Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
Carefree Awning assembly?

I have a Carefree Awning that goes with our 1973 Tradewind. I believe it should look like this.
http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...?i=15111&c=504
The problem is that it is in pieces. I have the straight (smaller square) bars that are fastened to the trailer, but the wider curved bars are off along with the roller and awning. I have no idea how they go together, or even if it is complete. I suspect that at the least I am missing some pins, or bolts. Where can I find assembly instructions and/or parts diagram for awning bars of this age? Or does someone have pictures of the bars assembled with enough detail for me to see how to put mine together.
Even if I knew how this awning goes up, I might be able to figure how to assemble it. we have an SOB with an A&E awning, but looking at the pieces of the carefee, it doesn't look to operate the same.
I don't know anyone else with an airstream, let alone one with awning bars like ours, to just go and look.

I have just started the restore, so am obviously a long way from needing the awning but it has been bugging me.

Thanks

Loris
Old 10-04-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There are several pieces on each end. There is the main arm, in two pieces. One piece slides up and down outside the lower piece, and has a release lever to allow the arm to move up and down/in and out. There is the brace for this, which looks like the part that's still on your trailer. It will slide up and lock into place near the roller tube. There is the tube, with flip release lever, which goes toward the front of the trailer. There are two caps on the tube, one with a heavy spring on it, toward the front. There are pivots latches along the rub rail, where the main awning arms pivot. Some are spring-loaded latches, which allow you to unlatch them and place the arms on the ground, keeping you from conking your head on the arms. There is also the swivel for the brace, which would be near the awning rail.
With the exception of the curved main arms, all the parts should be available from Care Free.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I might have some of the brackets that attach to the coach. Send me a PM
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
I'll post some pics of what I do have. My biggest question is "how does it all go together?" I suspect I have it all, but it isn't obvious to me how to assemble it.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Here is some factory literature. We have Carefree Awnings on both rigs. Let me know if you need specific information.

I you need them in PDF let me know.

Regards,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carefreeawning1.jpg
Views:	1781
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	88171   Click image for larger version

Name:	carefreeawning2.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	88172  

Name:	carefreeawning3.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	88173   Click image for larger version

Name:	carefreeawning4.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	88174  

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
Kevin245, that's perfect! Exactly what I was looking for.

You guys rock!

Thanks
Loris
Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Loris,

Received your PM. Will post pdf copies here Monday. PM me with an email address if you want them emailed to you.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
Thanks, Kevin ... email address on the way.
I took a quick look at my hardware before I left for work tonight, and I either have a different model, or there are some pieces missing. Once I get a chance print the images and to really check it out with the gear, I will know better.

Loris
Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 AM   #9

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Loris,

I emailed the pdf copy to you. When you get the pieces sorted out give me a shout if I can help.

Regards,

Kevin

PS Here's the pdf should anyone else need it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree.pdf (546.6 KB, 1086 views)

William C. Swinney

Old 11-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Carefree awning

Wow, Thanks Kevin for the Carefree pdf. I've been trying for some time to figure out how the arms lock in position. Now I know I'm missing some knobs and pins. Finding the parts is the next challenge.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
SPOTSYLVANIA , Virginia
fabric eplacement

Can anyone tell me how to replace fabric on the awning in this PDF?
vcu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcu70 View Post
Can anyone tell me how to replace fabric on the awning in this PDF?
Fabric replacement is not too difficult as long as you have a good understanding of the hazards associated with working with torsion springs. If you're at all hesitant I would recommend seeking the help someone with experience or take it to a dealer. On the scale of "Rivet" difficulty I'd rate this as a rating of "3 Rivets" on the scale of 5.

Just remember that stored energy in torsion spring can be very very dangerous if not handled properly. Please be careful.

Here's my way of tackling this.

If your fabric is still installed and the awning is functional you'll need to release the energy from both torsion springs. This can be done two ways, both of which require the assistance of a couple of friends.. Come to think of it you'll need the help of friends for most of this project.

Step A. Release Torsion Spring Energy

Method 1. You can lower the awning and cut the fabric. This will allow the roll tube to unwind and relieve the spring tension. You will need to control the spinning of the roll tube when the fabric is cut. I do this by tying a 1/4" rope on the cap nubs and letting the tube gradually unwind. The benefits of this method are:

a. The work can be done from the ground instead of off a ladder.

b, You're away from the trailer so there is less chance of skin damage.

c. The energy release is easier to control.

d. You can count the number of rope wraps around the awning tube so you'll have an idea of how many spring turns will be required when you reinstall the awning.

Method 2. You can reverse the steps shown in figure 4 of the pdf file. The key is to control the top plug when it is pulled from the arm. If you look at the spring rod extending from the top plug you should see two flats that can be gripped with a wrench and held when the plug is removed from the arm. You can also use vise grips grip part of the plug as comes out of the arm.

My issue with this method is that sometimes the top plugs need some persuasion to release from the arms and it is easy to loose your grip on the wrench. This can result in trailer damage or personal injury and you're working from a ladder.

I've always used method 1.

Step B. Remove Old Fabric

Once the spring tension is released unscrew the plastic end caps and remove the spring assemblies. Take to note where they came from as the front and rears differ. If you can't get the screws out then use a hacksaw to cut the heads off then you can grip the screw shaft with a pair of vise grips after the springs are removed. After the springs are out you simply slide the fabric and spline out of the roll tube end.

Next you'll need to remove the fabric from the awning rail (on the trailer). It is important to leave a 6 to 8 inch flap of awning material in place so you'll have something to grab while you're pulling the material from the rail. There should be 2 or 3 screws in the top of the rail that prevent the awning fabric from sliding in the groove. They need to be removed as do the awning stowage clips located on each end of the awning rail. Now look at the end of the awning rail to see if the groove ends are crimped, or flared. If they are crimped you may need to flare them slightly to make removal and re-installation easier. They can be flared with a flat tipped screwdriver. Flaring will really help out when the new fabric is being installed.

There's usually a buildup of crud in the rail groove. A couple of silicon spray squirts will go a long way to making the task easier. Next comes the tugging. It will help to have one person on each end tugging in unison to get the material and spline removed.

Step C. Maintenance

Now is a great time to check the rail rivets to make sure things are tight and sealed. I'd also clean the springs, replace the old plastic end caps, and replace rusty bolts and such with stainless steel. Clean the awning rail and roller tube grooves.

Step D. Re-Installation

Slide the new fabric into the awning rail first. I usually file the leading edges of the rail groove to prevent the fabric from tearing on any sharp edge as its being pulled in. A little lubrication will also help.

Slide the fabric into the roller tube groove.

Install the top plugs into the arms (no tension on the springs yet). Now with the fabric unrolled and the awning extended try to align things up so the fabric will roll up straight on to the roll tube. Just eyeball things at this point.

If you're satisfied with the alignment you can begin tightening the springs. I do this with the arms extended so I can stand on the ground. This requires some additional turns of the springs but its much more stable and safer for me. I use two wrenches to tighten the torsion springs to the desired number of rotations. One wrench goes on the flat and the other grips the end plug. It is very important to go slow and maintain control of the wrenches. Don't let anyone stand in the spin plane just in case a wrench slips and things go flying. Once the rotations are complete slide the plug into the arm and secure it. Move to the opposite and repeat.

Now try rolling up the awning and see if the spring tension is correct and adjust accordingly. Also check the fabric for alignment. You may need to slide the fabric in the rail to align things. Once this is complete, replace the rail screws to lock the fabric in to the rail and re-install the stowage clips on each rail end. Use sealant where penetrations are made.

Now pull up the lawn chairs, break out a few cold ones and admire your handy work.

I know this is a long post so feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance. I attached some photos of the flats, nubs and the awning stowage brackets.

Best of luck,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flats.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	100378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Stowage Clip.JPG
Views:	774
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	100379  

William C. Swinney

Old 04-16-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
carefree awning Arms

Do you know where I can get parts for a vintage Carefree? Need the end hooks or the arm section with hooks (x2)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0921_2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	100405  
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
ALGOMA , Wisconsin
I experienced some wind damage to my Carefree curved arms on my 70 Overlander. The arms are not straight now and appear to be twisted a bit. I'm hoping on a warm day I can gently bend the arms back where they should be. Has anyone done this, or am I going to have to replace those arms?
DonFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
All you can do is try. Seems to be hard to get parts for these things as Carefree doesn't seem to support the vintage. Once bent the mast to my sailboat (that is another story). Took it to a seasoned sailer who put it between the fork in a tree and bent back like new so anything is possible.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Do you have the Carefree awning manual on PDF?
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #17

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rhinos View Post
Do you have the Carefree awning manual on PDF?

There's one attached to post #9 of this thread. Hopefully it's what you're looking for.

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 07-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
tucson , Arizona
Carefree endcaps?

Kevin read your post on the carefree awning. I have 74 soverign and wish i would have seen your post anyway tried to release tension and broke one of the endcaps. Would you happen to know where i can replace them both with metal ones? Also most of the tension is off as my awning was held on by about a foot of fabric that gave way and caused the release of the tension. So my awning is 21ft any idea number of revolutions for the spring tension? in addition do i get fabric from carefree or will someone elses fabric work as well?

Thanks in advance!
desertratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Thanks, Kevin, for posting the Carefree instructions. The company's site has zilch on this old of a product.

Having just bought one from the classifieds section... I won't have to scratch my head quite as much now!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
awning info

I am just bumping this thread to have access to the info for when I am ready to replace the fabric on my awning. If it ever stops raining that is!!!! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote