Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Awnings and Rain

Quick (and unfortunate) question…

Some idiot rammed into the side of our 2006 AS 28' CCD the other day, exploding the window over the rear dinette seat and damaging the side panel. (Pictures to come, but too painful at the moment.)

Unfortunately, we don't have the time right now to have all the work done that needs to be done. So we've covered the window opening with four sheets of heavy-duty construction plastic sheeting and at least an entire roll of duct tape. I'm pretty sure it's about as water-tight as it can get for now.

Now we're parked in our home (for the time being) and the awning is out.

My question is, will the awning direct water away from the broken window as it comes down from the roof, or will it come sheeting between the awning and the side of the trailer? I took as close a look as I could, and it seems pretty well-sealed where the awning is connected to the shell.

Any thoughts?

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
Quick (and unfortunate) question…

Some idiot rammed into the side of our 2006 AS 28' CCD the other day, exploding the window over the rear dinette seat and damaging the side panel. (Pictures to come, but too painful at the moment.)

Unfortunately, we don't have the time right now to have all the work done that needs to be done. So we've covered the window opening with four sheets of heavy-duty construction plastic sheeting and at least an entire roll of duct tape. I'm pretty sure it's about as water-tight as it can get for now.

Now we're parked in our home (for the time being) and the awning is out.

My question is, will the awning direct water away from the broken window as it comes down from the roof, or will it come sheeting between the awning and the side of the trailer? I took as close a look as I could, and it seems pretty well-sealed where the awning is connected to the shell.

Any thoughts?

--SM
Your temporary setup is OK, as per your description.

Be extremely careful whoever you have do the sheet metal replacement.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the heads up, Andy. We're planning on having the work done by Roger Williams Airstream not far from our home in Texas.

Looks like clouds outside. Maybe we'll find out just how good my plastic and tape job is.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Nothing puts a damper on a vacation than to have something like this happen. Roger Williams Airstream in Texas seems to have a good reputation although I have never used his dealership.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
Thanks for the heads up, Andy. We're planning on having the work done by Roger Williams Airstream not far from our home in Texas.

Looks like clouds outside. Maybe we'll find out just how good my plastic and tape job is.

--SM
Excellent choice.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote