Old 08-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Ok, but how much is that? I literally have no clue what to expect to pay for a new awning.
While I'd like to tell you, the last time I posted a price on here the post was deleted by the mods. I am also not allowed to tell you where I work, but you can look for the Airstream dealer in the same city listed in my profile, and call them. I may even answer the phone.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Gotcha. Thanks very much and I'll give you a call on Monday.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
Just replaced the fabric on my 1975 Carefree Awning. The rear bearing and cap were
all chewed up, after removing the rear end plug, took the cap off, hammered it straight,
however no way to get it on the spring side of the roller. So, took a large steel washer,
drilled it to shaft size, notched it to fit in awning roller, then put the steel cap back on, this gave me about 1/4 clearance to the arms..but is seems to work ok. Not much bearing surface however. Hope to get a few more years out of it
Old 08-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Hi Scott.
Any news about your awning?
2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Well I found out how much a replacement awning is, so that's a start I suppose. I never got around to looking at mine last weekend because I had other problems to deal with. I really would hate to drop $1300 on a new awning when I could get by with $500 or so.

Ok, so THIS WEEKEND I'll drop it down and see what's what. Do you still have the support brackets for me?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
A good friend just had new fabric made for the Carefree on his 67 Overlander. After much searching he located a vinyl fabric with the original vertical strips rather than the horizontal type that is common now. It was not cheap, but his hardward was in good shape. I am going to do the same for my 68.
Caution: with no fabric on the roller, the whole thing will fall when you release it. Have a friend on the other end and gently lay both arms down so it doesn't get damaged or so someone doe not get hurt.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Thanks, yeah, it's got fabric, but it's completely torn all the way across so it IS a two person job. I'm not sure if the springs are ok in it or anything, I just know that MOST of that parts are present and it seems to me that the ones that aren't, could be manufactured cheaply. I just haven't had time or the energy to lay it down and see what's going on with it.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Thanks, yeah, it's got fabric, but it's completely torn all the way across so it IS a two person job. I'm not sure if the springs are ok in it or anything, I just know that MOST of that parts are present and it seems to me that the ones that aren't, could be manufactured cheaply. I just haven't had time or the energy to lay it down and see what's going on with it.
Scott, if you need a hand with handling the awning feel free to let me know or give me a call, I'm around this weekend. My awning fabric was torn across the top the way yours was. Once you finish the tear across the top, you'll need one person on each of the tube to lay it down slowly and maintain tension and slowly unroll it. Doesn't take long. I also have two pieces of hardware for you.

Justin
Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Justin, thanks so much for stopping by today and checking out the situation. For everyone else's benefit, I'm now (thanks to Justin) only missing one piece of hardware to complete this project. Well, that piece and new vinyl, but I'm much happier to buy that as opposed to fitting an entirely new awning.

I appreciate everyone's input and assistance with this one.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Hi scott.
Any pics for the progress? BTW what hardware do you need?
Regards
Gus
Old 08-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Hi Gus, I don't really have any pics of the progress, per se, because all that's changed is Justin gave me the support arms, and mounts for the awning. This is the piece I'm missing.

We laid the awning down and inspected everything. It all appears to be in good shape and the retracting springs seem to be doing their job. My next task will be to find some fabric and a valance. I feel like I'm getting close now!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
let me double check if we have something like that..
Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Well, I didn't want to post this and own up to it, but I suppose I should, as a caution for others.

Yesterday, when I took the trailer back to it's storage space, it was pouring down rain. In my haste and concern for not getting soaked, I forgot to bungee my awning back to the top of the trailer. As I pulled out of the driveway, the awning came crashing down onto the street beneath, cracking both end caps and breaking the internal spring.

It's an expensive lesson that I'll only have to learn once, but for now, I'll be looking at a new Dometic awning... sigh.

Justin, if there's any part that's salvageable, you're welcome to it. The arms are still fine, and obviously you can have the parts you gave me back.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
hi jim where did you get your fabric for your carefree awning? i have same awning...
thx rick