Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Johnson City , Tennessee
I'll take some detail photos when I can.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #16

1971 31' Excella 500
Burlington , North Carolina
Carefree awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeard View Post
I'm also looking for an awning complete with all hardware. I have a 1972 25' tradewind....but I'm willing to cut down a longer awning. I prefer the carefree curved awning style. I'm a DIY guy so let me know if you have anything close to what I've mentioned here. Located in DFW area TX.
I just took off a 21 ft from a 71 excella 500. Needs a few little things but all hardware is there. I am in nc.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Hi all. Could anyone that has the Carefree awning help me out? I believe i have all the parts on mine. I just want to make sure that I'm setting it up correctly. I'm going off my memory here, but i think just under the curved portion of the arm there is a stopper of some sort. Do I just put the support arm tight under that and tighten the knob? I can't seem to figure out any other way that it would set up. The only issue that I'm having is that sometimes just tightening the knob does not keep it in place, like it's not tightening enough. But it's just a bolt pressing against smooth aluminum so I wouldn't expect that it would hold that tight. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
Hi all. Could anyone that has the Carefree awning help me out? I believe i have all the parts on mine. I just want to make sure that I'm setting it up correctly. I'm going off my memory here, but i think just under the curved portion of the arm there is a stopper of some sort. Do I just put the support arm tight under that and tighten the knob? I can't seem to figure out any other way that it would set up. The only issue that I'm having is that sometimes just tightening the knob does not keep it in place, like it's not tightening enough. But it's just a bolt pressing against smooth aluminum so I wouldn't expect that it would hold that tight. Thanks!
You are correct about the stop. I always hold down on the main arm then set the brace arm to the stop. This keeps a lot of bouncing at bay when the wind blows. The knob should tighten tight. Over the years I have drilled and tapped several new holes when the old holes lost their grip.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Thanks! Guess I was doing it right. Now my next question is if anyone knows where I can get the knob that tightens down. One of mine, the shaft is bent and seems to prevent it from tightening as much as I'd like. The local hardware store had some, but the threads don't match up.
Wish I could pull it out from the carport it's under to try it agian but I'm replacing all the weatherstrip right now on the windows. That's a job in itself! Haha.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
carefree awnings

Quote:
Thanks! Guess I was doing it right. Now my next question is if anyone knows where I can get the knob that tightens down. One of mine, the shaft is bent and seems to prevent it from tightening as much as I'd like. The local hardware store had some, but the threads don't match up.
Wish I could pull it out from the carport it's under to try it agian but I'm replacing all the weatherstrip right now on the windows. That's a job in itself! Haha.
Brad, I got new knobs with threaded shafts to lock awning parts at my local Airstream dealer. If they carry them I am sure that places like OODM and other camping/RV stores also carry them. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Quote:

Camping world also carries the knobs.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Thanks all. I'll try to look into it better when I get home from work but if anyone knows if these would work, it'll save me a little computer time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJ14CG..._xwn-yb6GD6PRS
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If memory is rite threads are 1/4 20 [unless prev. owner changed dia.] readily avble. many places or ebay. I use lots of them dif. lengths and size of nobs in wood working hold downs. Use anti seize on threads or lube often as they will rust in place and can break trying to get loose.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Knobs

Quote:
Thanks all. I'll try to look into it better when I get home from work but if anyone knows if these would work, it'll save me a little computer time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJ14CG..._xwn-yb6GD6PRS
Brad, I don't believe that those will work on your older Carefree awning. It appears that the threaded shaft would be too Short for the application on your rails. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I'm in need of springs or some type of replacement for a 70's Carefree. Mine is the larger tube that has the wound spring not the coil type they used later. Has anyone been able to retro fit a newer style coil to these old parts?

Damon
Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
springs for Carefree awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
I'm in need of springs or some type of replacement for a 70's Carefree. Mine is the larger tube that has the wound spring not the coil type they used later. Has anyone been able to retro fit a newer style coil to these old parts?

Damon
Damon, I think you can still buy the older style springs from Carefree of Colorado. It doesn't matter the width of the awning tube as the springs are all the same length if memory serves. Give them a call The sales people there are very helpful. I just wish they still made curved arm awnings for all the folks that now are buying up all the old trailers and looking for the best quality awnings to fit the curved sided coaches. Hope this helps, Ed
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I have called Carefree, they where not helpful and just said 'we don't have anything for the old awnings' and offered no other solution. So I'm assuming finding used it going to be my only option. I'm willing to call them again but I don't think they know much about the pre 80's awning systems.

Damon
Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I pur. springs complete w/end caps from carefree dealer. The dif. is the part that slips into top end of arm now goes over the end of arm. This same set up as sunsetter awnings and I believe they are now same co. with carefree