Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
A couple of weeks ago at the Florida State Rally we had a visit and seminar from a ZD tech. He was ask about tying down ZD awning. His answer left little mystery as to ZDs opinion on this. Answer, Do Not Ever Tie Down a ZD Awning.
Hmmm. That's interesting. First time I've ever heard this. With all due respect, I'd question that "policy" ... I don't believe in permanent tie-downs, but they make sense in the short term.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
As a former sailor I am attuned to the wind and I do use tie downs because I can see that awning is protected from normal gusts. I believe the tie downs have allowed me to use the awning at times that I would have stowed it without tie downs.
But, I never leave the awning deployed when we leave the site or go to bed. I have seen ruined awnings and I do not want to see that on my trailer.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Awnings

Awnings today, are far from cheap.

If a sudden gust of wind hits an awning that's on a travel trailer or motorhome, it can not only damage the awning, but also the coach.

Zip Dee has a "center support" that's used on awnings 12 feet long or longer. It acts as a third arm if you wish, which adds much more "hold down" that helps guard against those sudden gusts.

Anything used to hold the awning in place, when wind gusts show up, is well worth the investment in whatever is used, along with the time.

Also, awnings have been known to cause damage not only to the coach it was mounted on, but some other coaches as well. Then the problem can become very serious because of liability.

The liability guilt becomes very easy, in spite of an "act of god", simply because no addition effort was made to at least try to protect the awning.

With law suits being as crazy many times as they are today, protecting one's awning from hurting someone else or their property, is a very good thing to do, just in case. It may never happen, but "peace of mind" has many good results.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
That was my original thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
As a former sailor I am attuned to the wind and I do use tie downs because I can see that awning is protected from normal gusts. I believe the tie downs have allowed me to use the awning at times that I would have stowed it without tie downs.
But, I never leave the awning deployed when we leave the site or go to bed. I have seen ruined awnings and I do not want to see that on my trailer.

Larry
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Dirt and moisture on the awning

Hi guys. Because I parked seasonal under trees I'm getting a lot of pollen combined with moisture on the awning. So I tend to leave the awning out longer than I would normally because I'm concerned about rolling it up with all the dirt and moisture on the awning.
I have been trying to clean it but it's not easy.
So my question is is it OK to roll the awning up if it has some dirt and or if it's wet or is it best practice to clean it every time.
I know I've been taking some risks but I tend to leave my awning out with extra tiedowns and just check the wind forecast before hand before leaving. So far I've had no issues but I'm thinking this could lead to a future problem .
This is my first ever season and are now full timing in a 23D.
PTAHERNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If awnings were an option, I wouldn't order one.
I've never spent my days sitting under the awning.
I have rarely unfurled the ones I've had.
Many campgrounds have trees that prevent using them, or they have a shelter over the table, especially out west where the wind can come up suddenly.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I have a 27' MH, not a TT. For the insecure moment in my mind between mellow weather and the iffy kind, I use ratchet straps from the ends of the roller to the rear bumper and front wheel.
That gives me very good security for a wind from all directions except for downward.
When things are worse, I roll it up.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #28
Air Al

2010 25' FB International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to alreed
Wind Damage to Awning

Speaking of wind and awnings...a strong wind partially pulled away the lower awning bracket from the body of my 2010 25' FB. The bracket is held to the body by two screws and one rivet, and it is the rivet that has pulled away. Has anyone ever replaced one of these rivets with a Pop Rivet gun? Or should I play it safe and have somebody who knows what they're doing do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2327.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	634.4 KB
ID:	316200  
alreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a similar problem. That may be a 3/16" diameter rivet. Added some epoxy behind the bracket.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:24 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Casper , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreed View Post
Speaking of wind and awnings...a strong wind partially pulled away the lower awning bracket from the body of my 2010 25' FB. The bracket is held to the body by two screws and one rivet, and it is the rivet that has pulled away. Has anyone ever replaced one of these rivets with a Pop Rivet gun? Or should I play it safe and have somebody who knows what they're doing do it?

Did you ever get it fixed? This just happened to us. The arm on one side broke away and the lower rivet is pulled out on the other side, just like your picture.
Thank you for any info. you have on repair.
Racheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #31
Air Al

2010 25' FB International
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to alreed
No, I haven't fixed it yet...I'm a bit leery of doing it myself--only one chance to do it right. But a 120 mile round trip (to get to the nearest Air-certified shop) for replacing one rivet doesn't make sense either!
Undecided..
alreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We retract the awning at night, if we are leaving the campground or if a storm is coming. I will leave the roadside canvas out unless it is storming.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote