Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Awnings

We just purchased a 68 Overlander. We noticed an awning track on the outside of the trailer. Is this track used to attach the manufacturer's awning or is it for some sort of removable canvas awning where you slide the beads into the track. Attached is a picture of the track...would love input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Hardware 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	11365  
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Awnings

Greetings Uberlanders!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberlanders
We just purchased a 68 Overlander. We noticed an awning track on the outside of the trailer. Is this track used to attach the manufacturer's awning or is it for some sort of removable canvas awning where you slide the beads into the track. Attached is a picture of the track...would love input.
By the 1960s, the awning rail was a standard feature on Airstreams. The actual awning selection was left up to the owner. Pole-type awnings were most common early in the decade, but by mid-decade there were a number of manufacturers of "permanently mounted automatic" awnings including such brands as ZipDee, Carefree of Colorado, and A & E Systems -- today, the only company that seems to reliably support the Vintage market with "permanently mounted automatic" awnings is ZipDee (most of the others have quit making the curved awning support arms that fit the curvature of our Vintage coaches). You can find ZipDee on the web at:

http://www.zipdeeinc.com/

Pole-type awnings can also be sourced locally in most larger cities from shops that make canvas awnings for businesses and homes. They are typically a bit less expensive than the "permanently mounted automatic" awnings, but on an Overlander will likely require two people for the install remove process as the awning fabric must be removed prior to travel which usually means standing on a ladder when installing or removing the fabric.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Wow! Thanks for the quick feedback! We were hoping it was for a pole awning! I guess were purests, I'm sure after a few years of threading the eye of the needle we might change our minds.

I would like to make it myself. Any idea what the hardware is called that threads through the track?
Old 04-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
I would like to make it myself. Any idea what the hardware is called that threads through the track?
I just got a vintage-type awning made for our GlobeTrotter.

It actually has a plastic tube that feeds through the awning rail, it's in a awning fabric casing. I've also seen rope used, but I would think it wouldn't be as stable as the tube and might stretch.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1316.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	11366  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
The trailer my parents had in the 60's had a vinyl part that went in the rail. I looked for something just like it although I didn't know what it was called. Rochford Supply calls it vinyl beaded welt. Here is a link to their page. http://www.rochfordsupply.com/produc..._ProdID_E_3517
Marine supply stores usually have it in different colors, and often you can get it locally. That is what I plan to use.

Kaye
Old 04-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Shari & Kaye,
We would have never thought it was a continuous vinyl tubing. Thanks for the website info. It looks farely inexpensive. Now I just need a pattern, I added that to the other awning discussion today.

Thanks also to the forum in general for making us so welcome. I hope someday we will be able to give advice as well to return the favor.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Old 04-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
For those that use the Pole type awnings - I know some types roll up into a bag that hangs on the rail for travelling and that there is some concern about the bag scratching the aluminum skin.
If you dont use the hanging bag - does that mean you install the awning on the rail each time you want to use it? How long does that take?

Kevin
mbatm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbatm01
For those that use the Pole type awnings - I know some types roll up into a bag that hangs on the rail for travelling and that there is some concern about the bag scratching the aluminum skin.
If you dont use the hanging bag - does that mean you install the awning on the rail each time you want to use it? How long does that take?

Kevin
We don't use the bag for that very reason...it only takes about 10 minutes to set it up...but ours is a shorty...longer ones may take a bit longer. The valance of the vinyl awning we used last year scratched the ends of the trailer at the awning rail pretty bad from flapping in the wind, I can't imagine leaving the whole awning bag on, flapping down the road. Our scratches will buff out pretty easy...just one season.

ZipDees are fixed so they don't have this problem...the bags just hang from the rail.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 04-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
Thanks, Shari.

We have a 63 Safari that we are getting close to completing the renovation on. If all goes well we will make it to the Maintenance rally in May. The awning is a tough decision - I like the vintage look that you achieved. We have decided we definately do NOT want an awning with the side supports bolted to the shell. I have seen some slick awnings like Carefree Colorado that offer Pole and Stake awnings in catalogs - mostly for pop ups, but not sure what will work.

Do ZipDees and Carefree awnings just roll into the bag with the poles and you are finished?

Thanks,

Kevin
mbatm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Awnings

Greetings Kevin!

Quote:
Thanks, Shari.

We have a 63 Safari that we are getting close to completing the renovation on. If all goes well we will make it to the Maintenance rally in May. The awning is a tough decision - I like the vintage look that you achieved. We have decided we definately do NOT want an awning with the side supports bolted to the shell. I have seen some slick awnings like Carefree Colorado that offer Pole and Stake awnings in catalogs - mostly for pop ups, but not sure what will work.

Do ZipDees and Carefree awnings just roll into the bag with the poles and you are finished?

Thanks,

Kevin
ZipDee and Carefree of Colorado are both manufacturers of "permanently mounted automatic" awnings. Both have permanently mounted side arms (I believe that the Carefree arms are more of a rectangular box section while the ZipDee are a much smaller nearly square box tube). The awning material is attached to an awning roller tube that stores against the coach's awning rail -- in the case of the ZipDee, the awning fabric is covered by an aluminum cover when stored that is automatcilly deployed when the awning is stored.

So far as I know, ZipDee doesn't produce any pole-type awnings, but the ZipDee fabric can be purchased from awning specialty shops in a wide variety of color combinations -- one of my good friends had a pole-type awning made for his '60 Overlander from the "Fancy Blue" fabric that is often used in ZipDee awnings found on Airstream coaches. I know very little about the Carefree of Colorado line other than having seen several of their "permanently mounted automatic" awnings on mid-1970s Airstreams at various rallys -- they may offer pole-type awnings, but I don't believe they are in the ZipDee product line based on their website and the literature that I have seen at my Airstream dealer.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Exclamation Kevins...

Quote:
Thanks, Shari.

Thanks,

Kevin
Cool! Hope to meet you soon...even if you only make it out to the May Maintenance Rally for a day sans a trailer! There are usually a dozen of so of vintage trailers at this rally...it would be a great time to check out different awning options...there's some of everything! I know of at least one Carefree awning and one A&E Trimline that are planning on being there...along with 30+ ZipDees both on new & vintage trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
<snip> but the ZipDee fabric can be purchased from awning specialty shops in a wide variety of color combinations -- one of my good friends had a pole-type awning made for his '60 Overlander from the "Fancy Blue" fabric that is often used in ZipDee awnings found on Airstream coaches.
The manufacturer of the fabric that ZipDee makes their awnings from is Sunbrella. As Kevin mentioned it's available from awning shops and online.

Shari

Old 04-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Shari & Kaye,
We would have never thought it was a continuous vinyl tubing. Thanks for the website info. It looks farely inexpensive. Now I just need a pattern, I added that to the other awning discussion today.

Thanks also to the forum in general for making us so welcome. I hope someday we will be able to give advice as well to return the favor.
My brother-in-law stopped using the old canvas awning with the "add-a-room option that my dad bought for his 73.
My dad passed away 19 years ago and the awning has been in storage ever since. It is still like new. My dad NEVER left it attached to the trailer in the winter. We took it down and stored it indoors EVERY fall.
If you would be interested, I could ask my brother-in-law if he wants to part with it and how much he would want for it.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Thanks so much for the offer Lou. I think that we are going to purchase a pole awning from tcti. I think that's the name. It is were Insideout got hers. As I have researched price of fabric locally, with hardware, and elbow grease, I don't think I can make the awning for much cheaper. I'll be sure to keep you all informed.

Kathleen
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Old 04-15-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Zip Dee awning

After installing our new drapes into our 68 overlander (26') (from James P. Ambruso, Inc.), we are now ready to move on to the awning.
Talked to Zip Dee this AM...yow! Lots of parts to the hardware!
Has anyone ordered from Zip Dee and installed the curved awning apparatus themselves?
http://www.zipdeeinc.com/CurvedAwnOp.html

We are "DIY-ers", but would like to hear from those experienced.....
(I am posting pictures of drapes this weekend!)
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I have one on our '75, I did not install it, however be aware of the location of your structural braces. I need to make a modification to mine. One of the upper mounting lag bolts on each side is not mounted through the brace. It goes through the aluminum skin and it is secure as I'd like it. Seems loose and could back out.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote