Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California
awning support sketchy - normal? (pics)

Howdy folks!

Trying out the awning on our new 69 sovereign and have some questions to confirm (so I don’t break it – not cheap to replace I see!)

So I unlatched both sides and me and the missus pulled it out about 6 feet then I noticed the front lower attachment point was really bowing down and out, like “is this going to rip out/off?” so we put it back away for the day to figure out what’s up.

So photo 1 shows the bracket – turns out a bolt broken, I’ll have to drill is out I suppose? However, the design seems lightweight in general as the missus said her side, with both screws, also looked like it was pulling away from the body – is there a way to beef up the design? A bracket brace or ??

Photo 2 – one piece has pulled out from the other – are these fixable or replaceable? I’m actually not sure what the pieces are for?

Which bring a more general question – what kind of awning is this, and how does it work? I’ve used the search function for a couple hours but couldn’t find anything that appeared to match what I have (plus the photo gallery was down). Maybe the bowing is from my misuse…but I don’t think that much bowing even if so.

Photo 3 just shows another spot where I need to drill out a broken screw, but not sure what it was for to know if I really need to do it?

Thanks all!

- jc
Attached Images

j_c_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Time to get the photo gallery back up

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_c_c
... Which bring a more general question – what kind of awning is this, and how does it work? I’ve used the search function for a couple hours but couldn’t find anything that appeared to match what I have (plus the photo gallery was down)...
I think you have a Carefree brand awning. Some kind soul posted images of the installation & operation manual for your awning in the photos section but, as you have noticed, the gallery is down...

With no updates as to when it will be back up.

Since I too have a Carefree awning, I copied those images some months ago. Email me and I will send you what I copied (PMs do not accept images). I believe it will help your effort.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The bottom bracket that you show in the photo usually has a large lag screw in it holding it to the trailer. BTW, you DO have a Carefree awning. Those bottom brackets normally contain 2 lag screws.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Chateauroux , Indre
yes, definately a Carefree, I have the same one on my 69 Sovereign also, I have the original mounting instructions and can scan them and e-mail them to you if you wish,PM me if you need!
rustic_kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Awning problems

jc, The problems you have pictured are typical issues for older hardware that have been affected by time and weather exposure. I am replacing all the bolts, lockwashers, and nuts on my Carefree this year. The use of aluminum or stainless steel hardware will help eliminate these issues in the future. The lag screws securing the base plate to the trailer actually screws into the floor behind the lower trim strip. you can go with bigger diameter screws but they may not bite into the wood as well as you may want. I am going to use longer lag screws with the same diameter threads as the original screws and hope they will hold better by being deeper into the wood. The problem with the standoff coming apart in the second picture should be easy to repair if the aluminum hasn't broken. Just dis-assemble it and use the one on the other arm as a guide on how to reassemble. Use new hardware and the repair should last! Try not to drill out the bolts in the bottom of the arm(s) in the first picture as you may accidently drill into the aluminum guides. Instead carefully work the ends of the bolt (If broken in two) from either end and try some Breakfree or WD40 to loosen bolt then pull the bolt halves out from each of the ends. Have someone help you by lifting the lower arm up (to remove pressure) while you try to remove the bolt pieces. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote