dosen't work. Will definatly be looking into upgrading with a new custom awning. I see lots of colour options at one of the sites provided. I'm thinking Black Cherry or alpine Beige.... Any Designer types out there than can give some advice????

http://www.outsidefabric.com/index.p...id=28&Itemid=1