Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use a pair of 8' bungee cords to tie down my awning. The bungees have a little bit of "give" to them so a sudden gust is less likely to bend anything. And they can't be over-tightened.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
After sitting under the door awning when a micro burst hit and only lasted about 5 minutes it scares me with just a little wind. I was by myself and had no time to pull in 3 arms. Of course kudos to Progessive, I now have 2 new awnings. All the seams popped on both and of course the claws broke. I was told they are made to break so that lessens the damage.

I don't mind the one on the passenger side out cause it is quickly taken in.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
A couple of weeks ago at the Florida State Rally we had a visit and seminar from a ZD tech. He was ask about tying down ZD awning. His answer left little mystery as to ZDs opinion on this. Answer, Do Not Ever Tie Down a ZD Awning.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
Good to know. Not going with a tie down!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 PM   #19
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Learned from Dad: If you think you want to tie down your awning, roll it up! And, roll it up before going to bed.

Several travel trailers Dad had while I was a kid had Zip-Dee awnings, including Airstream and Avion.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Old sailor saying. If you think it might be time to reef the sails it is probably too late. They same might be said for our ZD awnings. Seems almost every camping outing I see someone with a trashed awning from not putting it up before the wind starts blowing too hard. Better safe than sorry.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
A couple of weeks ago at the Florida State Rally we had a visit and seminar from a ZD tech. He was ask about tying down ZD awning. His answer left little mystery as to ZDs opinion on this. Answer, Do Not Ever Tie Down a ZD Awning.
Hmmm. That's interesting. First time I've ever heard this. With all due respect, I'd question that "policy" ... I don't believe in permanent tie-downs, but they make sense in the short term.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
As a former sailor I am attuned to the wind and I do use tie downs because I can see that awning is protected from normal gusts. I believe the tie downs have allowed me to use the awning at times that I would have stowed it without tie downs.
But, I never leave the awning deployed when we leave the site or go to bed. I have seen ruined awnings and I do not want to see that on my trailer.

Larry
Old 04-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Awnings

Awnings today, are far from cheap.

If a sudden gust of wind hits an awning that's on a travel trailer or motorhome, it can not only damage the awning, but also the coach.

Zip Dee has a "center support" that's used on awnings 12 feet long or longer. It acts as a third arm if you wish, which adds much more "hold down" that helps guard against those sudden gusts.

Anything used to hold the awning in place, when wind gusts show up, is well worth the investment in whatever is used, along with the time.

Also, awnings have been known to cause damage not only to the coach it was mounted on, but some other coaches as well. Then the problem can become very serious because of liability.

The liability guilt becomes very easy, in spite of an "act of god", simply because no addition effort was made to at least try to protect the awning.

With law suits being as crazy many times as they are today, protecting one's awning from hurting someone else or their property, is a very good thing to do, just in case. It may never happen, but "peace of mind" has many good results.

Andy
Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Livermore , California
That was my original thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
As a former sailor I am attuned to the wind and I do use tie downs because I can see that awning is protected from normal gusts. I believe the tie downs have allowed me to use the awning at times that I would have stowed it without tie downs.
But, I never leave the awning deployed when we leave the site or go to bed. I have seen ruined awnings and I do not want to see that on my trailer.

Larry
Old 05-26-2017, 04:51 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Manchester , Connecticut
Dirt and moisture on the awning

Hi guys. Because I parked seasonal under trees I'm getting a lot of pollen combined with moisture on the awning. So I tend to leave the awning out longer than I would normally because I'm concerned about rolling it up with all the dirt and moisture on the awning.
I have been trying to clean it but it's not easy.
So my question is is it OK to roll the awning up if it has some dirt and or if it's wet or is it best practice to clean it every time.
I know I've been taking some risks but I tend to leave my awning out with extra tiedowns and just check the wind forecast before hand before leaving. So far I've had no issues but I'm thinking this could lead to a future problem .
This is my first ever season and are now full timing in a 23D.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If awnings were an option, I wouldn't order one.
I've never spent my days sitting under the awning.
I have rarely unfurled the ones I've had.
Many campgrounds have trees that prevent using them, or they have a shelter over the table, especially out west where the wind can come up suddenly.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I have a 27' MH, not a TT. For the insecure moment in my mind between mellow weather and the iffy kind, I use ratchet straps from the ends of the roller to the rear bumper and front wheel.
That gives me very good security for a wind from all directions except for downward.
When things are worse, I roll it up.