Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

1976 29' Ambassador
orlando , Florida
Bent Zip Dee Awning

We had a bad rainstorm the other night while the main awning on our 1976 Ambassador was open. The weight of the water bent the main support beam and folded it to the ground. After the storm, I did my best to bend it back and was able to get it to role most of the way up. What are my options now? Is this repairable or do I have to replace it? I am in the Orlando Florida area. Thanks for any help avaliable.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjudd View Post
We had a bad rainstorm the other night while the main awning on our 1976 Ambassador was open. The weight of the water bent the main support beam and folded it to the ground. After the storm, I did my best to bend it back and was able to get it to role most of the way up. What are my options now? Is this repairable or do I have to replace it? I am in the Orlando Florida area. Thanks for any help avaliable.
Bending the roller tube back into shape rarely works, since the bend in the tube, if you wish, has destroyed the tube.

Contact your insurance company and replace the roller tube.

Andy

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You'll need a new tube at least. Depending on the condition of the fabric, you may want to replace that as well. The springs should be okay, as should the arms, as long as they weren't bent.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
plano , Texas
Sorry to hear about your failure. Mine was less catastrophic. Mine was the telescoping arm bent between the intentional bend and the hole that retains the telescoping section when retracted.

Andy/Terry,

Can this be successfully straightened? At this point, I can extend my awning but it does not have sufficient tension on it and it pops in the wind so I don't open it.

FYI. this is the right awning arm (not the spring tension arm).

-thomas
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschat View Post
Sorry to hear about your failure. Mine was less catastrophic. Mine was the telescoping arm bent between the intentional bend and the hole that retains the telescoping section when retracted.

Andy/Terry,

Can this be successfully straightened? At this point, I can extend my awning but it does not have sufficient tension on it and it pops in the wind so I don't open it.

-thomas
Photo's ??

Andy
Old 01-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Andy/Terry,

-thomas
You can try bending it back, but I've always found it will never be "right", no matter how much you tweak it.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I did the same to mine a few years back. ZipDee worked with me to get it working again. They agreed to straighten the inner pieces (steel) of the arms and I purchased new outer pieces (aluminum). It was a costly mistake on my part by not having one end lower to allow the rain to run off quickly.

Give them a call and see what you can work out.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Went to RV Show here in Tampa, FL yesterday. Several seminars, one guy said this about awnings. "If you're leaving for the day, roll it up. If you're going to bed, roll it up. This way you won't have to worry about rainstorms and heavy winds destroying your awning."
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I agree With Craz. I learned my lesson. I had ours out here at home and a quickie TS came up and I couldnt get out there quick enough and the wind took the whle thing over the trailer. Tore off one of the rafter arms and it ended up 20 ft away. I was able to reattach the arms with large stainless steel screws and there didnt seem to be any further damage,BUT it has never rolled exactly rite since.
LESSON LEARNED if you are goin to sleep or away ROLL IT. it only takes a few seconds and it dont cost anything.BUT replacing a ZIP DEE Costs a bunch.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Bowed roller Zip Dee awning tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjudd View Post
The dealer in Seffner FL ordered one for me, waiting for it to come in by truck and enjoying the Tampa weather.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I believe there is a YouTube clip made by the President of Zip Dee demonstrating how to fix this.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Photo's ??

Andy
Andy's right photo's would help. Is it the roller tube or an arm, the video Zip Dee has on Youtube is for an adjustment on an arm but not one bent severly, would weaken the arm like bending a spoon back.
Either way parts can be gotten for the Zip Dee, an insurance claim may be the way.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:

Andy/Terry,

-thomas
I took the parts and used clamps and lengths of pipe as holders and levers to tweak them back. Quite a bit of tweaking, are quite small. If you have one handy, you could also try an 800# gorilla.

Zipdee Linda recommended using the receiver hitch as a tweaker.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Visalia , California
Zip Dee support arms, bent tweaked, bent tweaked, bent tweaked---gave up and ordered stainless steel arms, no more bent arms. They are worth the money from Zip Dee Co.