Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
La Casita
1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I can't lock mine in place either, no matter how hard I pull down on the rafter arm. And I can't extend the awning any more to get the pin to engage/lock. I finally gave up and just locked the Z-lever to secure the extended awning in place (which it says you should NOT do) after the awning rolled-up and ran-away one breezy afternoon. I have used silicone and Inox on the arms - with no change. Actually the rafter arm does slide easily - unlike the main arm assy. I even bought the handles to help and STILL struggle after the roller is too far above my head to push on it.

It was suggested to me to call Zip Dee directly but I STILL haven't made the call.

I'll be following along to see if anyone has an answer.

What sticks out for me is " matter how hard I pull down on the rafter arm ..." If I'm reading that right, it seems like you're working against yourself; shouldn't you be pushing UP on both the awning and the arm?

Dan & Liz H

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Mine Does Not Work as Easy as the Video!

We have a 23 foot Safari and the awning is manageable for the length and spring tension when pulling the awning out. We use the awning for several reasons:
(1) When raining, we have a "dry/drier zone" for entering and exiting. If your awning is at the maximum height, the door clears without dragging against the awning cloth and the seam that is in the arc of the door opening and closing.

The "second click" you will have to push the awning up to avoid constantly wearing into the awning cloth with the top of the door. I do know from other discussions on the Forum about using some roller to avoid this, but never have given that another thought.

The lowest setting you can only squeeze out of the door if you can manage it. We will use the lowest setting during a rain/windy day to avoid damaging the awning support rods. (When we purchased our AS, one of those adjustable rods was bent and it took us several trips to pull it apart and noticed it was bent. I took a flat surface and a rock hammer to get most of the bend out of it to get it to work without the excessive force it took earlier. Zip Dee replaced the inside shaft at no cost and it has worked fine, since.)

(2) Using the extended pole to unwind the end screws and travel hook was a bit of a hassle, so I stand on a five gallon bucket to do those chores. Since we are on some rougher roads, I need to make sure the ends are tight and secure. Over time the awning can move a fraction of an inch, one way or the other, causing the end screws from aligning like they are suppose to, so you will note that they screw down the shaft at an angle. They are secure, but not like the video, when done with little effort.

(3) Camped in the Spring months in higher elevations, we face the door side of the AS towards sunrise. Air temperature in the morning can be 28 degrees F and the radiant heat on the aluminum siding will be 60 degrees F. We open the door and window shades to "heat" the cold interior.

(4) Summer camping the awning is in the second click while in the trailer. If the wind picks up, we can lower the awning or just rewind it until later. When leaving the trailer on a hot day, we put the awning in the lowest position and for a possible wind gust, take one or both ends, tie a cord to a five gallon bucket, with some rocks in each, to keep the awning from being damaged from wind, bending the support rods. It is 20 degrees cooler under the awning and we keep the two dog pet porters in the shade and they love laying in their pet porter keeping a watchful eye for "grizz".

(5) When raining or possible rain, we will set the side away from the door, one click lower. When it rains, the water will run off to the other side. We will dig a small trench to channel the water away from our "dry zone". If you might need water for minor chores, leave a five gallon bucket where the water comes off of the awning. It is safe to drink, dog water or for water that would be otherwise wasted.

(6) If... if we are in Jackson Center, Ohio again, we will have an awning put on the opposite side of our trailer. We think they are wonderful. The wife has me in charge of the awning, as they are not that easy to lock into place. It sure looked easy on the video, but I have not experienced "easy". Maybe that awning was... specially adjusted for the video?? I will pull the center rod out to clean it off, and even swap sides to keep the wear... even.

We use the awning a lot. It is a tool for the back country to keep the AS hot/cool when it is necessary. Like a sail boat, you only need as much "sail" as the circumstances require.

Zip Dee... your awning has held up and we give it a full workout each year.

Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
That's not a BFH........needs to be bigger!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
I to have a problem with the awning. I does seam like you are working against yourself with trying to lock the arms in place . I to have watched the video, twice now. Not to pick on anyone or anybody but he is a rather large man and and has weight on his side,just saying.Don't mean to offend anyone.
Jim D.
AIR # 56543 TAC# CO-10
StreamRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
It's become a joke with us as to how many views of the YouTube video it will take us to get the awning up this time. God forbid were ever anywhere with no mobile reception!! I think we may have actually put it up properly this weekend and it only took 5 of us and 2 phones looking at the video multiple times!! Our friends with their sob rigs with auto awnings think we're nuts but our awning is in perfect shape and I'm sure a new auto one isn't cheap!!
2012 International Serenity 28
2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost TV
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have struggled with the awning too—my wife looks at the video every year and the booklet. Then we forget what to do again. It seems to be something you have to do all the time to remember it. And if it is cool, the awning needs stretching to get the arms out properly.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote