Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Awning width on 1966, 28' ambassador

Our original Carefree awning has a width of approx. 4-1/2' when extended. Was this the stock width for this era/vintage ? I don't know if the P.O. cut the width back. Looking at the extension bars, I would think that another 18" to 2' could be added ? We are currently looking into replacing the vinyl as it is shot ! Mechanics work fine on the unit but we sure could use a little more width.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I think most of them were 8' from rail to tube. I'll see if I can find a similar one and measure to be sure.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Terry,

Thankyou,
Danny
Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Carefree awning

When you open the awning are you extending the arms out to the maximum? When extended correctly the material should open to expose the roller tube and the awning would be deployed high enough as to not be rubbed by the top of the entry door. Call Carefree of Colorado with the width measurement from the center of one arm to the center of the other arm and they will tell you the width of material you should order. Color now is a very personal choice and they have many selections for you to view before placing any order. Look at the acrylic fabrics as well as the vinyl ones. The acrylic fabrics come in solid colors and are water resistant like vinyl and clean up and last just as long! Good luck! ED
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Ed,

Yes, the vinyl fabric is ALL off of the roller. What makes me think that the P.O. cut/shortened the vinyl is that, the telescoping bracing arms could extend another 18" to 2'. As stated, the awning only pulls out approx. 4-1/2 feet when all of the vinyl is stretched out fully.

Thanks,
Danny
Old 04-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bell View Post
Ed,

Yes, the vinyl fabric is ALL off of the roller. What makes me think that the P.O. cut/shortened the vinyl is that, the telescoping bracing arms could extend another 18" to 2'. As stated, the awning only pulls out approx. 4-1/2 feet when all of the vinyl is stretched out fully.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny, If there is still spring tension on the remaining awning fabric then you can assume that the roller springs are still good. That is a good thing! It sounds as if a previous owner (PO) had cut off the leading edge of the material as it deteriorated over time and re-installed the roller welt or awning rail welt to still be able to use the remainder of the awning material. I think you'll find you are much happier with an awning with the full fabric length when you get new material installed. CAUTION: there is a high amount spring tension on the awning roller springs unless it has been decreased by a previous owners work on your awning! If you are uncomfortable with working on this spring tensioned roller please use an RV service center to install your new fabric. Using the blue tool bar above you can use the search feature to learn more about replacement of awning fabric. Use key words such as: Awning fabric replacement, Carefree awning tension adjustment, Carefree Awning Manual etc. And if all else fails ask questions before you lose fingers! Really! Be safe and remember there are no stupid questions! It's only stupid not to ask for our help here. We are all willing to answer your questions. Good Luck, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I'll second the caution about the spring.
One of my co-workers had his arm seriously injured, nearly broken, by one of those springs when the tool he was using to hold it slipped.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Ed and Terry,

I have read the dangers of the torsion springs in the awning mechanism. I've decided to have a local RV service center install the new fabric. They are also a Carefree dealer. I've spoke with them twice and they said, "unless there is a "stop" in the mechanism, I should be able to gain quite a bit of width from the existing width of 4-1/2'."

I appreciate you guys looking out for my health and well being and fingers ! You guys are quality !

Danny

Tags