Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Bad Awning Installation

Many years ago a PO installed the Carefree Awning on my 72 Argosy. They did a poor job and installed it cockeyed. In the pictures below, the center shot shows the forward arm of the awning out of plumb (so is the back arm - both are parallel). On both the front and back arms the center bracket is attached on a seam line, but as you can see from the right photo, the lower bracket on the front is attached about an inch forward of the seam line, and on the left photo you can see the bottom bracket is attached centered on the seam line (hard to see the seam but it is). This has caused stress on the whole awning system over the years. Problems now associated with this stress are 2 bracket screws have ripped out, the back awning arm has a slight twist in it, and the awning is difficult to open and close. I've taken the screws out of the bottom brackets and tried to push the top of the awning back toward the front end to straighten it out before moving and reattaching the front lower bracket, but I can't get the awning to budge and I don't want to apply a lot of force on it. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning issue 2 copy.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	170107  

Old 10-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is the bracket in the wrong place of has the awning slid backwards a little? There is not reason you can't relocate the bracket but make sure you don't have other issues. If the forward bracket is in the wrong place the rear arm should be straight and the front one canted as shown by your photos. If both arms are canted in the same direction the awning has slid back.

I don't know how your awning is attached at the roof. The Zip Dee awnings have a slot and the whole thing floats to a certain degree.

Perry

Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It may not be a bad installation at all
Appears to me the awning has slid rearward in its track.
If so, Just slide the whole thing forward until awning brackets are plumb, then replace the "stop" that is supposed to keep it where it belongs.
Carefree makes a good awning.
In fact, they may be a stronger awning than the more popular Zip Dee.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Notice the different-colored oval on image 3? On my Overlander, that space was covered by an emblem which certified RV worthiness (I forget the exact wording).

My Overlander's awning's original installers RELOCATED the emblem just to the left so that the awning arm could be located DIRECTLY OVER the emblem's original location.

A similar course of action on your part may help your effort.

Odd that the emblem is MIA with the mounting holes filled with rivets.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Tom W. I removed the emblem when I first started to explore the issue. Figured I could just relocate it.
Alumaholic and perryg114, I'll try removing a stop and see if I can slide it forward.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 10-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Look at both arms. If they are both messed up then moving the awning in the track will just move the problem to the back.

Perry
Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Better yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Look at both arms. ...
Post a picture of the other arm.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumaholic View Post
it may not be a bad installation at all
appears to me the awning has slid rearward in its track.
If so, just slide the whole thing forward until awning brackets are plumb, then replace the "stop" that is supposed to keep it where it belongs.
Carefree makes a good awning.
In fact, they may be a stronger awning than the more popular zip dee.

+1

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Well, it was a bad installation back in the day. I disconnected the bottom brackets, both front and rear (leaving the upper brackets attached) from the vertical arms and gently maneuvered the awning forward. This caused the vertical arms to become plumb, and the back vertical arm to align with its bottom bracket. The front vertical arm now has moved about 1-1/2” toward the rear of its lower bracket. The twist that was evident in both vertical arms is now gone.
There was torque applied to the vertical arms because the front lower bracket was attached too far forward, and over the years this torque caused the bolts in the lower brackets to vibrate loose, as well as one of the lag screws on the front upper bracket.
Now I’ve moved the front lower bracket back to a neutral position, but I’ve discovered another issue. The lag bolts that were used to attach the brackets did not go through the belly band, exterior skin and into the floor plywood, but only through the belly band and exterior skin.The attachment point is slightly above the plywood floor.

I’m now in the process of trying to figure out how to re-attach these lag bolts in a more functional manner.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Update:
I changed the lag bolts up by one size and carefully screwed them in - viola! Re-caulked all the way around and now just waiting for spring (while I work on the interior).
Old 12-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
DryFly

Glad that upsizing the lag bolts seems to have worked, at least for now. You may want to apply some caulking or sealer to the lag bolt threads to keep the lag bolts from loosening up. I don't have a recommendation for what to use, sorry.

Dan