Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
Curved Carefree awning parts pieces anyone?

HI-
I've removed the carefree awning from my 1960 Airstream Safari. I have no idea when the Carefree awning was installed. I hope to re-use it, but I'm finding that I don't have enough working parts to make that happen, unless I can find some here.

The Roller and springs are in good shape, however the 90 degree arms that connect to the support arms are rusted.

The support arms are in pretty good shape, but the quick adjust bolts are in rough shape.

I believe the mounting brackets are all accounted for.

If you have some carefree parts or need some carefree parts, lets see what we can do.

I can take photos if needed.

Thanks again.
teilhet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
For what it's worth the "90 degree arms that connect to the support arms" should be aluminum that doesn't rust. Your profile also doesn't have your location. You may get more responses if you give a general area where the parts are located. I do have an all original carefree and would be happy to send pictures of any part you feel is missing. The curved arms and the roller assembly are the hard parts to find. The carefree awning is tough as nails and I would suggest repairing what you have verses "upgrading" to an inferior awning setup. Have seen my awning support 8 inches of wet Alabama snow, and I don't retract my awning until the winds top 20mph.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
Ah...thanks, I've added some details to my profile...
I'm in Northeast Tennessee. The awning itself is already trashed, I've removed it and thrown away the scraps. I'm most concerned about the bolt holes left in the trailer. The upper bracket holes are right at the junction of three panels, which seems like a tricky place to patch. I guess I could just put some stainless short bolts in.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
The fabric is portion is real easy and cheap to replace with vinyl. The last vinyl portion for my Argosy cost less than 100.00 on ebay. The blue airstream cloth fabric may cost considerably more, but you could always pick the proper blue color in vinyl. I have replaced my vinyl portion twice in the last 17 years, right when I got the trailer then again about two years ago. If you plan on putting on an awning back on your trailer I would suggest you search the forum for the term "broken awning". It is pretty eye opening to see the struggles and failures zip dee awning owners are having. Just aren't many bent arm awning systems out there, and in my opinion you have the best there is.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
I hope I'm wrong....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teilhet View Post
Ah...thanks, I've added some details to my profile...
I'm in Northeast Tennessee. The awning itself is already trashed, I've removed it and thrown away the scraps. I'm most concerned about the bolt holes left in the trailer. The upper bracket holes are right at the junction of three panels, which seems like a tricky place to patch. I guess I could just put some stainless short bolts in.
I really hope you still have the parts you removed! There are many vintage owners that would love to pay you for those parts, as they are almost completely EXTINCT! Many here will tell you that the curved armed Carefree is the best awning that was/is installed on curved sided Airstream trailers! Far superior to Zip Dee in this application. If you can retrieve the parts list them on the Classified Section here on the Forums and I am sure you will not regret having made them available! Hope this helps, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
I really hope you still have the parts you removed! There are many vintage owners that would love to pay you for those parts, as they are almost completely EXTINCT! Many here will tell you that the curved armed Carefree is the best awning that was/is installed on curved sided Airstream trailers! Far superior to Zip Dee in this application. If you can retrieve the parts list them on the Classified Section here on the Forums and I am sure you will not regret having made them available! Hope this helps, Ed
I haven't thrown anything but the awning out.
I have both arms and large components, brackets to attach to trailer and the roller....I'll look into the classifieds. Thanks
Old 03-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Carefree has a very large prob. that no one has addressed, that is the lower brackets lag screw thru bottom rub rail into edge of floor, in time will rot at this point or pull out then have to drop curve piece and remove inside skin to beef up or cut hole in floor at bottom to beef up. Simple epoxy dowel in lag hole and inserting larger lag will not work as will promptly pullout. I have tried various ways to fix except major beef up, that is why I went to zipdee as they fasten into a rib, very solid. Other than this prob. with carefree bottom fastening is a good awning My son had to beef up inside to fix prob. now solid as a rock. This fix is not average diy job and I will not cut holes in AS to fix. Springs, roller and other parts are avble. new from carefree, sunsetter but curved arms no longer manf. only strait arms now.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
I have some carefree awning parts off a vintage airstream including arms
I'm south of Atlanta
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Columbus , Mississippi
Carefree Awning Parts needed

Hello all... I have been following your responses on the carefree awnings. I have a 1975 Argosy that I have been restoring for almost 2 years now. My rear spring on mine is broken...I'd love to get another...if anyone has one or knows of one, I would greatly appreciate it. I found that the carefree tube comes in 2 sizes...mine is a 3" in diameter. I'm in Columbus, Ms... have tool box, will travel. Thanks in advance for your attention.
Back40Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back40Rocker View Post
Hello all... I have been following your responses on the carefree awnings. I have a 1975 Argosy that I have been restoring for almost 2 years now. My rear spring on mine is broken...I'd love to get another...if anyone has one or knows of one, I would greatly appreciate it. I found that the carefree tube comes in 2 sizes...mine is a 3" in diameter. I'm in Columbus, Ms... have tool box, will travel. Thanks in advance for your attention.

Can you explain what the rear Spring is? I'm only familiar with mine, and I'm not sure it's complete.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
mckinney , Texas
Looking for used complete awning

I'm also looking for an awning complete with all hardware. I have a 1972 25' tradewind....but I'm willing to cut down a longer awning. I prefer the carefree curved awning style. I'm a DIY guy so let me know if you have anything close to what I've mentioned here. Located in DFW area TX.
2013 F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crew Cab 3.55
www.barndancedesign.com
bigbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Believe he is talking about the tension spring inside of the roller tube. There are two springs inside of the roller tube, one in the front and one in the back. If I were in his shoes I'd contact carefree for a new set of springs as I'm pretty sure they are still available. Taking the awning off is pretty easy, but not sure how my attitude would be if I had to do it twice because a used spring broke the second or third time I let the awning out. The older I get the more I dislike redoing what I could have done right the first time.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Columbus , Mississippi
Carefree awning parts

Hello again...There is a front spring (next to the front of trailer) and a rear spring ( near the back) and my rear one broke. I contacted Carefree of Colorado and they assured me that they had no parts for my older model awning.....in fact they suggested that I try to find a 'used' one .... or buy one of their current set ups. That's why I'm making my effort to do so with all of you. I'd appreciate some help if you can.....my email address is colejward@email.com... Thanks for your time...
Back40Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back40Rocker View Post
Hello again...There is a front spring (next to the front of trailer) and a rear spring ( near the back) and my rear one broke. I contacted Carefree of Colorado and they assured me that they had no parts for my older model awning.....in fact they suggested that I try to find a 'used' one .... or buy one of their current set ups. That's why I'm making my effort to do so with all of you. I'd appreciate some help if you can.....my email address is colejward@email.com... Thanks for your time...

Ah, I understand. Yes mine has two, front and rear. I need to decide if I want to search out parts or pass what I have on to someone else. I believe my springs are good, though the 90 degree posts which mount to the swing arms are rusted, and the top tube seems to have too much travel sliding back and forth.

I believe what I'm missing are the adjustment knobs and rollers that allow the extension to slide properly.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
I'll take some detail photos when I can.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Burlington , North Carolina
Carefree awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeard View Post
I'm also looking for an awning complete with all hardware. I have a 1972 25' tradewind....but I'm willing to cut down a longer awning. I prefer the carefree curved awning style. I'm a DIY guy so let me know if you have anything close to what I've mentioned here. Located in DFW area TX.
I just took off a 21 ft from a 71 excella 500. Needs a few little things but all hardware is there. I am in nc.
Scoobyct12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Hi all. Could anyone that has the Carefree awning help me out? I believe i have all the parts on mine. I just want to make sure that I'm setting it up correctly. I'm going off my memory here, but i think just under the curved portion of the arm there is a stopper of some sort. Do I just put the support arm tight under that and tighten the knob? I can't seem to figure out any other way that it would set up. The only issue that I'm having is that sometimes just tightening the knob does not keep it in place, like it's not tightening enough. But it's just a bolt pressing against smooth aluminum so I wouldn't expect that it would hold that tight. Thanks!
Brad H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
Hi all. Could anyone that has the Carefree awning help me out? I believe i have all the parts on mine. I just want to make sure that I'm setting it up correctly. I'm going off my memory here, but i think just under the curved portion of the arm there is a stopper of some sort. Do I just put the support arm tight under that and tighten the knob? I can't seem to figure out any other way that it would set up. The only issue that I'm having is that sometimes just tightening the knob does not keep it in place, like it's not tightening enough. But it's just a bolt pressing against smooth aluminum so I wouldn't expect that it would hold that tight. Thanks!
You are correct about the stop. I always hold down on the main arm then set the brace arm to the stop. This keeps a lot of bouncing at bay when the wind blows. The knob should tighten tight. Over the years I have drilled and tapped several new holes when the old holes lost their grip.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Thanks! Guess I was doing it right. Now my next question is if anyone knows where I can get the knob that tightens down. One of mine, the shaft is bent and seems to prevent it from tightening as much as I'd like. The local hardware store had some, but the threads don't match up.
Wish I could pull it out from the carport it's under to try it agian but I'm replacing all the weatherstrip right now on the windows. That's a job in itself! Haha.
Brad H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
carefree awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
Thanks! Guess I was doing it right. Now my next question is if anyone knows where I can get the knob that tightens down. One of mine, the shaft is bent and seems to prevent it from tightening as much as I'd like. The local hardware store had some, but the threads don't match up.
Wish I could pull it out from the carport it's under to try it agian but I'm replacing all the weatherstrip right now on the windows. That's a job in itself! Haha.
Brad, I got new knobs with threaded shafts to lock awning parts at my local Airstream dealer. If they carry them I am sure that places like OODM and other camping/RV stores also carry them. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote