Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Cincinnati , Ohio
Awning runs into door(s) - 16' Bambi

2004 Bambi 16' CCD with factory Zip-Dee awning.

When our awning is deployed in any of the positions provided by the detents in its support arms, the angle of the awning fabric interferes with operation of both the outside and screen doors.

I mean MAJORLY interferes - so much that to open/close either door requires one of us to push up HARD on the fabrice to take the tension off, or to pop the supports out of their detents during the operation, then lock the awning back into place.

The solution seems to be a no-brainer - cut some more detents into the support tubes so that the awning can be locked in at a less steep angle, and allow the doors to clear it. Not so great from a wind a rain perspective, but better than not being able to enter/exit Toasty conveniently.

Before I get out my hacksaw, I'd like a quick wisdom check from the collective. Is this a universal problem with Zip-Dee / AS? Or just with Bambis? Or just with 16' Bambi's? Or just with me because I don't know how to use my awning correctly?

The AS manual is, as so often, not helpful on this subject.

THANKS!
jon

Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No problem here

Mine lightly touches the door, but does not interfere with door operation. The difference may be that you have the narrow-body trailer.

WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Awning

I would call Zip-Dee and tell them of your problem. They are most helpful in all respects.

BTW, I don't have this problem wih my 19CCD.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:43 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Mine rubs the awning, but I just assumed I didn't raise the awning high enough. Mine is on a 30 footer and the awning is heavy and I just didn't raise it all the way to the end of the notches. I left the tail end a little lower for rain water run-off, but it rained this week end and even though the awning wasn't fully raise and was steep, it did collect a fair amount of water.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , Just above the big green spot
We have a 19' Bambi. There is no interference with the door when the awning is in its highest setting - nominal interference at the next setting - "you don't want to do it on a regular basis" kind of interference on the 3rd setting down to "the door just ain't goin' to open" at the lowest (4th) setting.

I don't know why there would be a difference with the 16' - so a call to Airstream might be in order.

Having said that there is a post (I thought in this website but couldn't find it) that suggests a quick fix - and I think had a picture - it is a simple wooden spacer that is fashioned to fit between the awning fabric and the drip rail at the top of the door - and holds the fabric away from the door. You simply put it in place after the awning is deployed and the pressure from the awning holds it against the drip rail.

Good Luck,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty's Dad
2004 Bambi 16' CCD with factory Zip-Dee awning.

When our awning is deployed in any of the positions provided by the detents in its support arms, the angle of the awning fabric interferes with operation of both the outside and screen doors.

I mean MAJORLY interferes - so much that to open/close either door requires one of us to push up HARD on the fabrice to take the tension off, or to pop the supports out of their detents during the operation, then lock the awning back into place.

The solution seems to be a no-brainer - cut some more detents into the support tubes so that the awning can be locked in at a less steep angle, and allow the doors to clear it. Not so great from a wind a rain perspective, but better than not being able to enter/exit Toasty conveniently.

Before I get out my hacksaw, I'd like a quick wisdom check from the collective. Is this a universal problem with Zip-Dee / AS? Or just with Bambis? Or just with 16' Bambi's? Or just with me because I don't know how to use my awning correctly?

The AS manual is, as so often, not helpful on this subject.

THANKS!
jon

Sounds like you have the lower end of the poles extended out, but you still need to extend the upper part up by the roller. When both are fully extended, you should be able to get the awning almost exactly parallel to the ground, and it should not be touching the door at this point.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have to extend my awning up high to get a clearance for my door also. This seems to be an issue I have dealt with since my first days with an SOB. The angle required is probably higher than most of us like, especially if we are dealing with rain or windy conditions.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Crestview , Florida
My parents have this issue with their 30'. They put a "roller"-wheel-on the top of their door so it rolls along the awning. But there is a white area on the awing from where they opened and closed the door so many times. Their awing doesn't seem to go as high as ours-22' Safari. Our awing gets up almost horizontal with the ground!

2005 22' Safari-
...lost her in the divorce-
Would like another (Airstream), please!

FiveGreers is offline   Reply With Quote